23rd July 2010, 11:00 PM
Unregistered

How to prepare for gate from third year of engineering onwards?

i m student of entc engg in 3rd year.. i would like to know how can i start preparing for gate for 2012? what should i more focus on?
as my branch is electronics n comm. i would like to ask how much percentile is required in graduation ? does it has to do anything with entrance score? how much should i score minimum to get admission in good college? i study in pune,maharashtra. so can u pls suggest me good colleges overall...? i would be thankful to you...

23rd July 2010, 11:38 PM
agentroy
Senior Member+

Default Re: How to prepare for gate from third year of engineering onwards?

hi friend
as you are in third year and you are willing to give the gate exam then you can give the gate exam in 3year also as the gate score is valid for 2year,for the preparation of the gate exam first of all you have to clear your basic knowledge then you can go for the depth knowledge of the subjects,it will be better for you if you look for an coaching institute for the gate prepration
24th July 2010, 12:00 AM
Rupaksinha

Hello

As you are in ECE branch of engineering you must follow these books:

1.Electronics & Telecommunnication Engg.(detailed study)
2.Computer Networks: A Systems Approach, Second Edition (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Networking) Computer Networks: A Systems Approach, designed f ... »»
3.GATE Solved Paper ( EC):This book contains topicwise solved papers of GATE ...

You can also joins some coaching institutes for GATE entrence exam

GATE Training Institutes in Pune:
1.Vani Institute Of Engineering & Technology:GATE,GRE,CAT,XMAT

2.VIDYASAGAR CLASSES (Pune):GATE, CAT

3.Pict Sit: Embedded , VLSI, Higher Studies (GATE, GMAT, CAT, GRE, IAS, IES )

4.Bulls Eye: Higher Studies (GATE, GMAT, CAT, GRE, IAS, IES )

5.Deccancode: Embedded , VLSI, Higher Studies (GATE, GMAT, CAT, GRE, IAS, IES )

6.Career Forum Limited: Higher Studies (GATE, GMAT, CAT, GRE, IAS, IES )

MINIMUM SCORE TO GET A GOOD UNIVERSITY:

for general: minimum 650 marks must be required
for sc/st/obc: 450 marks will be needed.

all the best ...........prepare well
24th July 2010, 01:07 AM
solution
Senior Member++++

hello friend

it is right time for taking preparation to crack the GATE exam.

so for this you have to recaptulate all the departmental subjects which you have already studied.

for a reference book you may take GK publication book for gate.

you may also take coaching classes from good institute like

1.gate forum.

2.ellite.

3.guidance.

all the best....
24th July 2010, 05:25 AM
vike
Senior Member+++++

The application starts in the month of september and the exam held in the month of Feb.
STRUCTURE
The GATE examination consists of a single paper of 3 hours duration, which contains 65 questions carrying a maximum of 100 marks..

The question paper of GATE will be fully objective type.

Candidates have to mark the correct choice by darkening the appropriate bubble against each question on an Objective Response Sheet (ORS).

There will be negative marking for wrong answers. The deduction will be 25% of the marks allotted.

GATE Syllabus for Electronics and Communication Engineering - EC

ENGINEERING MATHEMATICS

Linear Algebra: Matrix Algebra, Systems of linear equations, Eigen values and eigen vectors.

Calculus: Mean value theorems, Theorems of integral calculus, Evaluation of definite and improper integrals, Partial Derivatives, Maxima and minima, Multiple integrals, Fourier series. Vector identities, Directional derivatives, Line, Surface and Volume integrals, Stokes, Gauss and Green's theorems.

Differential equations: First order equation (linear and nonlinear), Higher order linear differential equations with constant coefficients, Method of variation of parameters, Cauchy's and Euler's equations, Initial and boundary value problems, Partial Differential Equations and variable separable method.

Complex variables: Analytic functions, Cauchy's integral theorem and integral formula, Taylor's and Laurent' series, Residue theorem, solution integrals.

Probability and Statistics: Sampling theorems, Conditional probability, Mean, median, mode and standard deviation, Random variables, Discrete and continuous distributions, Poisson, Normal and Binomial distribution, Correlation and regression analysis.

Numerical Methods: Solutions of non-linear algebraic equations, single and multi-step methods for differential equations.

Transform Theory: Fourier transform, Laplace transform, Z-transform.

