19th August 2015, 10:44 PM
Unregistered

Is it necessary to appear in GATE for study PhD in IIT? Can I get admission through NET?

Hello,
I am a M.Tech in Environmental Engineering candidate from AMU. From where I can do PhD? Is GATE score must for doing PhD from IIT? Can I take admission in PhD in IIT through NET.

Related Questions:
  1. Is it necessary to appear in GATE for study PhD in IIT? Can I get admission through NET?
  2. Should I have to appear in NET to study PhD in IIT-Madras if completed M.Sc(Chemistry)? Eligibility to get admission?
  3. Entrance exam for pursuing PhD from IITs?
  4. Can I get admission to study PhD in NIPER without appearing in GATE and NET being a M.Sc(Pharmaceutical Chemistry) postgraduate?
  5. Can I get admission to study PhD in Biomedical Engineering in IIT if secured 94.6 percentile in GATE?
  6. Can I get admission to study PhD in IISC, NIT or IIT if scored 22 marks in GATE?
  7. Can I do PhD in IIT or NIT if secured 95.96 percentile in GATE-Biotechnology?
  8. How much JRF is offered through GATE and UGC-NET? Minimum marks score to study PhD through GATE and UGC-NET?
  9. Can I get admission to study PhD(Mathematics) in IIT-Mumbai if secured 159 rank in GATE?
  10. PHD in IIT through GATE? Calling mode for PHD in IITs?
  11. Procedure to get admission in Manipal University to study PhD in Microbiology for a SC candidate who has secured 32.33 percentile in GATE? List of PhD colleges offering admission with this GATE scorecard?
  12. Which are the good courses after completing B.E electronics and communication engineering -- [Most Discussed]
  13. How to get admission in IIT? What is the date of sale of forms?
  14. Minimum GATE score required to do Ph.D from IIT?
  15. GATE, NET or JRF, which is to appear for study PhD with scholarship?
  16. Minimum percentile required in GATE(Life Science) to study PhD in Microbiology in IIT?
  17. From where I will get GATE scholarship to study Ph.D program?
  18. Is it possible to take admission for Ph.D with GATE score?
31st August 2015, 10:46 AM
BISWARUPYOGI
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Is it necessary to appear in GATE for study PhD in IIT? Can I get admission through NET?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello,
I am a M.Tech in Environmental Engineering candidate from AMU. From where I can do PhD? Is GATE score must for doing PhD from IIT? Can I take admission in PhD in IIT through NET.
No, GATE score is not necessary to study in IIT for Ph.D course. If you have UGC NET score then also you are eligible for Ph.D course in IIT. You are student of M.Tech in Environmental Engineering so you are eligible for UGC NET exam.

NET stands for National Eligibility Test. This exam is conducted by UGC.

The educational qualification required for NET exam is masters degree from a recognized university with above 55% marks. 5% relaxation is given for SC/ST category candidates. Final year student are also eligible for NET exam.

There is no age criteria for NET exam but for JRF posts, your age should be below 28 years.
5th September 2015, 03:10 AM
ishteaque
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Is it necessary to appear in GATE for study PhD in IIT? Can I get admission through NET?

If you want to apply for Ph.D course after you M.Tech you will thus have to fulfill the following below mentioned criterias;

1. You need to have a PG qualification with a minimum of 55% marks in aggregate from a recognized University.

2. You will have to clear NET/SLET/JRF/GATE exam.

However, students having qualified in the above mentioned examination will be entitled for direct interview without appearing for any entrance examination.

Most of the Institutes conducts their own entrance examination in order to allow admission to candidates for Ph.D course, therefore if you do not have the above mentioned examinations score, you will probably have to appear for the entrance examination of the prospective Institute.

After having scored well in your entrance examination with good marks, you will be probably called for an Interview for admission.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?