13th September 2015, 04:27 PM
Unregistered

How can I claim Tax Rebate on Education Loan taken by my father for my brother’s education?

Hello,
My Father has taken Education Loan from United Bank of India for my brother’s B.Tech course. Now he has completed his course and I am being his guardian repaying the amount of Education Loan which was taken by my Father. The Education Loan is combined with my father and my brother names. But I want to claim tax rebate on this Education Loan. Kindly tell me what I have to do?

Related Questions:
  1. How can I claim Tax Rebate on Education Loan taken by my father for my brotherÂ’s education?
  2. How can I claim for Tax Rebate against Education Loan taken by my Father-in-Law for my wife's education?
  3. Is there any way of Tax Rebate against Education Loan of Rs. 305000?
  4. Is it possible to present my Brother-In-Law as a Guarantor to apply for Education Loan due to my father's death?
  5. Can I get Tax Rebate against Education Loan if paying interest of Rs. 12947 per month?
  6. Need information about Tax Rebate provided against Education Loan?
  7. Maximum amount to be claimed for Tax Rebate against Education Loan of Rs. 400000?
  8. Is it possible to show Brother-in-Law's IT file as a guarantor instead of father to apply for Bank Education Loan?
  9. Can I get Tax Rebate against Education Loan of Rs. 6.2 Lacs if working in CCL?
  10. Detailed information about Tax Rebate against Education Loan of Rs. 2.2 Lacs from United Bank of India?
  11. Whether my father can become Guarantor for Education Loan if my brother is studying MBA through Education Loan?
  12. Can I apply for Education Loan for my brotherÂ’s education if having no IT file and Mortgage?
  13. Can I get Education Loan to study B.Tech if my father has no property?
  14. Can I get Tax Deduction if taking Education Loan of Rs. 3,50,000 Lacs?
  15. Can I apply for Bank Education Loan of Rs. 12 Lacs to study in Newzealand if my father doesn't have Income Tax file? -- [Most Discussed]
  16. From which bank can I get education loan approved for education of my brother?
  17. How can I apply to get Education Loan easily to study MBBS if my father is a serviceman in ECIL?
  18. Can I apply for an Education Loan to study MBBS if my father is working in Abu Dhabi?
19th July 2023, 04:00 AM
TalatNaazGujrati

Default Re: How can I claim Tax Rebate on Education Loan taken by my father for my brother’s education?

• Check the eligibility criteria. You can claim tax rebate on education loan only if you meet the following eligibility criteria:
    • You are a resident of India.
    • You have taken an education loan from a recognized financial institution.
    • You are repaying the education loan in installments.
    • The education loan is for the purpose of your own or your family member’s education.
  • Gather the required documents. You will need to gather the following documents to claim tax rebate on education loan:
    • Education loan agreement.
    • Proof of repayment of the education loan.
    • Income tax returns for the financial years in which you have claimed the deduction.
  • File your income tax return. You can claim tax rebate on education loan by filing your income tax return. When you file your income tax return, you will need to provide the details of the education loan and the amount of money you have repaid in the financial year.
  • Claim the deduction. Once you have filed your income tax return, you will need to claim the deduction for education loan. You can do this by filling up Form 10BA.
Here are the steps on how to fill up Form 10BA:
  • Download Form 10BA from the Income Tax website.
  • Fill up the form carefully.
  • Attach the required documents.
  • Submit the form to the Income Tax Department.
Note:
  • The maximum amount of tax rebate you can claim for education loan is Rs. 1.5 lakhs per year.
  • You can claim tax rebate for education loan for a maximum of eight years.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?