ELECTRONICS AND COMMUNICATION ENGINEERING

Networks: Network graphs: matrices associated with graphs; incidence, fundamental cut set and fundamental circuit matrices. Solution methods: nodal and mesh analysis. Network theorems: superposition, Thevenin and Norton's maximum power transfer, Wye-Delta transformation. Steady state sinusoidal analysis using phasors. Linear constant coefficient differential equations; time domain analysis of simple RLC circuits, Solution of network equations using Laplace transform: frequency domain analysis of RLC circuits. 2-port network parameters: driving point and transfer functions. State equations for networks.

Electronic Devices: Energy bands in silicon, intrinsic and extrinsic silicon. Carrier transport in silicon: diffusion current, drift current, mobility, and resistivity. Generation and recombination of carriers. p-n junction diode, Zener diode, tunnel diode, BJT, JFET, MOS capacitor, MOSFET, LED, p-I-n and avalanche photo diode, Basics of LASERs. Device technology: integrated circuits fabrication process, oxidation, diffusion, ion implantation, photolithography, n-tub, p-tub and twin-tub CMOS process.

Analog Circuits: Small Signal Equivalent circuits of diodes, BJTs, MOSFETs and analog CMOS. Simple diode circuits, clipping, clamping, rectifier. Biasing and bias stability of transistor and FET amplifiers. Amplifiers: single-and multi-stage, differential and operational, feedback, and power. Frequency response of amplifiers. Simple op-amp circuits. Filters. Sinusoidal oscillators; criterion for oscillation; single-transistor and op-amp configurations. Function generators and wave-shaping circuits, 555 Timers. Power supplies.

Digital circuits: Boolean algebra, minimization of Boolean functions; logic gates; digital IC families (DTL, TTL, ECL, MOS, CMOS). Combinatorial circuits: arithmetic circuits, code converters, multiplexers, decoders, PROMs and PLAs. Sequential circuits: latches and flip-flops, counters and shift-registers. Sample and hold circuits, ADCs, DACs. Semiconductor memories. Microprocessor(8085): architecture, programming, memory and I/O interfacing.

Signals and Systems: Definitions and properties of Laplace transform, continuous-time and discrete-time Fourier series, continuous-time and discrete-time Fourier Transform, DFT and FFT, z-transform. Sampling theorem. Linear Time-Invariant (LTI) Systems: definitions and properties; causality, stability, impulse response, convolution, poles and zeros, parallel and cascade structure, frequency response, group delay, phase delay. Signal transmission through LTI systems.

Control Systems: Basic control system components; block diagrammatic description, reduction of block diagrams. Open loop and closed loop (feedback) systems and stability analysis of these systems. Signal flow graphs and their use in determining transfer functions of systems; transient and steady state analysis of LTI control systems and frequency response. Tools and techniques for LTI control system analysis: root loci, Routh-Hurwitz criterion, Bode and Nyquist plots. Control system compensators: elements of lead and lag compensation, elements of Proportional-Integral-Derivative (PID) control. State variable representation and solution of state equation of LTI control systems.

Communications: Random signals and noise: probability, random variables, probability density function, autocorrelation, power spectral density. Analog communication systems: amplitude and angle modulation and demodulation systems, spectral analysis of these operations, superheterodyne receivers; elements of hardware, realizations of analog communication systems; signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) calculations for amplitude modulation (AM) and frequency modulation (FM) for low noise conditions. Fundamentals of information theory and channel capacity theorem. Digital communication systems: pulse code modulation (PCM), differential pulse code modulation (DPCM), digital modulation schemes: amplitude, phase and frequency shift keying schemes (ASK, PSK, FSK), matched filter receivers, bandwidth consideration and probability of error calculations for these schemes. Basics of TDMA, FDMA and CDMA and GSM.

Electromagnetics: Elements of vector calculus: divergence and curl; Gauss and Stokes theorems, Maxwell's equations: differential and integral forms. Wave equation, Poynting vector. Plane waves: propagation through various media; reflection and refraction; phase and group velocity; skin depth. Transmission lines: characteristic impedance; impedance transformation; Smith chart; impedance matching; S parameters, pulse excitation. Waveguides: modes in rectangular waveguides; boundary conditions; cut-off frequencies; dispersion relations. Basics of propagation in dielectric waveguide and optical fibers. Basics of Antennas: Dipole antennas; radiation pattern; antenna gain.

