19th September 2014, 10:49 PM
Unregistered

Can't I join JRF until I pass PhD course work?

sir/madam
i have qualified joint csir-ugc jrf dec2012 in mathematical science after that i have get admitted in a ph.d course in burdwan university on july 2014 but they are saying that i will not join as ugc jrf fellow until qualified ph.d course work .my question is one can not join as ugc jrf until must passed ph.d course work ?

23rd September 2014, 05:06 PM
ChakrabortyP
Senior Member++++

Default Re: Can't I join JRF until I pass PhD course work?

The main purpose of a junior research fellowship is to prepare researchers to take on the role of a university professor. JRF or junior research fellowship allows new graduates of doctorate programs to be professors.
In most cases, a junior research fellowship is granted only after the completion of a Ph.D. However, some institutions also offer fellowships to students of doctorate programs in order to help them reach their academic and research goals like professors. In order to apply for a fellowship they must meet the requirements of the university.
Fellowships is granted to scientists from specialization areas like chemistry, physics, environmental science, mathematics, engineering etc. Universities prefer candidates who hold research experience after the completion of their Ph.D.
In most cases, JRF programme last for three to five years. Upon completion of the fellowship, the tenure is rolled into the position of senior research fellowship. During this tenure, a fellow will start to take on the duties of lecturing studies and preparing curriculum.
For Ph.D, one has to complete masters degree with minimum 55 per cent. There is a provision of completing UGC Net exam. At some universities, they conduct written tests along with interview.
The minimum qualification needed for the appointment of lecturer/assistant professor is NET/SLET. Anyone with the PhD degree as per the University Grants Commission Regulations will be exempted from the NET/SLET exam.
You also need to submit a thesis synopsis with the guide. Candidates need to complete the credits through coursework, a formal proposal of synopsis devised with consultation of the guide. For engineers and doctors, some universities allow exception to this rule and can directly seek admission.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?