28th April 2010, 01:08 AM
prajapati014

How to improve communication skills? Books for improving communication skills?

I want to ask that my English communication is not so good .So what should I do to improve it. if you have any book suggestion then plz reply?????

28th April 2010, 04:41 PM
kusum lata

Default Re: How to improve communication skills? Books for improving communication skills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajapati014 View Post
I want to ask that my English communication is not so good .So what should I do to improve it. if you have any book suggestion then plz reply?????
you have to spek out short-short sentences to your companions & also read out enlgish newspaper and thouse words u can't understand write them on your note book and find its meaning you have not need any books and extra becoz we kept books but can't read so take a newspaer frontpage and read it for 1 week than u find that ur english is improving.
28th April 2010, 07:22 PM
amarjit
Senior Member++++

Default Re: How to improve communication skills? Books for improving communication skills?

dear,
the best way to improve communication skills is to learn it gradually....

first of all you should be a good listener before becoming a good narrator....

make a habit of hearing BBC news daily.....have patience and notice the way and the style of speaking English ........now try implementing what you have learned ......
try speaking to your brother in english...and try to express your self to him in english.....dont be in a hurry....take some time but make sure that the message is conveyed ........

you can also refer some standard books for communication skills available in the book store.......

best of luck
29th April 2010, 02:54 PM
Pathfinder
Senior Member++++

The best thing you can do is do a lot of reading of newspapers, Magazines, watch English news channel.

This will really help you in improving your communication skills. You can even buy some books from which teach you proper grammar and communication skills

There are also some centers which teach you how to speak in public, present yourself etc. You can also apply for these types of institutes

Cheers and keep reading
29th April 2010, 04:41 PM
sonu sharma

Dear sir/medam,
recently i passed 12th class with 62% marks fron NIOS board in 2009 but i have passed 10th class with the additinal subject(word-processing)instead of science.Can i apply for jbt at this condittion with the additinal subject in 10th class.I have marks in 10th class 45%.I am eligable for jbt course?
Plz reply me as soon as possible.

Thanking you
Your's Obidently
Sonu Sharma
29th April 2010, 05:58 PM
nandhinikuttyrajan

Smile Re: How to improve communication skills? Books for improving communication skills?

Quote:
hai friend,
to improve your communucation skills just read story books,newspapers,
watch news like cnn etc.,to improve your grammar work with grammar books,
talk to your friends in english,watch english channels,you can speak english even in your home.
cheers
29th April 2010, 08:34 PM
Unregistered

i m doin m.sc. in chemistry...i'll appear in final year in 2010..vn i cn fight net????????/
29th April 2010, 09:09 PM
vike
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
There is no book as such that can really help you without your complete determination towards speaking.

The best way improve communication skill is to try to communicate as much as possible.
You should stand in front of mirror and try to communicate with yourself and hesitate in speaking english whether you speaking right or wrong.

Make use of every opportunity to spaek english wherever possivle.

Read out the newspapers and magazines aloud at least those articles that you understand well.

The most importantly is to 'Think in English'. Even when you utter something to yourself try to make it in english.

There are books and a huge thesis on this topic but I would suggest you to follow the above steps and you would see the change in next month.

Thank You
All the best.
30th April 2010, 01:36 AM
Unregistered

thanks to all for giving me good suggestions for improving my communication skills...........
30th April 2010, 08:15 AM
Harshita21

Their is no book ,course or CD which will improve your english ,you can only improve it by yourself.

Tips are:

1. Read a english paragraph from newspaper paper & find out the meanings of difficult words.

2. Try to speak in seeing the mirror with confidence & expressions.

3. Listen the english news on the DD national & news Channel

4.After three weeks increase 1 paragraph to one page or subscribe a one month magazine & read each page daily ,complete it in one month.

you will get the results in one month bribg your confidence in then you can succeed

All the best
19th July 2010, 04:27 PM
NISAMTI

hi friend ..it is the right who wants a great excellent..because communication skills plays a key role in every part of our life..try to communicate to every person..try to talk to the persons who don't know you and you do not know i mean who are not familiar to you..this is way of improving your communication skills.this is the first basic step in learning communication skills.
next the english story books of indian authors which are not of high standards..which are easy to understand and feel you comfort at reading that story book..at first only..the books of great authors like shakespeare because,in his books,language is of high standards.
and daily news papers like the hindu...it will be better for you to understand and you will be knowing different words in the usage which are peculiar which the standards..keep a dictionary by the side of you and find the meaning for the word you do not know that meaning..and the main thing,use those words gradually in daily life..okay..try to talk spontaneously firstly in mothertongue and gradully try to talk in english..by this you can gradually avoid stage-fear.
watch english news channels..good luck ....
9th December 2010, 08:09 AM
Unregistered

communication skills plays an important role in our daily life. we can enhance our communication skills by working on grammar,watching new channels, speaking to friends in english, reading newpapers etc.vacabulary is one of the most important & essantial part of communication, unless you know the meaning of a particular word, you can't answer the question asked by anyone. Take 10-15 words daily, learn its meaning & try to use those words in the sentence.it really effective & improve u r communication skills. ***BEST OF LUCK***
9th December 2010, 10:31 PM
lavanyaratala

no need to study any books for communication skills. You just need to talk with your friends daily........and should participate in group discussions
10th December 2010, 12:32 AM
subho19
Senior Member+++

Lightbulb Re: How to improve communication skills? Books for improving communication skills?