Just start covering the topics and refer to the previous years question papers.
24th July 2010, 09:53 AM
rajanivedha

Post Re: How to prepare for gate from third year of engineering onwards?

hi dear!!!
its good to know u have an interest in 3rd yr ...
keep ur spirit moving...
yup ur entrance score is a must for the admissions...
and ur percentile can be above 60 okie...

but u should no limit ur percentile to 60 ... hav to score more... but for all this GATE is best one u hav to score ur best in it...

all the questions wil be inside the curriculam oly.. so concentrate on the subjects and get model question papers and try solving it ....

hav a regular practice... its not a difficult exam....here by i attach model paper follow it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i m student of entc engg in 3rd year.. i would like to know how can i start preparing for gate for 2012? what should i more focus on?
as my branch is electronics n comm. i would like to ask how much percentile is required in graduation ? does it has to do anything with entrance score? how much should i score minimum to get admission in good college? i study in pune,maharashtra. so can u pls suggest me good colleges overall...? i would be thankful to you...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ec2006.pdf(766.3 KB, 92 views)
24th July 2010, 12:40 PM
karthu
Senior Member+

hi
You can join tutorials to crack GATE exam.
One of them is the Brilliant tutorial.Also their books are also available. Please contact at [email protected].
24th July 2010, 03:00 PM
imira
Senior Member+++++

In order pass the GATE your basics/fundamentals should be clear.Solve the previous years question papers.Go for mock tests.Prepare a list of formulae for the reference.If you learn the basics from first year onwards it will be easy for you.Also solve the sample series.Graduates or post graduates in Maths/Engineering/Architecture are eligible to write GATE. It has negative marking also.Refer the site gateonline.gateiisc.in/gate2011 for more details.
24th July 2010, 07:48 PM
trupti_9227

hello,
You can also joins some coaching institutes for GATE entrence exam

GATE Training Institutes in Pune:
1.Vani Institute Of Engineering & Technology:GATE,GRE,CAT,XMAT

2.VIDYASAGAR CLASSES (Pune):GATE, CAT

3.Pict Sit: Embedded , VLSI, Higher Studies (GATE, GMAT, CAT, GRE, IAS, IES )

4.Bulls Eye: Higher Studies (GATE, GMAT, CAT, GRE, IAS, IES )

5.Deccancode: Embedded , VLSI, Higher Studies (GATE, GMAT, CAT, GRE, IAS, IES )

6.Career Forum Limited: Higher Studies (GATE, GMAT, CAT, GRE, IAS, IES )

MINIMUM SCORE TO GET A GOOD UNIVERSITY:

for general: minimum 650 marks must be required
for sc/st/obc: 450 marks will be needed.

all the best ...........prepare well
27th July 2010, 06:05 PM
Unregistered

hi
i m student of 3rd year computer sci. and engg.. i want to appear for gate in my third year itself ... i want to know which portion of the syllabus comes from fourth year and which part of it will be easy from 4th yr which i can prepare without guidance...
nivedita
29th July 2010, 01:14 PM
Unregistered

How to start preparing in third yr of engineering?I a student from Information Technology.Also what are the books to be followed?
30th July 2010, 12:22 AM
subhash5687
Banned

Thumbs up Re: How to prepare for gate from third year of engineering onwards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
for the prepration of gate material is available on the book sellers by the made ezy buy it
31st July 2010, 11:47 PM
Unregistered

whch z d gud coachng instiutes for gate entrance?am confusd plz help me out
31st August 2010, 10:22 AM
subhasish
Senior Member++

Hello Friend
You have decided to prepare for GATE at right time ,so start preparation from now..Get the materials from the college library such as the materials of GATE FPRUM or the materials of BRILLIANT TUTORIAL...

And get the complete syllabus from the GATE brochure and star preparing.And the try to build up the concepts on each of the topics you read.

Best wishes..
31st August 2010, 03:32 PM
rajesh gupta 1

Dear friend;

For the preparation of GATE exam first you

go through the deep study of Matematics,

Analog & dital electronics, Control system, etc...........

At last for testing your preparation

go through previous year question paper as well

as model papers.
5th September 2010, 07:26 PM
Unregistered

i m student of ELECTRICAL engg in 2nd year.. i would like to know how can i start preparing for gate for 2012? what should i more focus on?
as my branch is ELICTRICAL.
6th September 2010, 10:46 PM
poplu13
Senior Member+

GATE is not difficult to crack...with hard efforts and sincerity..one can easily crack the exam,,..you need to be focused from the beginning,...first keep in mind that you need to be fundamentally strong...read books for each subject...practice sample papers...A minimum of ^ months of sincere study is required for GATE exam to be cracked...
7th September 2010, 08:56 AM
syedirshadameen

Post Re: How to prepare for gate from third year of engineering onwards?

