23rd June 2010, 03:54 AM
nids123

Which course to choose, MS or Statistics/Maths Hons? What is the scope after completing Statistics Honors?

i am a 12th passed out commerce student and applying for Delhi University. According to my percentage ( 90% best of four ) and cut offs, i m getting only few courses which are not entirely in my interests but still i can do it . i qualify in statistics honors and mathematics honors from SRI VENKATESWARA COLLEGE and political science honors in nearly all colleges bt i failed to get economics honors in any good college which i needed desperately. ON THE OTHER HAND, i had given an entrance exam MP CET and fortunately scored a good rank ALL INDIA 19TH RANK and so i can easily get MANAGEMENT SCIENCE course in INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE OF PROFESSIONAL STUDIES. Though this course will provide me with good placements which i am not sure of in sri venkateswara college but the BRAND of DU still matters ! i am badly confused , plz help me ..!! MS or STATISTICS/MATHS HONS. also plz tell me the options and scope after statistics honors!! i have not much tym left!! help me soon!

27th May 2011, 07:54 PM
Mrs_Praveen_Gola
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Which course to choose, MS or Statistics/Maths Hons? What is the scope after completing Statistics Honors?

If you scored a good rank in the management science course then it made you clear that your interest lies in that particular field.So without making any confusion it is advisable to you to select that course.Yes this course will surely give you the good placements and opens doors to various sectoral opportunities.

Scope after statistics honors-
Statistics Honors cover subjects like Descriptive Statistics, Probability Theory, Real Analysis, Population Statistics etc.So Statistic Honors will have a great scope in areas like Business analytics, civil services, actuarial, data warehousing & mining etc.
5th June 2011, 11:20 PM
Unregistered

Default Re: Which course to choose, MS or Statistics/Maths Hons? What is the scope after completing Statistics Honors?

i m 12th paas commerce student..i scored 92%.i have given the entrance exam for bbe,bbs and bfia...but i am not sure dat i will be able to clear it or not..so i want to know that which course is better,statistics hon or eco hon.?as there is a large competition in economics honours.....so please suggest me what do..i am interested ib both........
6th June 2011, 10:47 PM
rohitkumarramesh
Senior Member++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by nids123 View Post
i am a 12th passed out commerce student and applying for Delhi University. According to my percentage ( 90% best of four ) and cut offs, i m getting only few courses which are not entirely in my interests but still i can do it . i qualify in statistics honors and mathematics honors from SRI VENKATESWARA COLLEGE and political science honors in nearly all colleges bt i failed to get economics honors in any good college which i needed desperately. ON THE OTHER HAND, i had given an entrance exam MP CET and fortunately scored a good rank ALL INDIA 19TH RANK and so i can easily get MANAGEMENT SCIENCE course in INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE OF PROFESSIONAL STUDIES. Though this course will provide me with good placements which i am not sure of in sri venkateswara college but the BRAND of DU still matters ! i am badly confused , plz help me ..!! MS or STATISTICS/MATHS HONS. also plz tell me the options and scope after statistics honors!! i have not much tym left!! help me soon!

In my opinion you should go with your interest. As you said your field of interest is economic honors. I would like to suggest you to prepare again with full zeal and appear for it again.

Behind this is a simple theory a persons performs extremely well in that area which is his field of interest and he has total command over it.

Besides Ecconomic honors as you said you scored well in Management science and statistics honors. Choose the line in which you want to go.

If you like any one of them heads up to it, dont look at the placement opportunities or any other factor.

If you stand out exceptionally well these things (placement opportunities) will grow up with your performance and ability.

So choose your favourite line and go ahead success will touch your feet. Good luck.
6th June 2011, 11:05 PM
sourindra

I think you should go M.Sc in mathematics. There is good scope for you if you go for M.Sc in mathematics.
7th June 2011, 08:02 AM
JAMESS
Senior Member+++++

as you scored good rank in MPCET then i think it's better to go for management science. this is study on management subject and also placement is good. if you have interest on study of management then you should give first priority to the Management science. but if you are not interested to study in management course then don't go for it.

you are not getting chance in economics so just door of this area is closed fro you. i don't think i t will be a better option for you to take admission in a bad institution with economics. so now just forget about economic honors.

