20th April 2010, 10:16 PM
Namitha Nicholas

Should I choose Humanities (Arts) or Commerce after 10th if I want to appear in Civil Services Exams later?

I'm a student of Kerala. I've just completed 10th.... I am confused about which stream i would take in +2... The problem is that i hate science.. but i have interest in social science and languages.... I love mathematics too.. I've planned 2 appear 4 the civil service examination in future.. But I don't know which stream would be better 4 that... I also like joining 4 MBA or CA... But there is pressure from my family ... My parents r asking me 2 take science .. I'm sure that I would nvr succeed in my life if i choose something that is uninteresting 4 me... is humanities or commerce better 4 civil services?? which institution would provide coaching 4 civil services after 10nth...??? Would someone plz help me....??? I'm expecting a better reply 4 this

Related Questions:
  1. What should I study in 11th among Science and Humanities to make a career in Civil Services? Procedure to appear in IAS exam if pursue 11th Science?
  2. Study material for preparation for GATE exam? Any free online test series?
  3. Which types of books should be referred for Maths in IAS exam?
  4. Does arts have no scope? Only fools and losers choose Arts stream?
  5. Can I become an Android Apps Developer if study Humanities after completing 10th?
  6. What are better options for me after scoring 8.8 CGPA in class 10th and 50% in class 12th
  7. Which courses can i do in Humanities after passing 10th standard?
  8. Need guidance about choosing course after Matric in Science?
  9. Which is a better stream to follow for economics: Commerce or Arts?
  10. Commerce subjects in Civil Services Exams?
  11. Which stream has more career option between Commerce without Maths and Arts?
  12. Can I join civil services after graduation? Scope for girl candidate in civil services?
  13. What should I study among Humanities and Commerce after completing 10th WBBSE?
  14. Courses available to study for a candidate who has completed 12th Physics through compartmental exam?
  15. Which stream to choose after 10th among Science, Commerce or Arts in order to become an Architect? -- [New]
  16. Arts or Commerce, which has wide scope?
  17. Is it good to choose arts stream in 11th? What are the career opportunities if we choose Arts Stream in 11th? What are the advantages and disadvantages? Is it true that there is no future in Commerce Field?
  18. Procedure and Required Eligibility criteria to give IAS Exam being a candidate pursuing MCA course? Where can I get the forms to apply for this Exam? Which Books should I refer for this Exam if my subject is Commerce?

21st April 2010, 11:28 PM
vike
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Should I choose Humanities (Arts) or Commerce after 10th if I want to appear in Civil Services Exams later?

Dear friend
As far as Civil Services is concerned preparing from arts faculty is a good choice as you can involve yourself in the preparation during your 12th and graduation.
Studying arts improves general knowledge, written ability and analytical approach.
The main reason behind avoiding arts subject by people is that they think there is no future if one doesn't qualify UPSC.
There is a misconception in this regard.
After graduation from arts subject you can take admission in MBA also. Studying arts saves time also. If someone takes science then mostly student spoil one or two year for preparing engg entrances and then go for 4 year B Tech and after that mostly do MBA. So if you go from arts stream you save at least 2-3 years.
Also you can apply for CA(CPT test) with arts stream (min 50% score in BA).
SO there is no obstacle in your future with arts.
Choose what you can study well.

Good Luck

22nd April 2010, 12:27 PM
Harshita21

Default Re: Should I choose Humanities (Arts) or Commerce after 10th if I want to appear in Civil Services Exams later?

hi
you want to be in civil service so I prefer you to do your garduation in Arts becuse every exam eligibility is graduation with minimum 60%and IAS ,IPS like exam contains Syllabus which is easier for Arts-geography,english,histior,gernal knowledge

22nd April 2010, 07:19 PM
Md. Salaam
Banned

in order to appear for civil services exams later in your education career then you should opt taking humanities(arts) stream while studying class 10 +2

23rd April 2010, 01:01 AM
rahul k
Senior Member+++++

dear friend

yes you can choose arts (humanities) and commerse after
10th, if you want to appear in civil servises examinations.
but it is better if you can do from arts. because for this
exams, you need to lots of practise. so, if you are appear
in future for civil servises exams. then its better to choose
arts streams after 10th as well as in graduation......

ok
all the best.