Friend first clear your backlogs then you have a time to prepare for GATE exam
7th September 2010, 04:37 PM
KHAN20

dear friend,
to prepare ur self for gate exam u have to follow some procedure.first of all u must buy gate exam related book from market.then solved it's question paper.or u can take coaching under any institution such as gate forroum,briliant tutorials,briliant study academy etc.they provide u a good study material.u solved there study material .i m sure that u must qualify gate exam.
for more information regarding gate u can search www.gateforroum.com,www.briliant tutorial.com etc.
so take decission & make ur bright future.
good luck.
7th September 2010, 07:57 PM
bapuram

dear friend,
you may join the gate forum and take regular classes and give mock test you must get the real facility of it and you may follow the book of g.k publishers for knowing the pattern of questions, and study regularly in the gap of your semester exam, mind it.

good luck.
7th September 2010, 08:29 PM
mini rani
Senior Member++

HI!

Since you are in 3rd year of engineering if you wish, you can appear for GATE 2010 as the GATE score is valid for a period of 2 years.

GATE is one of the toughest exam in India for admission to MTech. Courses. So, you must prepare well before appearing in the exam.

Solving previous 10 years question papers is enough provided you are able to solve them with 99.9% accuracy.

Some useful strategies for GATE exam are:

Have a strong hold of the fundamentals.
Selection of right books & study materials.
Try to solve model papers based on latest exam pattern.
Analyze result, find out the weak areas & try to overcome those weak areas.
Regular practice is the only key to success in any exam
7th September 2010, 08:50 PM
meeria

dear friend

the GATE exam is not too difficult if you study regularly.
and do study according to GATE syllabus as bellow:

GATE 2011 Syllabus for ECE is as follows:
General Aptitude (GA)

Verbal Ability: English grammar, sentence completion, verbal analogies, word groups, instructions, critical reasoning and verbal deduction.

Numerical Ability: Numerical computation, numerical estimation, numerical reasoning and data interpretation.
Engineering Mathematics

Linear Algebra: Matrix Algebra, Systems of linear equations, Eigen values and eigen vectors.

Calculus: Mean value theorems, Theorems of integral calculus, Evaluation of definite and improper integrals, Partial Derivatives, Maxima and minima, Multiple integrals, Fourier series. Vector identities, Directional derivatives, Line, Surface and Volume integrals, Stokes, Gauss and Green’s theorems.

Differential equations: First order equation (linear and nonlinear), Higher order linear differential equations with constant coefficients, Method of variation of parameters, Cauchy’s and Euler’s equations, Initial and boundary value problems, Partial Differential Equations and variable separable method.

Complex variables: Analytic functions, Cauchy’s integral theorem and integral formula, Taylor’s and Laurent’ series, Residue theorem, solution integrals.

Probability and Statistics: Sampling theorems, Conditional probability, Mean, median, mode and standard deviation, Random variables, Discrete and continuous distributions, Poisson, Normal and Binomial distribution, Correlation and regression analysis.

Numerical Methods: Solutions of non-linear algebraic equations, single and multi-step methods for differential equations.

Transform Theory: Fourier transform, Laplace transform, Z-transform.
Electronics and Communication Engineering

Networks: Network graphs: matrices associated with graphs; incidence, fundamental cut set and fundamental circuit matrices. Solution methods: nodal and mesh analysis. Network theorems: superposition, Thevenin and Norton’s maximum power transfer, Wye-Delta transformation. Steady state sinusoidal analysis using phasors. Linear constant coefficient differential equations; time domain analysis of simple RLC circuits, Solution of network equations using Laplace transform: frequency domain analysis of RLC circuits. 2-port network parameters: driving point and transfer functions. State equations for networks.

Electronic Devices: Energy bands in silicon, intrinsic and extrinsic silicon. Carrier transport in silicon: diffusion current, drift current, mobility, and resistivity. Generation and recombination of carriers. p-n junction diode, Zener diode, tunnel diode, BJT, JFET, MOS capacitor, MOSFET, LED, p-I-n and avalanche photo diode, Basics of LASERs. Device technology: integrated circuits fabrication process, oxidation, diffusion, ion implantation, photolithography, n-tub, p-tub and twin-tub CMOS process.

Analog Circuits: Small Signal Equivalent circuits of diodes, BJTs, MOSFETs and analog CMOS. Simple diode circuits, clipping, clamping, rectifier. Biasing and bias stability of transistor and FET amplifiers. Amplifiers: single-and multi-stage, differential and operational, feedback, and power. Frequency response of amplifiers. Simple op-amp circuits. Filters. Sinusoidal oscillators; criterion for oscillation; single-transistor and op-amp configurations. Function generators and wave-shaping circuits, 555 Timers. Power supplies.

