18th September 2016, 02:20 AM
Unregistered

Which branch in studies will be helpful to become an IAS officer in the future?

I wanna to become an IAS officer but I am so confused that which branch will be helpful in upsc exam? Can someone please guide me with the complete information on the same? Please provide me your suggestions which I can follow for the best. Awaiting for the response.

18th September 2016, 09:39 AM
aashisranjan784
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Which branch in studies will be helpful to become an IAS officer in the future?

Candidates with any stream in bachelor's degree is eligible for Civil Services examination for becoming IAS or IPS or IRS officer. There is no such specific stream mentioned by UPSC that helps a candidate to become IAS officer.

You need to select discipline in bachelor's degree as per your interest in that stream. It is but natural that if you select stream according to your interest, you will do well and later, you can choose that subject for your optional subject in Mains examination of Civil Services.

The age limit for this examination is 21-32 years. Three years upper age relaxation to OBC and five years to SC/ST candidate. You can start your preparation right from first year of bachelor's degree and as syllabus of this exam is vast and it takes 1-2 years to have good command over subjects. Make a habit of reading daily newspapers. "The Hindu Newspaper is the best for Civil Services aspirants.
18th September 2016, 12:33 PM
Careerexpert
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Which branch in studies will be helpful to become an IAS officer in the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I wanna to become an IAS officer but I am so confused that which branch will be helpful in upsc exam? Can someone please guide me with the complete information on the same? Please provide me your suggestions which I can follow for the best. Awaiting for the response.

The History, Geography, Public Administration, Political Science and Economics are the studies which will be helpful to become an IAS Officer. The aspirant can choose any subject in graduation to become an IAS officer in the future. The UPSC is conducting Civil Services Examination every year for the recruitment of IAS, IPS, IFS etc. The maximum age limit should be 32 years for the general category candidates. The above given subjects are most preferred in the Civil Services Examinations. One can choose any one of the subject to study in graduation to become an IAS in future.
18th September 2016, 01:18 PM
rachna sarswat
Senior Member+

You can graduate in any stream with any subject. With them you can work on your general knowledge. You should read newspapers and magazines regularly. So you can increase your knowledge about current affairs. You can also work on your grammar, aptitude and reasoning. Or you can also join a good coaching institute along with your college. I hope it will help you. Thanks
18th September 2016, 02:06 PM
Saikiranreddy47475
Senior Member+++++

There is no special branch which helps you to become an IAS officer in future. To become an IAS officer, you have to appear in UPSC IAS examination. To be eligible to appear in UPSC IAS examination, you should have completed Bachelor's degree course in any discipline from a recognised university. So, I suggest you to pursue your Graduation in any course of your interest and after completion of your Graduation, you can take IAS coaching from better coaching institute to crack IAS examination in order to become an IAS officer.
18th September 2016, 02:33 PM
Khurit
Senior Member+

First of all you should know that to apply for IAS exam you must be graduate from a valid university and age must be between 21 years to 32 years. Union Public Service Commission conduct Civil Service Exam every year for various posts.
A candidate can apply for this with any faculty. But we have found that Arts students applies more. So it does not matter in which field you have completed your graduation you can apply. Join coaching classes for better preparation.
18th September 2016, 07:31 PM
Aswiniteju
Senior Member+++++

Eligibility Criteria Required to become an IAS Officer:

To become an IAS officer, you are required to appear in Civil Services Aptitude Test (CSAT) which is conducted by Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). So you are required to appear in CSAT Examination in order to become an IAS Officer.

>> The basic educational qualification required to become an IAS officer is "Graduate Degree" or a Bachelor Degree from a recognized university.

>> As Graduation is required as minimum qualification, any bachelor degree is required.

>> So candidates from B.E/ B.Tech/ B.A/ B.Sc/ B.Com/ BBA/ BBM and other graduation are eligible to become an IAS Officer.

>> As any Graduation is required, it is you to decide which stream to choose based on your achievements and goals.

>> If you are really interested in Traditional courses then B.A is suitable course and if you are willing to go with Professional courses then B.Tech/ B.E is the best course.
18th September 2016, 09:12 PM
taputanya
Senior Member+++++

To become IAS officer, a candidate must have done graduation in any discipline from a recognised University with at least 50% marks. Personally I would like to suggest you to complete your graduation in that stream in which you are totally interested and then apply for civil services exams by appearing in Union Public Service Commission exams.
As your goal is crystal clear so you can also completed graduation in Arts stream because in Arts stream you will have lot of time for your preparation other than studies. You can also join a coaching institute after completion of graduation.
18th September 2016, 09:24 PM
ME471
Senior Member+++++

You can pursue bachelor's degree in any stream to attempt IAS or Indian Administrative Services exam. So my suggestion to you is that you should choose that particular stream in which you have your personal interest. Because we will be able to perform our best in that field in which we work with full interest.
IAS exam is conducted in two stages. The first stage exam is called as Prelims examination. After clearing this examination, you have to apply for main exam. It is mandatory to attach a photocopy of final degree with the application for IAS main examination.
18th September 2016, 09:55 PM
ajayrocks007
Senior Member+++++

As far as syllabus is concerned, arts stream comes the closest to UPSC civil services exam syllabus. Hence, you can opt for arts stream but still there are other areas of the exam which requires different knowledge.

Hence, it will be better to opt for a good course which has scope and prepare for IAS exam according to the syllabus. Your graduation studies won't have ant effect because exam pattern is totally different for this exam.
18th September 2016, 09:55 PM
ranjan Ayush
Senior Member+++++

UPSC stands for Union Public Service Commission and it conducts Civil Service examination conducted for recruitment of Officer's.

The candidates passed degree in any discipline are eligible to appear for examination. The candidates are eligible to appear for Mains examination and select their optional paper other than discipline paper.

Every year many students with different optional paper are eligible to appear and qualify in entrance examination.

So, you can select any stream in your 10+2 or bachelor degree to become an I.A.S Officer. But have to qualify in all three stages of examination for final selection. For more information about examination visit at www.upsc.gov.in.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?