Statistics and Mathematics honors are very much popular now a days. many students are going for these branch of study. scope and job opportunity also increasing day by day. if you get chance to take admission in Delhi University either in Statistics honors or Mathematics honors or in both then you should take admission in any one of this. Delhi University is very much popular university, you will be placed easily if you passed out from Delhi University.

best of luck.
7th June 2011, 06:49 PM
Unregistered

I am Sudanese who sat for my Uganda Certificate of education(UCE) with division II. Now I wanted to study Petroleum Engineering as a course, Petroleum engineering, is not offered in Sudan and is very expensive outside Sudan. What can i do? help me out.
7th June 2011, 09:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by nids123 View Post
if you are keen about trade then go for your interest . if you want big packages then it's your choice .at last from my side go for management science.
8th June 2011, 05:07 PM
Unregistered

i have passed 12th in science stream[non-medical] with 89% marks in pcm in2011. i want to do maths honours from du which colleges i will get . what are scopes in it. am i eligible for interior designing then which are top institutes in india. i want to know rank of ait pune.
15th June 2011, 10:45 PM
Unregistered

i m a class 12 student(science). i want 2 b acturial. wat should i pursue stats(h) or maths(h)?
16th June 2011, 01:19 PM
Unregistered

i hav passed 12th with commerce with maths stream,scoring 93.25%.which has better opportunities and scope-b.com hons and ca or statistics hons with msc(stats)/MBA
17th June 2011, 03:59 PM
Unregistered

I have passed 12th in science stream(non med) with 93.25 in BFS nd 95.6 in PCM nd 100 in maths. I m confused dat which hons. should i take maths hons. or stats hons. nd if i take stats hons den what is its scope after dis nd from which clg i should do dis. also i have selected for interview in chem hons. in st. stephens bt i have no interest in it. pls tel me what should i do pls reply me soon.
18th June 2011, 10:42 AM
Unregistered

MATHS (hons) OR STATISTICS (hons) ........... which gives you best of your career?:
20th June 2011, 07:49 PM
Unregistered

i have passed 12th with 73% mks i want to do M.sc in maths and statistics.what are the further courses or options available in this field..where and what kind of jobs do v get?
22nd June 2011, 04:25 PM
Unregistered

i got 88 % in best of four ... and i have taken admission in ramjas college in sats hons.. i haVE an option of doing b.tech from i.p college.. m confused to choose my career from these 2..i dnt have any prob in doing anything/.. m comfortable with both the things...pls suggest me the best option
22nd June 2011, 05:12 PM
Unregistered

i have passed 12th with 91.75% and i have got admission in venkateshwar college in maths hons but i want stats hons .After first list the admission in the course got closed,i was left admission by only 1 mark do i still stand a chance to get admission in stats hons.
19th August 2011, 06:34 PM
Unregistered

which course is best in this time , after b.sc.(math ,statistic)
17th June 2012, 01:12 PM
Unregistered

sir, i 've passed class 12th with 89.6% and in pcm 91.33%,which is a better option bsc stats(h) or btech mechanical which i may get in ip university and can i get venkateshwara college for stats hons
27th June 2012, 03:36 PM
Unregistered

sir,i hve pssed my 12 with 90.25% bst of four{cmmerce},iam cnfusd whether 2 go 4 b.com hnrs or mths hnrs , n wat r d scope 4 both of these n wat can i do aftr doing mths hnrs .....hlp me
30th March 2013, 06:21 PM
Unregistered

Today i.e. 30 march 2013 my exams gets over but the real tension actually starts now only that what are the further plans for career after 12th.Actually m expecting atleast 80% bt it can be more or less. now i juzz want dat anybody can tell me what course should i opt for n my personal interest lies in economics n i wish to do the honours for d same although i know with percentage m expecting it is not possible in delhi unversity. so i just want to know about various other courses like statistics honours along with acturial science, scope for foreign language, english honours,about entrances of bbe ,bbe n bfia .waiting for suggestions ....
25th May 2013, 01:37 PM
Unregistered

can a commerce student opt for maths honours?
29th June 2015, 04:18 PM
Unregistered

Can i go for maths hons or stats hons along with CA ??i hv got 93.75 ( best four) n applying for du ??
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?