Digital circuits: Boolean algebra, minimization of Boolean functions; logic gates; digital IC families (DTL, TTL, ECL, MOS, CMOS). Combinatorial circuits: arithmetic circuits, code converters, multiplexers, decoders, PROMs and PLAs. Sequential circuits: latches and flip-flops, counters and shift-registers. Sample and hold circuits, ADCs, DACs. Semiconductor memories. Microprocessor(8085): architecture, programming, memory and I/O interfacing.

Signals and Systems: Definitions and properties of Laplace transform, continuous-time and discrete-time Fourier series, continuous-time and discrete-time Fourier Transform, DFT and FFT, z-transform. Sampling theorem. Linear Time-Invariant (LTI) Systems: definitions and properties; causality, stability, impulse response, convolution, poles and zeros, parallel and cascade structure, frequency response, group delay, phase delay. Signal transmission through LTI systems.

Control Systems: Basic control system components; block diagrammatic description, reduction of block diagrams. Open loop and closed loop (feedback) systems and stability analysis of these systems. Signal flow graphs and their use in determining transfer functions of systems; transient and steady state analysis of LTI control systems and frequency response. Tools and techniques for LTI control system analysis: root loci, Routh-Hurwitz criterion, Bode and Nyquist plots. Control system compensators: elements of lead and lag compensation, elements of Proportional-Integral-Derivative (PID) control. State variable representation and solution of state equation of LTI control systems.

Communications: Random signals and noise: probability, random variables, probability density function, autocorrelation, power spectral density. Analog communication systems: amplitude and angle modulation and demodulation systems, spectral analysis of these operations, superheterodyne receivers; elements of hardware, realizations of analog communication systems; signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) calculations for amplitude modulation (AM) and frequency modulation (FM) for low noise conditions. Fundamentals of information theory and channel capacity theorem. Digital communication systems: pulse code modulation (PCM), differential pulse code modulation (DPCM), digital modulation schemes: amplitude, phase and frequency shift keying schemes (ASK, PSK, FSK), matched filter receivers, bandwidth consideration and probability of error calculations for these schemes. Basics of TDMA, FDMA and CDMA and GSM.

Electromagnetics: Elements of vector calculus: divergence and curl; Gauss’ and Stokes’ theorems, Maxwell’s equations: differential and integral forms. Wave equation, Poynting vector. Plane waves: propagation through various media; reflection and refraction; phase and group velocity; skin depth. Transmission lines: characteristic impedance; impedance transformation; Smith chart; impedance matching; S parameters, pulse excitation. Waveguides: modes in rectangular waveguides; boundary conditions; cut-off frequencies; dispersion relations. Basics of propagation in dielectric waveguide and optical fibers. Basics of Antennas: Dipole antennas; radiation pattern; antenna gain.

some college in mumbai
1. Indian Institute of Technology Mumbai(IIT-M)
2.Agnel Charities Fr. Conceico Rodrigues Inst. Of Tech
3.Agnel Charities Fr. Conceico Rodrigues Inst. Of Tech
in pune:

1.PES modern college of engineering,
2.Genba sopanrao moze college of engineering
3.JSPM's jayawnanatrao sawant college of engineering
4.pimri chinchwad college of engineerig
5.Vishwakarma Inst Of Tech
6.Sinhgad Technical Education Society's College Of Engineering
7.Pune Inst Of Computer Tech

all the best
8th September 2010, 07:52 PM
NITIN2
Senior Member+

Dear friend

You take the syllabus from net and the compare with the syllabus of your university.

Then ,the which is common in both, you give stress on those topics. In this way

you will be prepared for both gate as well as your semester exam.
9th September 2010, 04:01 AM
robart
Senior Member+

dear friend,

at first make command over the subjects which you have read upto 3rd year.

because maximum syllabus of GATE exam is covered by the syllabus of your university upto 3rd year.a small portion of 4th year is asked in the GATE exam.

also practice from the previous year papers of GATE.do lot of practice.

you can join nay national level test series to check your preparation.if possible you can join any reputed coaching institutes also.

good luck.
14th September 2010, 05:49 PM
sumitkumarsharma
Senior Member+

dear friend,
at first time you give the gate exam is very important for you.you should be mentally prepared and preparation regularly and be honest about your study.you should clearly all fundamental questions.you should not join any tutorials because you are studiyg in 3rd yr,and think everything yourselves.pleae don,t think more and you should be serious.
you make a routine about your study.
good luck....
30th October 2010, 10:36 PM
JAMESS
Senior Member+++++

it is a very good idea to be prepared for the GATE examination for fourth year. you may also appear in GATE in 3rd year to see your ability and also for some experience.