Quote:
Dear friend,
For improving your skill you can follow those books.
Quantative aptitudes - R.S.Agarwal
GRE-Barron
GMAT
CAT
etc...
10th December 2010, 11:22 AM
aditya436
Senior Member++++

hello friend

this is the most commonest problem among all of us

and my tips by experience are

try to improve basics of english right from the kg standard

try to see some good english movies as we all love to see movies see only english movies

listen english news and repeat the words which are said by news readers

read english papers only hindu news paper which will have a good english what the industry wants

listen good english songs

make all the good habits which will improve your language

try to increase your vocabulary by frequently refering to oxford english dictionary

try to learn 10 english words with all its meanings

gain knowledge on all the sounds of different english speaking countries

not all the countries will speak the same word with same accent

so keep this in mind try to improve your english

and a book which i want to suggest you to increase the basic standard english is

ENGLISH THROUGH PRACTICE

BY

CIEFL(Central Institute for English and all the Foreign Languages)

which will be available in all reputed book stores

this is a very good book

all the best

~aditya~
13th February 2011, 03:42 PM
diego
Banned

Hey
It's a very common problem, and is not a big issue.You really need to communicate
more with others and with yourself.
Stand in front of a mirror and practice speaking to yourself in english..this way you wont have any embarrassment and you can talk even on silly topics, you need to tell yourself that i have to practice and don't worry about content .. in fact dont worry weather you speak right or wrong just speak.
Apart from that you can even practice in public .. remember you will do some stupid things but its just coz you are learning , be proud to make mistakes.
And Books dont make sense for communication improvement , learn any language by just speaking .. learn some word meanings it would help
so read a few newspapers and watch english movies and serials or news.
best of luck
23rd April 2011, 08:59 PM

dear friend,
english is world wide spoken and accepted language . one can learn any language by LISTENING ,SPEAKING AND WRITING,begin with small sentences and then try to speak basic words that you use in your day to day life
31st May 2011, 02:54 AM
Unregistered

jobs after12th
1st June 2011, 01:32 AM
Ankur agrawal

Hii,
For increse the communication prefer the Salini Dixit book or Ritu Franciyad biik they are good writter.
ankur
25th June 2011, 09:24 PM
Unregistered

sir i am a undergraduate student but my English is week i want to learn english speaking so i want to join in ur institute to increasing my english
i am leaving in washer men pet but i dont know tamil i want to learn english by hindi to englih pls give me information how i can spaek enlish
28th July 2011, 02:16 PM
Unregistered

Hi
i am doing job in a software company but i am not communicating to every one bcoz of communication problem.how can i solve that problem please give me an advice please......................
3rd August 2011, 03:54 PM
the wall

hi dear,

the best way to improve communication skills is to learn it gradually....

first of all you should be a good listener before becoming a good narrator....

make a habit of hearing BBC news daily.....have patience and notice the way and the style of speaking English ........now try implementing what you have learned ......
try speaking to your brother in english...and try to express your self to him in english.....dont be in a hurry....take some time but make sure that the message is conveyed ........

you can also refer some standard books for communication skills available in the book store.......

thanks
30th August 2011, 11:57 AM
Mannu2525

Dear,
I believe that every problem have one or more solution, just we have to find out the way of implementation.

The problem you have with your communication skills is also the problem of 90% indians. There is no short cut method to improve it.

If you really want to improve your communication skills then read more and more.
It doesn't matter What stuff is in your hand, just read it.

Try to communicate in english with your friends and your family.

I know that In the beginning, you will have to face embarrassment and shame but its ok. Try to remove face of embarrassment and make yourself confident.

GOOD LUCK

With Regards,
~Manvendra~
28th September 2011, 01:44 PM
saugata2008

Now a days the way if communication portrays a person in any field .His or her communication skill represents how well-behaved he is and how he can present himself in front of the world .
Tips to improve English -

1.Read newspaper daily .
2.Watch news channels.
3.Speak to your friends in English.
4.Try to speak in front of mirror .
5.Read grammar books .