30th April 2010, 04:35 PM
Pathfinder
Senior Member++++

See you should always follow your interest and so I would advice you to go for Arts and Arts is considered as a much easier way to get through civil services exam.

So that would be the best choice for you. Since you dont have interest in science then dont go for it. Its of no use and you can explain your parents about this.

Going for Arts will be a wise choice if you really wanna go for IAS/IPS. My uncle has done the same. He dropped his 11th and in 12th he joined Arts and today he is the IPS officer of Delhi.

So think about it

Cheers

30th April 2010, 05:51 PM
Harshita21

hi

you should go for arts with mathematics because all civil service exam syllabus contain mathematics,history,geography,current affairs.

But commerce subjects are not tkaen in any exam

Most exam covers arts subjects

You should go for it if you want to make your future in civil service

1st May 2010, 02:47 PM
Unregistered

what r the problems if i apply for civil services after doing commerce from 11 & 12. because commerce contain maths which is necessery for civil.plz help.thanks

2nd May 2010, 05:50 PM
amarjit
Senior Member++++

dear,
there will be no problem at all if you apply for civil services after graduation from commerce field.....if you feel any thing difficult after graduation then you can join coaching classes for that subject .....
there are many coaching classes for civil services across the country....

best of luck

2nd May 2010, 08:05 PM
faiyaz
Senior Member++++

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
what r the problems if i apply for civil services after doing commerce from 11 & 12. because commerce contain maths which is necessery for civil.plz help.thanks
Quote:
I m a ssc pased student. I want to appear for ias from comerce faculty because in my city arts faculty is in marathi n i m nt interested in science. So plz help me wat shud i do?
No problem at all dear.

I remembered few years before 2 or 3 years (Not sure) in the toppers list of IAS there was also a lady (Name not remembered) expectablely from Kanpur, she was from commerce background and was a CA and was one of the toppers of that year.

So, the thing that I want to make you understand is that if you are well Focused taht you had to crack Civil service then dont think about all these and just be well focused.

If she can made to top, then why cant you?

Best of Luck

Last edited by faiyaz; 12th May 2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Answered Two Question in one.

8th May 2010, 07:29 PM
Unregistered

I m a ssc pased student. I want to appear for ias from comerce faculty because in my city arts faculty is in marathi n i m nt interested in science. So plz help me wat shud i do?

9th May 2010, 05:32 PM
nikitay

Smile Re: Should I choose Humanities (Arts) or Commerce after 10th if I want to appear in Civil Services Exams later?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namitha Nicholas View Post
I'm a student of Kerala. I've just completed 10th.... I am confused about which stream i would take in +2... The problem is that i hate science.. but i have interest in social science and languages.... I love mathematics too.. I've planned 2 appear 4 the civil service examination in future.. But I don't know which stream would be better 4 that... I also like joining 4 MBA or CA... But there is pressure from my family ... My parents r asking me 2 take science .. I'm sure that I would nvr succeed in my life if i choose something that is uninteresting 4 me... is humanities or commerce better 4 civil services?? which institution would provide coaching 4 civil services after 10nth...??? Would someone plz help me....??? I'm expecting a better reply 4 this

hey!! namitha
I wud advice u to take arts if ur focus is only on becoming IAS. As u said dat u want to do CA den u can take commerce wid maths nd dn't worry u wil still hav d chance to sit for IAS bcoz u hav d option to change the subjects later on while preparing for IAS.. But dn't take science if u do not like it bcoz it wil b difficult for u to cope up...

All the very BEST

14th May 2010, 05:30 PM
haritha preethi

hi.....am also 4m tenth n from tamil nadu.
Any graduation can lead to civil service no doubt abt that but i would better say u can opt any group n specialize ur higher studies after 12th rather than confusing with groups.......my suggestion will be to take the first group " Bio- maths "
Eventhough u dont like science u r under compulsion to shine in all spheres n gain knowledge abt all subjects if u wanna be an IAS. For this , bio - maths will give u a great foundation and the higher studies u want to do is " B.A history "........that is the best choice to click on for civil services easily without giving much importance to marks u score on 12th....