in GATE question come only from the basic of your subject. so clear the basic knowledge. whatever you will read, read to know the concept or the basic. give more trash in mathematics then your subject electronics. because mathematics parts is more easy then the subject. even in the examination at least 15 to 20 marks come from mathematics. now if you can get 12 to 15 from here and if you are strong in aptitude then sure you will be able to clear the cut off. so math is very important.

then try to cover maximum of the syllabus of GATE because question may come from anywhere. so be prepared for all that. as you are electronics student i will suggest you to read electromagnetic, RF and microwave engineering carefully. because a good marks come from this chapter. also linked question come from this.

best wishes.
1st November 2010, 02:32 PM
amit04051988
Senior Member+

hello friend

since you are writing your exam in 2012 you have good time to prepare.

first be clear with all the basics of electromagnetic,RF,Microwave.

the paper will of objective type.

best of luck
15th November 2010, 07:33 PM
malini k

Dear friend,
You have enough time to prepare ,since you are writing the exam on year 2012
But don't lag your studies,keep going on seriously
Try to cover the entire syllabus and work out as many papers available
Try to prepare notes for your help and try to spend at least 1 hour in a day to prepare for GATE
Buy GATE books of GK publications or download the study materials from websites
Try to get online coaching or join coaching classes if you need
You can visit the websites like http://www.gateforum.com
Good luck friend
15th November 2010, 10:33 PM
ashish121

main thing is to join test series that helps u a lot
when u give mocks and all
so u can analyse ur strenth and weakness
analysis is very important for gate u can take the test series of gate forum
14th December 2010, 04:27 PM
Unregistered

VERY INTRESTED:
HI this is KARIMULLA frm EVM COllege.i am stud 3rd eee.
i hav a inst to becom a profe ,bt i dnt hav that much of financial stratagy.
but for my self satisfaction i am applyd for gate to write in 3rd year,so hhow i can deal with the both sem subjects and gate syllbus??????????????????????????????????????????

plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz send me proper path to my email is [email protected]
15th December 2010, 10:22 PM
mishra245

You can study online with the website http://www.onestopgate.com/
OR
Buy a book of Gate-2011(G.K.Publication).
15th December 2010, 10:56 PM
kumarpravir007
Senior Member+++

its good to start preparing for the gate exam from 3rd year itself
you should do coaching fron good coaching centre for the gate exam
18th December 2010, 12:26 PM
sindhusweety

my friend,
to appear for gate each and every thing was important
so first know about the syllabus

*this is the syllabus for you.

Networks: Network graphs: matrices associated with graphs; incidence, fundamental cut set and fundamental circuit matrices. Solution methods: nodal and mesh analysis. Network theorems: superposition, Thevenin and Norton’s maximum power transfer, Wye-Delta transformation. Steady state sinusoidal analysis using phasors. Linear constant coefficient differential equations; time domain analysis of simple RLC circuits, Solution of network equations using Laplace transform: frequency domain analysis of RLC circuits. 2-port network parameters: driving point and transfer functions. State equations for networks.

Electronic Devices: Energy bands in silicon, intrinsic and extrinsic silicon. Carrier transport in silicon: diffusion current, drift current, mobility, resistivity. Generation and recombination of carriers, p-n junction diode, Zener diode, tunnel diode, BJT, JFET, MOS capacitor, MOSFET, LED, p-l-n and avalanche photo diode, LASERs. Device technology: integrated circuits fabrication process, oxidation, diffusion, ion implantation, photolithography, n-tub, p-tub and twin-tub CMOS process.

Analog Circuits: Equivalent circuits (large and small-signal) of diodes, BJTs, JFETs, and MOSFETs. Simple diode circuits, clipping, clamping, rectifier. Biasing and bias stability of transistor and FET amplifiers. Amplifiers: single-and multi-stage, differential, operational, feedback and power. Analysis of amplifiers; frequency response of amplifiers. Simple op-amp circuits. Filters. Sinusoidal oscillators; criterion for oscillation; single-transistor and op-amp configurations. Function generators and wave-shaping circuits. Power supplies.