Name of some good books for communication skill -

1.Better English pronunciation by CONNOR
2.Book of english conversation by R.P.Datason
3.Cambridge IELTS 7 by Cambridge ESOL
4.Common Errors in English by CID MEL

Thank you
29th September 2011, 01:36 PM
Unregistered

my name is ajith doing mba . i am very much glad to say this now i speak english influently 1 month ego i was not able to communicate to my frds i was too desperate
6th July 2012, 01:45 AM
arpitbanaudha

dear friend,
improving communication skill the best book is arihant publication sc gupta but it is not enough you should reading english newspapers, watch english bussiness and movie channel, negociate more and more in english with friends and relatives for better performance.
27th July 2012, 07:38 PM
TanaB

First of all determine where you struggle the most.
Once you have identified the area that you need to work on the most, begin by forcing yourself to try that type of communication in low stakes situations. Start with conversations with people you trust, then you can start working up until you can make public presentations.

Learn more about communication skills online: 8 Tools for Improving Communication Skills
21st August 2012, 07:29 PM
Unregistered

hello, i suggest you buy Wren and Martin's English Grammar book for basic punctuation and English grammar..this is the best book and anyone can understand it from nursery level to graduation level....if you build up your grammar, speaking in English becomes easy...the rest are common suggestions given in the comments like viewing eng news channels and reading good books... also decide whether you want to follow British english or American english and then start your practice... because there is quite a difference in these two styles of English....
here is an interesting article which tells more about "communication skills" :
http://www.hyderabadisearch.com/hyderabadi/Articles/23/tips-to-improve-communication-skills-in-english.html
21st August 2012, 10:08 PM
FIRST RANK SOLUTION

Tips for improve communication skills
~ Focus on removing the mother tongue influence and the 'Indianisms' that creep into your English conversations.

~ Watch the English news on television channels like Star World, CNN, BBC and English movies on Star Movies and HBO.

~ Listen to and sing English songs.
So,use these tips after it you have also get a better result.
28th September 2012, 05:32 PM
Unregistered

how to improve our communication skill.am ready to talk with friends but hesitation.please give suggestion
8th February 2013, 04:37 PM
Unregistered

how to improve english? if all the words meanings are known?i mean i can speak english litely ?but not fluntley what to do
8th February 2013, 10:13 PM
sammy_wrath
Senior Member+

Thumbs up Re: How to improve communication skills? Books for improving communication skills?

Quote:

Dear Aspirant,

If you want to learn the english that is the good thing.But the bookish knowledge wont help you with the communication skills unless the practise of talking with the fellow people.

I will not say about the books since all the above members have guided.

So the books can only help you with the acquiring of the knowledge of grammer,vocabulary and etc.

But the real learning starts when you implement it in real life.

Ways to implement what you learned.As follows:

Writing articles in the newspapers

Guest BLogging

Writing the short stories for the children

Speaking with the new words with friends and family

Social interaction.

These are the things i follow in my daily life.So if you go by this perspective then you can go on with a good skill in the comm skills.

Then everything will be a lullaby for you.Which can sooth your life with great opportunities.

Hope this info helps you.

All the best for your future endeavor's.

Any more Queries.
Don't Hesitate to ask me. Am happy to help you always. Just ping to my profile.

Best Regards,
Sampath.
11th February 2013, 08:44 PM
Ashwinkumar9009

Smile Re: How to improve communication skills? Books for improving communication skills?

The following suggestions will help you improve your skills and become an effective communicator.

1. Take a Class

There are many classes focused on improving communication skills for students, so sign up for one of these classes and start learning how to communicate. Generally, over the period of a semester you will learn many different communication skills and how to include them in different conversations and social situations.

This can be a great way to really learn and practice if you have a hard time motivating yourself to do it on your own. Plus, you will meet other individuals who are learning to communicate as well and this will boost your confidence because you will realize you are not the only one who is not confident with their communication skills and keen on improving communication skills.

2. Workshop and Practice

If an entire semester is a bit too long for you to commit to improving communication skills, then perhaps you should simply take a workshop and then practice on your home at your leisure. Generally workshops are a week long or sometimes just a weekend, so they do not require a large time commitment.

These workshops provide a fast overview of suggestions and tips for improving communication skills, and then it is up to you to practice and begin implementing the new skills into your communication style. This is a good option for self-learners.

3. Communication Books

If you really are not ready for either a course or workshop, then buy some books on how to communicate better or improving communication skills and start from there. Read the books thoroughly, take notes, do the exercises, and practice as often as possible.

Also, as you learn new skills don’t wait to implement them in your conversation style but go ahead and start practicing immediately. Practice makes perfect so the more you practice the better communicator you will become.

Remember, there are many ways to improve your communication style and you should do whatever works best for you. If watching television and copying what effective communicators on television is more effective for you then reading a book or taking a class then you should do this. However, improving communication skills can be done as long as you are committed and determined.

Popular Communication Skills Books

1]How to Win Friends and Influence People (Paperback)
by Dale Carnegie
2]Just Listen: Discover the Secret to Getting Through to Absolutely Anyone (Hardcover)
by Mark Goulston
3]Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In (Paperback)
by Roger Fisher
4]The Chicago Manual of Style (Hardcover)
by University of Chicago Press Staff (Editor)
22nd February 2013, 09:54 AM
Unregistered

my english is ok but i'm not confident inn speaikng it,how can i get confidence in it?
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?