My ambition is tooo the same n wish u all the best. if u can plz reply me n I am Haritha Preethi ..........good luck buddy ! n my id is [email protected]

16th May 2010, 02:32 AM
Unregistered

i have appeared for 12 boards with commerce, n i ll b taking bcom%u2026%u2026 so will bcom help me in doing IAS , plz suggest what to do as indian history and geograplhy would not be there in bcom n that is compulsary for IAS exam%u2026%u2026???????

19th May 2010, 10:20 PM
Unregistered

Which are fields open after doing arts in 11th n 12th

20th May 2010, 03:54 PM
faiyaz
Senior Member++++

Quote:
i have appeared for 12 boards with commerce, n i ll b taking bcom%u2026%u2026 so will bcom help me in doing IAS , plz suggest what to do as indian history and geograplhy would not be there in bcom n that is compulsary for IAS exam%u2026%u2026???????

Yeah definitely you have to study Geography and History.

But that's not the problem.

If you have to become IAS then you have to do that.

If you think that only Arts student can suitablely crack IAS then you are wrong.

Even a Arts,science, engineering student have to study the subject which are not included in there syllabus.

Arts student require to study some Maths, economics Engineering Students requires to study Geography and History as on........

The thing I want to made you understand is that, Persuing B.com, BA, B.sc, B.tech is not the requirement for cracking IAS.

Acquiring Bachelor dergee is just to satisfy the eligibility criteria for Civil service.

Each and every IAS aspirants have to study subjects which they have'nt studied that's because Syllabus of IAS is entirely different thing which has to be covered by every aspirants irrespective of there Stream.

Hope you can understand what I am saying.

Dont worry just go for it. Join a good institute for that they will guide you how to study the subject which you have'nt studied.

20th May 2010, 07:27 PM
prakashbioc

Quote:
Hello
If you want to pursue IAS you can opt for the science stream as well as the Arts. Since most of the toppers are Arts candidates, still science, engineering and medicine field candidates are in the Topper list. This year the UPSC topper is a medical Doctor. So go in your field of interest and take the coaching in the respective field in the UPSC. Thats it !!!!!!!!!

21st May 2010, 01:14 AM
imira
Senior Member+++++

Great to know that you have set your goals now itself and it is definitely not a bad choice. If you have made up your mind for civil services and a management line, then it would be a good choice to go for humanities and commerce stream as a good understanding on financial principle can help you in any stream in the future. There are many institutions like Brilliant which offer training on civil services exams. In Kerala, Seshans academy is also a good choice.

23rd May 2010, 10:09 AM
Unregistered

i want to opt arts but confused in subjects give me solution for it and for IAS also ?

29th May 2010, 07:28 PM
kaushu
Senior Member++++

It will be easier to go for IAS from arts stream, but if you are well focused, there is nothing bad in going for commerce and then appearing for IAS.

Though it is always said to go for arts but i don't think any point if you are determined and hard working.

31st May 2010, 04:25 PM
Unregistered

hi i m rajat jain i have opted coomerce in 11 but my dream is to become IAS officer. is there any disadvantage for me?

2nd June 2010, 05:45 PM
faiyaz
Senior Member++++

Quote:
hi i m rajat jain i have opted coomerce in 11 but my dream is to become IAS officer. is there any disadvantage for me?

No disadvantage at all dear.

You are studing Commerce that is a ifferent matter and you want to become IAS its a different matter.

There is nothing to worry, just first of all complete your +2 with good score complete your Graduation or CA does'nt matters. And then take your step forward for IAS. Join a good Institute it is very important to do so, and give up your self for it, and keep this attitude alive.

Regards
~Faiyaz~

2nd June 2010, 05:52 PM
sarath menon

Quote:
my friend i am also from kerala if u planning for mba the best choice is commerce!!!!! i took computer science and am struglling to get seat in colleges were as mba seats are so easy to get try to join commerse make sure u make your parents understand your goal they will help u bye.......