Digital circuits: Boolean algebra, minimization of Boolean functions; logic gates digital IC families (DTL, TTL, ECL, MOS, CMOS). Combinational circuits: arithmetic circuits, code converters, multiplexers and decoders. Sequential circuits: latches and flip-flops, counters and shift-registers. Sample and hold circuits, ADCs, DACs. Semiconductor memories. Microprocessor(8085): architecture, programming, memory and I/O interfacing.

Signals and Systems: Definitions and properties of Laplace transform, continuous-time and discrete-time Fourier series, continuous-time and discrete-time Fourier Transform, z-transform. Sampling theorems. Linear Time-Invariant (LTI) Systems: definitions and properties; casuality, stability, impulse response, convolution, poles and zeros frequency response, group delay, phase delay. Signal transmission through LTI systems. Random signals and noise: probability, random variables, probability density function, autocorrelation, power spectral density.

Controls Systems: Basic control system components; block diagrammatic description, reduction of block diagrams. Open loop and closed loop (feedback) systems and stability analysis of these systems. Signal flow graphs and their use in determining transfer functions of systems; transient and steady state analysis of LTI control systems and frequency response. Tools and techniques for LTI control system analysis: root loci, Routh-Hurwitz criterion, Bode and Nyquist plots. Control system compensators: elements of lead and lag compensation, elements of Proportional-lntegral-Derivative(PID) control. State variable representation and solution of state equation of LTI control systems.

Communications: Analog communication systems: amplitude and angle modulation and demodulation systems, spectral analysis of these operations, superheterodyne receivers; elements of hardware, realizations of analog communication systems; signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) calculations for amplitude modulation (AM) and frequency modulation (FM) for low noise conditions. Digital communication systems: pulse code modulation (PCM), differential pulse code modulation (DPCM), delta modulation (DM); digital modulation schemes-amplitude, phase and frequency shift keying schemes (ASK, PSK, FSK), matched filter receivers, bandwith consideration and probability of error calculations for these schemes.

Electromagnetics: Elements of vector calculus: divergence and curl; Gauss’ and Stokes’ theorems, Maxwell’s equations: differential and integral forms. Wave equation, Poynting vector. Plane waves: propagation through various media; reflection and refraction; phase and group velocity; skin depth. Transmission lines: characteristic impedance; impedance transformation; Smith chart; impedance matching; pulse excitation. Waveguides: modes in rectangular waveguides; boundary conditions; cut-off frequencies; dispersion relations. Antennas: Dipole antennas; antenna arrays; radiation pattern; reciprocity theorem, antenna gain.

Gate Eligibilty::

The following categories of candidates are eligible to appear in GATE:

a. Bachelor’s degree holders in Engineering/Technology/Architecture/Pharmacy (4 years after 10+2) and those who are in the final or pre-final year of such programmes.

b. Master’s degree holders in any branch of Science/Mathematics/Statistics/Computer Applications or equivalent and those who are in the final or pre-final year of such programmes.

d. Candidates in the second or higher year of the Four-year Integrated Master’s degree programme (Post-B.Sc.) in Engineering/Technology or in the third or higher year of Five-year Integrated Master’s degree programme and Dual Degree programme in Engineering/ Technology.

c. Candidates with qualifications obtained through examination conducted by professional societies recognised by UPSC/AICTE as equivalent to B.E./B.Tech. Those who have completed Section A or equivalent of such professional courses are also eligible.

**for better understanding i am also giving some questions that are asked in 2010

1. The eigen values of a skew-symmetric matrix are
(A) always zero (B) always pure imaginary
(C) either zero or pure imaginary (D) always real

2.For parallel RLC circuit, which one of the following statements is NOT correct?
(A) The bandwidth of the circuit deceases if R is increased
(B) The bandwidth of the circuit remains same if L is increased
(C) At resonance, input impedance is a real quantity
(D) At resonance, the magnitude of input impedance attains its minimum value.

3.Thin gate oxide in a CMOS process in preferably grown using
(A) wet oxidation (B) dry oxidation
(C) epitaxial deposition (D) ion implantation

4.A transmission line has a characteristic impedance of 50 Ω and a resistance of 0.1 Ω /m. if the line is distortion less, the attenuation constant (in Np/m) is
(A) 500 (B) 5 (C) 0.014 (D) 0.002

5.The magnitude of the electric field at x=0.5 μm is
(A) 1kV/cm (B) 5kV/cm (C) 10 kV/cm (D) 26kV/cm

6.Which of the following options is the closest in meaning to the world below: Circuitous
(A) Cyclic (B) indirect (C) confusing (D) crooked

