23rd March 2011, 01:18 PM
raghav s

Field to choose after 10th standard to become an IAS officer with interest in Social studies?

Hii...
I have just passed my 10th. I have interest in S.St and now I want to become an I.A.S. But, what should I do in 11th so that my interest remains in the subject or should I do anything else like C.A. or Marine engineering. Someone suggested me:
Arts in 11th(with history as optional)<history owners form a recognized university<I.A.S mains
Thank you

23rd March 2011, 01:48 PM
rks@estate
Senior Member+

Default Re: Field to choose after 10th standard to become an IAS officer with interest in Social studies?

Hiiiiiii,

IAS (Indian Administrative Service) examinations are conducted by UPSC (Union Public Service Commission).

To become an IAS officer in future........

After 10th standard you can do 12th and after that you can do graduation.

Graduation Level Courses are: - B.E. or B.Tech. or B.Sc. or B.Com. or BBA or BCA or B.A. etc.

Eligibility criteria for IAS Exam are as follows: -

1. Pass graduation / Bachelor’s degree in any subject or in any engineering stream or equivqlent from a recognised institute / university.

2. Age - 21 Years to 30 Years for General candidates, 21 Years to 33 Years for OBC candidates and 21 Years to 35 Years for SC / ST candidates.

3. Nationality - Indian

NOTE: - Final year appearing candidates can also apply.

All the Best
23rd March 2011, 02:46 PM
SANDEEP891985
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Field to choose after 10th standard to become an IAS officer with interest in Social studies?

Hello friend,
If you are very clear about becoming an IAS officer, no matter which stream you study, you will need to work hard. Since, you are interested in Social studies, I would prefer Arts as your stream of study. You dont need to go for any professional study like CA or marine engineering to become an IAS officer.
The IAS examination comprises of preliminary exam (CSAT) and Main examination.
The current syllabus for the IAS examination are as follows
Civil Service Aptitude Test

Paper 1
Current events of national and international importance
History of India and Indian national movement
Indian and World Geography- physical, social, economic geography of India and the world
Indian Polity and governance – constitution, political system, panchayati raj, public policy, Rights issues, etc.
Economic and social development – sustainable development, poverty, inclusion, demographics, social sector initiatives etc.
General issues on environmental ecology, bio-diversity and climate change
General science.

Paper 2
Comprehension
Interpersonal skills including communication skills
Logical reasoning and analytical ability
Decision making and problem solving
General mental ability
Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude etc. (Class X level),
Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. –Class X level)
English language comprehension skills (Class X level)

The compulsory subjects for the Main exam are one Indian language, English, Essay and General studies.
As far as optional papers are concerned, you will have to choose any two subjects out of the following list
Agriculture Mathematics, Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science, Mechanical Engineering Botany, Medical Science, Chemistry, Philosophy, Civil Engineering, Physics, Commerce,Political Science ,Economics ,Psychology Electrical Engineering Public Administration, Geography, Sociology, Geology, Statistics, Indian,History, Zoology,Law.

First of all, you should carry on your studies with the subjects and area of your interest. Taking one step at a time is also better for a better and successful career.
23rd March 2011, 04:33 PM
sudhanraj

Hai. I appreciate your aim. All that begines well ends well. After your 10th you can opt for COMMERCE & ACCOUNTANCY group in your higher secondary. It will take you a right path to your career (IAS). Or you can choose BIOLOGY group and you can take B.Sc Agriculture in college and you can appear for UPSC. For your consent My Former District collecter Ms. P. Amudha I.A.S., is an B.Sc Agri student in her college. If you choose engineering the opted engineering coures in Civil service exam is CIVIL ENGINEERING, EEE, MECHANICAL ENGINEERING. If you have only that single aim (i.e., to become an IAS OFFICER) you can choose the COMMERCE GROUP in your higher secondary as i mentioned above. ALL THE BEST. HARD WORK WILL GIVE YOU SUCCESS.. Thank you..
23rd March 2011, 05:45 PM
bhavna04
Senior Member+

Hello friend,

You should have to choose the commerce subjects or arts as your interest.

In this exam general english, general knowledge and a language subjects is compulsory.

but in optional subjects a lot of option is avliable for choose.

List of Optional Subjects for Civil Services exam.

Agriculture
Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science
Botany
Chemistry
Civil Engineering
Commerce
Economics
Electrical Engineering
Geography
Geology
Indian History
Law
Mathematics
Mechanical Engineering
Medical Science
Philosophy
Physics
Political Science
Public Administration
Psychology
Statistics Sociology
Zoology
27th March 2011, 06:26 PM
aditya436
Senior Member++++

Thumbs up Re: Field to choose after 10th standard to become an IAS officer with interest in Social studies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav s View Post
Hii...
I have just passed my 10th. I have interest in S.St and now I want to become an I.A.S. But, what should I do in 11th so that my interest remains in the subject or should I do anything else like C.A. or Marine engineering. Someone suggested me:
Arts in 11th(with history as optional)<history owners form a recognized university<I.A.S mains
Thank you
Friend

its very early decide..as you're in just 11th..

don't worry about it much

do your bachelors of any stream no matter what it is because as the UPSC for Civils doesn't demand you the particular degree

and complete your teen age and enter into 21 then look for

civils notifications

fill the form

clear all the stages of the exam and then become a civil servant

that's all

best wishes

~aditya~
6th April 2011, 08:50 PM
Unregistered

I want to become an I.A.S. officer . I am thinking to take Non -Medical as stream in 11th . Is it right to take Non Medical?
11th April 2011, 06:54 PM
kapila Chaudhary
Senior Member++++

IAS exams are conducted by UPSC as civil services exams.
For UPSC IAS exam ,you must have Graduation degree from a recognized university.
Complete your studies first.There is not any restriction for choosing subjects & stream of your study.

ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA:
Educational Qualifications for IAS :
Bachelor’s degree of a recognized university with at least one of the subjects namely Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science, Botany, Chemistry, Geology, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics and Zoology or a Bachelor's degree in Agriculture, Forestry or in Engineering or an equivalent qualification.

Age limit: 21 years must be completed on 1st August of the year, which a candidate is appearing. Maximum 30 for general category, 33 for OBCs and 35 for SCs/STs.

Number of Attempts
Four attempts for open, seven for OBCs and no limit for SCs/STs. If a person appears in the Preliminary Examination or even one paper is counted as an attempt.

For more details,you can see the website:
www.upsc.gov.in

Regards
~Kapila~
11th April 2011, 07:01 PM
kapila Chaudhary
Senior Member++++

IAS exams are conducted by UPSC as civil services exams.
For UPSC IAS exam ,you must have Graduation degree from a recognized university.
Complete your studies first.There is not any restriction for choosing subjects & stream of your study.

ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA:
Educational Qualifications for IAS :
Bachelor’s degree of a recognized university with at least one of the subjects namely Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science, Botany, Chemistry, Geology, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics and Zoology or a Bachelor's degree in Agriculture, Forestry or in Engineering or an equivalent qualification.

Age limit: 21 years must be completed on 1st August of the year, which a candidate is appearing. Maximum 30 for general category, 33 for OBCs and 35 for SCs/STs.

Number of Attempts
Four attempts for open, seven for OBCs and no limit for SCs/STs. If a person appears in the Preliminary Examination or even one paper is counted as an attempt.

For more details,you can see the website:
www.upsc.gov.in

Regards
~Kapila~
1st May 2011, 04:32 PM
Unregistered

how many papers are in the I.A.S. exam and how much marks are alloted to each paper?
16th May 2011, 03:56 PM
Unregistered

which group should i take in my inter which is easy to become an ias officer????????
20th May 2011, 06:14 PM
Unregistered

I AM FEARING THAT FEW PEOPLES ARE GONE TO DO THIS JOB BUT FEW ARE FAILED IN INTERVIEW ONLY I AM FEARING ABOUT THAT ONLY
24th May 2011, 06:35 PM
Unregistered

Hiii,I AM WAITING FOR MY 10th RESULT ?IAM IN CONFUSION??I WANT TO CHOOSE COMMERCE WITH MATHS IN 11th. IS IT WRITE OPTION
IF I WANT TO BECOME AN IAS OFFICER????? PLZ HELP ME.
26th May 2011, 08:01 PM
Unregistered

I HAVE JUST COMPLETED SSC AND I M WILLING TO DO IAS.
HOW SHOLD I GET ON IT
26th June 2011, 10:55 PM
Unregistered

i passed my 10th class. i want to become an ias officer. plz help me. for the subjects in 11th and 12th class.
18th July 2011, 06:30 PM
Unregistered

I want to be an IAS officer. i scored 90.36% in 10 class. i secured 147 in maths and 98 in science. which field should i choose.
21st February 2012, 08:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDEEP891985 View Post
Hello friend,
If you are very clear about becoming an IAS officer, no matter which stream you study, you will need to work hard. Since, you are interested in Social studies, I would prefer Arts as your stream of study. You dont need to go for any professional study like CA or marine engineering to become an IAS officer.
The IAS examination comprises of preliminary exam (CSAT) and Main examination.
The current syllabus for the IAS examination are as follows
Civil Service Aptitude Test

Paper 1
Current events of national and international importance
History of India and Indian national movement
Indian and World Geography- physical, social, economic geography of India and the world
Indian Polity and governance – constitution, political system, panchayati raj, public policy, Rights issues, etc.
Economic and social development – sustainable development, poverty, inclusion, demographics, social sector initiatives etc.
General issues on environmental ecology, bio-diversity and climate change
General science.

Paper 2
Comprehension
Interpersonal skills including communication skills
Logical reasoning and analytical ability
Decision making and problem solving
General mental ability
Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude etc. (Class X level),
Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. –Class X level)
English language comprehension skills (Class X level)

The compulsory subjects for the Main exam are one Indian language, English, Essay and General studies.
As far as optional papers are concerned, you will have to choose any two subjects out of the following list
Agriculture Mathematics, Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science, Mechanical Engineering Botany, Medical Science, Chemistry, Philosophy, Civil Engineering, Physics, Commerce,Political Science ,Economics ,Psychology Electrical Engineering Public Administration, Geography, Sociology, Geology, Statistics, Indian,History, Zoology,Law.

First of all, you should carry on your studies with the subjects and area of your interest. Taking one step at a time is also better for a better and successful career.
hi. can i choose field science?
22nd February 2012, 12:13 AM
martha.anjaneyulu
Senior Member+++

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav s View Post
Hii...
Thank you
HI!
If you want to become I.A.S you have to pass graduation with any stream you want...
After graduation you can apply for I.A.S exam.
I.A.S exam is conducted by U.P.S.C once in a year.

Age should be in between 21-30 year. For ST/SC candidate age should be in between 21-33 year.

You can apply online or offline.
The Form cost is just 50 Rs.
For more detail log on to www.upsc.gov.in

ALL THE BEST!
15th December 2013, 04:25 PM
Unregistered

What are the duties of an ias officer
15th December 2013, 04:26 PM
Unregistered

What are the duties of an ias
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?