10th April 2015, 01:30 AM
Unregistered

Why I have to repay with higher interest rate if opted for Fixed rate to study in Abroad through Education Loan provided by Indian Bank? Is there any Norms of RBI related to Fixed/Floating Interest Rates for Nationalized Banks?

Dear Sir,
I took Education Loan of Rs.7.5 lacs for my son to study in Abroad from Indian Bank. At the time of signing the documents we were asked for Fixed Rate or Floating Rate options. We had opted for fixed rate option. Now the interest rates have gone higher and the Bank wants us to pay interest at a higher rate saying that the option for a fixed rate was never available with the Bank. Please advise what we should do under the circumstances? Is there any RBI circular regarding charging of interest at Fixed or Floating rates to the Nationalized Banks. Please advise me.

Related Questions:
  1. List of Banks which offer Education Loan to study MBA in India at cheapest Interest Rates?
  2. How can I get Bank Education Loan with low interest rate to study MBBS in Russia? Mode of repayment?
  3. Is there any difference in interest rate charges to study MBA in India and in Abroad?
  4. Which Bank provides Education Loan with Low Interest Rate to study B.Tech?
  5. IS there any interest free education loan available?
  6. Detailed information about Education Loan interest rates of Banks for study in MCA?
  7. List of Banks which offer Education Loan at low interest rates to study B.Tech in USA, Australia and UK?
  8. List of Banks which has good interest rates and processing schemes to apply for Education Loan to study MBA in US?
  9. WBMDFC offers Education Loan to study B.Tech? Rate of Interest charged against Education Loan?
  10. Bank loan for further studies after BA (distance course)? Bank interest rate and procedure of loan?
  11. How much interest will be charged on Education Loan to study MDS? Detailed information about Mode of Repayment?
  12. Banks offering Education Loan with low interest rates to study MBA in IIM through CAT?
  13. List of Banks which offer Education Loan to study Bachelor of Hotel Management? How much interest rates will be charged?
  14. Procedure of taking loan from banks for study? Approx rate of interest?
  15. Previous years question papers for NIPER Ph.D entrance exam?
  16. Bank Loan interest rate for M Pharma course in private college -- [Most Discussed]
  17. Interest rates charges against Education Loan by Andhra Bank for B.Tech course? Documents required to apply for Education Loan?
  18. How much is the loan provided by Indian Government to Handicaps? Will there be any relaxation in Interest Rate?
4th May 2015, 01:29 AM
SudeepKumarSaha
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Why I have to repay with higher interest rate if opted for Fixed rate to study in Abroad through Education Loan provided by Indian Bank? Is there any Norms of RBI related to Fixed/Floating Interest Rates for Nationalized Banks?

The clause of fixed interest rate is totally invalid. There is no such clause for education loan. This is because the rate of interest is governed and regulated by Reserve Bank of India and fluctuates from time to time as per the RBI orders. So this is not in the hands of Indian Bank and the conversation concerning fixed and floating rate of interest stands null and void if you do not have any proof of such assurance from the bank. There can be two things - either the bank manager might have misled you at the time of signing the documents or he/she might have been talking of some other clause. You have no other option except for paying the interest as per the current rate of interest if you do not have any proof supporting your conversation with the bank and opting for fixed rate of interest. If you have proof, you can take legal action.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?