7. The question below consists of a pair of related of related words followed by four pairs of words. Select the pair that best expresses the relation in the original pair. Unemployed: Worker
(A) fallow : land (B) unaware : sleeper
(C) wit : jester (D) renovated : house

8.Choose the most appropriate word from the options given below to complete the following sentence: If we manage to ________ our natural resources, we would leave a better planet for our children.
(A) uphold (B) restrain (C) Cherish (D) conserve

9.Choose the most appropriate word from the options given below to complete the following sentence: His rather casual remarks on politics _______ his lack of seriousness about the subject.
(A) masked (B) belied (C) cherish (D) conserve

10. 25 persons are in a room. 15 of them play hockey, 17 of them play football and 10 of them play both hockey and football. Then the number of persons playing neither hockey nor football is:
(A) 2 (B) 17 (C) 13 (D) 3
20th December 2010, 04:10 PM
nikita khunteta

Hello everyone
I am pursuing B.E. in IT from Delhi.can anyone tell me the syllabus for GATE(IT) and also the coaching institutes in Delhi from where i can prepare for GATE 2012.
26th December 2010, 06:15 PM
Unregistered

How to prepare for gate from third year of mechanical engineering onwards?
29th April 2011, 08:49 AM
Unregistered

amplitude modulation frequency modulation characteristics
19th May 2011, 07:59 AM
Unregistered

how to prepare for gate,nw i m in final yr-EE?
20th June 2011, 01:02 PM
Unregistered

Re: How to prepare for gate from 1st year of engineering onwards?
8th August 2011, 08:56 PM
Unregistered

i am doing chemical engineering from datta meghe college of engineering mumbai (first year). can you tell me how to study for it? and how to start prepare for gate exam from first year or is it possible? and tell me subjects under gate exams? thank you.
28th August 2011, 04:45 PM
Unregistered

i am at present in 2-1.i want to prepare for gate.please give me some suggesions how to prepare.i am a cse student.
28th August 2011, 08:53 PM
vipin bihari chaturvedi

Since you are in 3rd year of engineering if you wish, you can appear for GATE 2010 as the GATE score is valid for a period of 2 years.

GATE is one of the toughest exam in India for admission to MTech. Courses. So, you must prepare well before appearing in the exam.

Solving previous 10 years question papers is enough provided you are able to solve them with 99.9% accuracy.

Some useful strategies for GATE exam are:

Have a strong hold of the fundamentals.
Selection of right books & study materials.
Try to solve model papers based on latest exam patter

you may also take coaching classes from good institute like

gate forum.
guidance.
19th October 2011, 12:51 PM
Unregistered

I am a 1st year engineering student..my branch is electronics..i want to prepare for GATE from 1st year itself..would you suggest me some primary steps from now onwards??
30th October 2011, 09:43 PM
vinay21feb
Senior Member+++

Hello
As per the details of GATE(Graduate Aptitude Test In Engineering)

ELIGIBILITY FOR GATE

The following categories of candidates are eligible to appear in GATE :
Bachelor's degree holders in Engineering/Technology/ Architecture (4 years after 10+2) and those who are in the final year of such programmes.

Bachelor's degree holders in Engineering/Technology/Architecture (Post-B.Sc./Post-Diploma) and those who are in the final year of such programmes.

Master's degree holders in any branch of Science/Mathematics/ Statistics/Computer Applications or equivalent and those who are in the final year of such programmes.

Candidates in the second or higher year of the Four-year Integrated Master's degree programme (Post-B.Sc.) in Engineering/Technology.

Candidates in the fourth or higher year of Five-year Integrated Master's degree programme or Dual Degree programme in Engineering/Technology.

Candidates with qualifications obtained through examinations conducted by professional societies recognized by UPSC/AICTE (e.g. AMIE by Institute of Engineers (India); AMICE by Institute of Civil Engineers (India)) as equivalent to B.E./B.Tech. Those who have completed section A or equivalent of such professional courses are also eligible.

GATE 2012 - Important Dates

GATE 2012 application forms will be available from Monday 12 September 2011

Commencement of Online Application- Monday, September 2011
Last date for

Submission of Online Application (website closure)- Monday, 17 October 2011
Receipt of printed version of Online Application at respective zonal GATE office- Monday, 24 October 2011
Date of GATE 2012 Online Examination: 29-01-2012 (Sunday)

Date of GATE 2012 Offline Examination: 12-02-2012 (Sunday)
4th September 2012, 02:19 PM
Unregistered

i am a 3rd year student from bit mesra ..how to preare for gate 2014 during my be courses.i am from eee branch.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?