28th April 2011, 01:44 PM
laxman101

Is it possible to do MSc in either Physics or Mathematics after B.E in India? Universities or Institutes which consider such students? Procedure to apply for these institutes?

I'm studying in 3rd year BE Civil Engineering. But i'm more interested in Physics and Mathematics. Is it possible to do MSc in either Physics or Mathematics after BE in India? If yes,can u tell me the universities and institutes which take in students of my background for these courses? Also tell me the procedure of applying to these universities and institutes.

Related Questions:
  1. Best universities or institutes for M.Sc in Physics? Is coaching for JAM will be best? List of good coaching institutes for JAM exam?
  2. Admission Procedure in Top Institutes for doing MSC Physics along with their fee structure.
  3. Top 10 Research institutes which offer M.Sc(Physics) course in India? Procedure to get admission?
  4. Eligibility to apply in Ph.D(Mathematics) if completed M.Sc in Applied Mathematics? List of institutes in India?
  5. Different institutes where I can do M.Tech in Mathematics? Procedure to apply for them?
  6. Top 25 Institutes/Universities in India for Ph.D in Physics?
  7. Coaching centres in Visakhapatnam for SRMEEE exam?
  8. What is the procedure to apply for IIT MSc course?
  9. Best government institutes in India for MSc Physics? I have completed BSc in Physics Hons
  10. Are there any universities or institutes in India which provide MSc in Cosmology and Particle Physics?
  11. Career opportunities in Astrophysics and Optics? Good institutes offering MSc in Physics? What is the admission in procedure?
  12. Am I eligible to BCA course with 75% in SSLC and 70% in 12th?
  13. List of institutes offering PhD(Mathematics) in Montreal? Best university in India for this course? Procedure to apply? -- [New]
  14. List of top 10 colleges in AP offering MBA programme through ICET score? -- [Most Discussed]
  15. How can I join in Space Science Engineering being a Diploma Electrical Engineer?
  16. Best institutes offering MSc Physics through distance mode in Maharashtra?
  17. Which are the institutes in Orissa where I can get MSc in Physics? What is the proper time to apply for it?
  18. List of institutes offering PhD in Mathematics in Montreal? Procedure to apply?
4th October 2011, 12:12 AM
cottcant

Default Re: Is it possible to do MSc in either Physics or Mathematics after B.E in India? Universities or Institutes which consider such students? Procedure to apply for these institutes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxman101 View Post
I'm studying in 3rd year BE Civil Engineering. But i'm more interested in Physics and Mathematics. Is it possible to do MSc in either Physics or Mathematics after BE in India? If yes,can u tell me the universities and institutes which take in students of my background for these courses? Also tell me the procedure of applying to these universities and institutes.
Dear Laxman,
Your question stands relevant because of the interest that you have in these basic areas of Science. However, there are certain issues that you need to be clear about at this stage
(1) A 4 years BE degree is equivalent to a 3 years B.Sc. + 2 years M.Sc.
(2) The general criteria for getting admission to an M.Sc. in a reputed University is always a good score in B.Sc. and a test for entrance which is conducted by the respective departments
(3) The level expected from a Master's level student in Physics or Mathematics at a good University is pretty high and it generally builds into advanced courses of those already studied in B.Sc.
If you analyse these points then the proper course of action for you would be as follows
(1) You can appear for the GATE exam and go for an M.Tech either in Civil Engg or you can opt for one of the courses offered by the Mathematics/ Physics departments, which are generally open for all branch BE students.
(2) You can go for an MS to a foreign university after qualifying GRE with a good score
(3) If still you want to do M.Sc. in these subjects you can appear for the JAM examination conducted by IITs and see if you have the requisite level of knowledge to survive at the level expected and then do your M.Sc. from one of the IITs
(4) You can also try for an MS offered by the Hyderabad Central University but there also the entry would be pretty tough
So, the better option for you according to me would be to go for an M.Tech in a proper branch, rather than moving backwards in life. All the best for your future.
12th October 2011, 04:58 PM
Unregistered

Default Re: Is it possible to do MSc in either Physics or Mathematics after B.E in India? Universities or Institutes which consider such students? Procedure to apply for these institutes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxman101 View Post
it is not possible todo mscphysics ofter .BE or .B .TECH
29th November 2011, 03:17 PM
Unregistered

could you tell me how to prepare will get top institutes like BHU ,HCU, NIT.
15th January 2012, 11:40 PM
Unregistered

I am studing b.sc with zoology how should i become archeologists. Can it is possible....
10th January 2014, 12:52 AM
Unregistered

I completed BSc (Honours) in Mathematics from Bangladesh. Now i want to do MSc/MBA or any other degree of same categorize in India. Hwo can i do it? Please tall me the right way. Pleasc please please ...............
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?