2nd June 2010, 08:17 PM
help100%

Look dear the very first thing you have to do is to first convince your parents that what you want to be any what is you like and dislike, look there is way of convincing your parents.
First thing you should say to your parents that look if you are trying to force me this way then the thing to me will be of no interest rather it will be a burden for me.
secondly ,if this way the matter doesn't get diluted then convey your parents that if something went wrong during the session of +2 like give some examples like if i fail in subject or if i get frustrated or if my heath start deteriorating then you(parents) will be blamed for it no one else.

thirdly ,if this way even the matter cant be diluted ,then take your own decision and opt for what stream you like for, because your parents are here right now but not after 50 or 60 years so at that time you will be in vain not your parents.

so, i think you got my point.So better choice that stream which you like the most.
Look another thing i want to make it clear that what ever you stream you opt for there are many career options available, don't think that science stream has got only the widest option.
So, if you like MBA or CA better opt for commerce and if you want to join Civil Service then better opt for humanities(arts).
And beside this career option there are many more options are also left with.

For any further queries regarding profession or career option you are free to ask here.
Best of Luck,
help100%

2nd June 2010, 10:17 PM
Akshara V

you can choose either humanities or commerce after tenth.... humanities(arts) give more light towards your choice

2nd June 2010, 11:11 PM
Unregistered

dear sir, i'am quite gud at ratifying the things.
i'am quite gud in studies.i think i wanna be a doctor.
plzzz guide me

5th June 2010, 01:59 PM
Unregistered

hello sir/madam....
i m a commerce student , i have passed my 12th . i want to b an IAS.
i want suggestion what to persue in collage . i looking forward for b.com, but will it b fine for IAS.
i also wants to know that b.com (pass course) will b better or b.com honours.
will the subjects in b.com r helpful or not...............
pls help me / thanks
waiting for reply

6th June 2010, 08:56 PM
faiyaz
Senior Member++++

Quote:
hello sir/madam....
i m a commerce student , i have passed my 12th . i want to b an IAS.
i want suggestion what to persue in collage . i looking forward for b.com, but will it b fine for IAS.
i also wants to know that b.com (pass course) will b better or b.com honours.
will the subjects in b.com r helpful or not...............
pls help me / thanks
waiting for reply

IF you want to be an IAS officer it good.

Studing B.com or BA which will help in IAS that's not a factor, what do you want to study, which subject would you enjoy studing is all that matters.

If you want to study B.com then study B.com better opt for B.com (Honours). Then move forward towards IAS.

Syllabus of IAS is entirely different it is mixture of all subject science, arts and commerce all and the whole methodology is different. So dont worry about it.

Just study the subject which will best suites you.

6th June 2010, 09:10 PM
satyavani
Senior Member++

Quote:
Which are fields open after doing arts in 11th n 12th
hi,
after doing 12th for an arts student there are many fields open,
you can go for ba and later try for civil services or any other exms conducted by upsc,
you can also try for nda to joiin the indian army,
there are also many vocational courses available,
all the best

8th June 2010, 06:19 PM
Unregistered

dear sir/mam,
em a ludhiana resident...nd quite gud at studies...need a advice...my ultimate goal is civil srvices...nd em planning 2 opt 4 commerce...will it be fine???
nd is it helpful for preparing 4 ias nd pcs.....plz help me ..em in a big dilemma for stream selection whether science or commerce...will doing mba build up a gud future 4 me??

16th June 2010, 01:15 AM
raghav*

It is always recommended to go for arts if you want to give CS exam.
It helps as you already study the same syllabus required in the exam.

21st June 2010, 05:20 PM
Unregistered

hi!!! i am aishwarya.
i am confuse about should i choose bifocal or general????????
& which r subjects r best 4 science????
can u help me!!!

24th June 2010, 12:25 PM
bholag

dear friend,
subject doesn't matter it is totally dependent on your interest.

for civil service you have to
first complete your graduation
then you will be able to sit for it .
And the exam is conducted by UPSC
so for more details visit website:
www.upsc.gov.in
good luck for your future

15th July 2010, 10:25 PM
Hitha Nanjappa

to appear in civil sevices.. u should have bachelors degree in any fiels... arts, science or commerce doesnt matter... then appear for a subject based on ur specialisation in your entrance exam..

