25th May 2011, 12:22 AM
bleach

Is it better to choose subjects other than i had in graduation for IAS preparations?

I have taken degree in english literature. none of my subsidiary subjects are in the list of optional subjects for IAS Mains. Is this a problem for attempting IAS? Is it ok to choose subjects for IAS which i have not learnt in my degree but which i am ready to learn on my own using reference textbooks etc? please answer as soon as possible. thanks

19th February 2012, 09:35 PM
aditya436
Senior Member++++

Arrow Re: Is it better to choose subjects other than i had in graduation for IAS preparations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleach View Post
I have taken degree in english literature. none of my subsidiary subjects are in the list of optional subjects for IAS Mains. Is this a problem for attempting IAS? Is it ok to choose subjects for IAS which i have not learnt in my degree but which i am ready to learn on my own using reference textbooks etc? please answer as soon as possible. thanks
Appreciable attitude.

yeah what you are thinking is right. If your graduation subject is not there in the pre defined list of UPSC.

Then you're allowed to opt any other two optional subjects as you wish. There is no problem at all.

Be careful while selecting an optional subject because it only decides your success in the respective attempt, If you make a wrong decision your efforts till then will ruin.
So make a careful decision. Concern subject experts in various institutes and know about the desired optional and know the pros and cons of the same and then only select it.

Don't make a blind decision as you should spend time on preparing should not feel bored while preparing , Select something which is very interesting to your heart.

One of the hot optional subject for many aspirants is Public Administration as it is easy to understand and helpful in future most of them opt it.
you can also do same. As it is proved to get good marks in the exam. with the limited connected topics.

as yous is english background think up on it and also select a related optional.
I wish you all the best

Regards
19th February 2012, 11:04 PM
Syedsam01
Member+

Default Re: Is it better to choose subjects other than i had in graduation for IAS preparations?

Dear aspirant,
Yes you can choose subjects other than that of your graduation subjects there is no prohibition to choose subjects for civil services, any one can choose subjects otherthan graduation, there are 32 subjects you have to choose any 2 subjects from these and there are various litrature subjects also, but the famous subjects which have the high success rate and considerd easy are Public Administration, Geography, History, Political Science, Sociology etc.
I hope it will help you.
Best of Luck.
19th February 2012, 11:41 PM
rvidyasagar

Default Re: Is it better to choose subjects other than i had in graduation for IAS preparations?

There is no compulsion on choosing any specific subjects as optionals in the Civil Services Exam.

You have to select two optional subjects from out of a list of about 25 subjects spanning almost all the available disciplines.

The syllabus of the papers of all these subjects are also available in the UPSC notification. Past three years' question papers are also available. You can carefully scan through the lot and zero in on your optional subjects.

After all, you are having confidence of making the preparations on your own. So, go ahead and choose subjects of your interest.

All the best.
31st May 2012, 10:18 AM
Unregistered

is sociology and public administration high scoring combination????
12th June 2012, 09:06 PM
Unregistered

how many total subjects that we have to prepare for upsc exams?
7th August 2012, 03:23 PM
Unregistered

i am doing bsc maths what subjects should i prefer in ias
3rd September 2012, 05:46 PM
Unregistered

i am doing b.sc. please tell me the best combination of the subject for quilyfying the ias exam
5th October 2012, 02:57 AM
Unregistered

i am civil engg. student .i wanna prepare by takin g both arts paper history and geography in hindi medium ,is sufficient material available of these subjects
17th May 2013, 01:04 PM
Unregistered

plz tell me dat what subject is the best for ias prepration in graduation
19th October 2013, 04:32 PM
Unregistered

how to study for ias exam at graduation level and what should extra study for this exam.,
14th January 2014, 12:51 PM
Unregistered

Sir i have done B.Tech in Marine engineering .Can i apeear for UPSC also guide me about choosing [email protected]
19th February 2014, 08:59 PM
Unregistered

I'm a student of English Literature and my two additional subjects are history and political science.So what can be the best subject combination for me?
19th April 2019, 09:02 AM
Unregistered

I am doing my b. Tech with my 2nd year. Can any one suggest 2 optional subject to crack my civil aim?
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?