8th August 2010, 04:32 PM
Unregistered

Dear sir, I am Fine Arts student of painting ,can I appear in Civil services exam?

please help me.

29th December 2010, 10:31 PM
Unregistered

hey guyss i m a student of class 10th and guyss i m realy resly vry confused that wht shuld i opt aftr 10th i hate science soo i'll be nt gong fr it bt i m confusd b/w humanities n commerce i m gud at mathss but i want to go to the counsellng sideeeand study sicology plzzzz give yur suggstonss fr mee i wil be realy thnkfull 2 evryone.......

31st January 2011, 07:29 PM
mychandru024

it doesn't matter whatever you choose..... go for commerce.

25th February 2011, 03:49 PM
manish2588

now a days arts subjects are gaining more and more poplarity over any other subjects

therefore iwould recommend you to go arts stream
as it will be more helpfull to you in the later stage specially related
to your general studies and essay part which are compulsary ...

20th March 2011, 09:49 PM
daks narang

Quote:
Namitha!Iwould appreciate that your interests are exactly right to enter in civil services.I would suggest you to opt for humanities stream because as per your interests you will be able to do MBA and can strengthen your base in social science,history,economics.Convince your parents for that,believe they understand you.You can GET coaching from 'RAU'S IAS COACHING CENTER',chandigarh.And yes, appear for the exam after 21 yrs. of age conducted by UPSC.

22nd March 2011, 08:37 PM
Unregistered

i am a 10th class student...i want to appear 4 civil services examination...i am 2 weak in maths so i wont be taking it...also want to take up commerce and do eng hon. before undertaking civil services exam.....as i am nt so interested in arts...so if i dnt take maths as my main subject till 12th...wl it affect my appearance in I.A.S exam ?

14th April 2011, 04:47 AM
Unregistered

Red face Re: Should I choose Humanities (Arts) or Commerce after 10th if I want to appear in Civil Services Exams later?

[QUOTE=faiyaz;75801]Yeah definitely you have to study Geography and History.

Ya,We hav to do other subjects also...
But if we dont hav the basics in 11th and 12th... how vil we do it???
Can u pls suggest some alternatives too...
Hope u solve my confusion...
Tk cr...

2nd June 2011, 04:08 PM
Unregistered

sir i hv taken arts in 11 n i wnt to appear in nda exam wt shud i do

9th June 2011, 01:23 PM
Unregistered

which strem should i take in commerce general or bifocal
wht r the advantages of taking bifocal

16th July 2011, 05:06 PM
Unregistered

hi. iam geeta iam residing in delhi.
I want to become an IAS officer but my mother has health problems .due to i want to join as a IAS officer in delhi to take of her .so is it
depend on the rank or else.kindly reply me a.s.a.p

26th September 2011, 11:03 AM
saugata2008

First thing you have to keep in mind that any graduate can apply for IAS exam .There is no notified branch in the eligibility criteria of IAS .So you have to do graduation in any stream first to apply for IAS .As 10th is the deciding stage ,so before taking any decision think heard and go in that way where you are interested most .

Thank you

30th September 2011, 02:13 PM
Unregistered

i m in 10 std and want to take arts but i dont know wat all can i become in my life if i take arts

12th November 2011, 05:02 PM
Unregistered

Should I choose Science or Arts or Commerce after 10 if i want to appear in Civil Services Exam later ?

21st January 2012, 04:03 PM
Unregistered

I am a student from mumbai.... i am in my 10th... i am interested in languages social studies and science for dat matter....but i am very weak in maths...and not dat good in science but its interesting...what field should i choose after my 10th wat wud be the best option for me??? ...can i opt for arts??? also wat if i wanna go 4 mba??lemme noe plz......... thanx in advance

25th January 2012, 08:44 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up Re: Should I choose Humanities (Arts) or Commerce after 10th if I want to appear in Civil Services Exams later?

if you consider my opinion.............go as per your interest. I myself am 10 CLASS student and i have set same goal as you and i would like to pursue a career in commerce

30th March 2012, 07:27 PM
Unregistered

what can we do after takin science

Do you have any question? or have anything to say?