25th October 2010, 06:05 PM
Unregistered

What are rules for choosing Optional subject in UPSC Preliminary Exam?

I am graduate in BA(Hons)spanish. So is it possible to chose commerce or psychology as optional subject in preliminary examination for civil services?

26th October 2010, 12:00 PM
nikhilmi
Senior Member++++

Default Re: What are rules for choosing Optional subject in UPSC Preliminary Exam?

Hello,
For the preliminary exams of the UPSC,you can choose any one optional subject.There are 2 papers, one as General studies which is compulsary while the second paper is optional one which can be chosen as per choice.
The optional papers are-:
Agriculture, Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science, Botany, Chemistry, Civil Engineering, Commerce, Economics, Electrical Engineering, Geography, Geology, Indian History, Law, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Medical Science, Philosophy, Physics, Political Science, Psychology, Public Administration, Sociology, Statistics, Zoology.

So you can choose any one subject as per you choice.
30th October 2010, 04:30 AM
Sushant Roy
Senior Member++++

Default Re: What are rules for choosing Optional subject in UPSC Preliminary Exam?

hi friend,

You are eligible to write pre exam only if your degree-university is recongnised by govt. norms. So get this thing before applying.
Now , do you know that the subject selection method has been changed according to new rules into which you need not to select any optional subject in preliminary level.
Prelim comprises of two test paper:
Paper I - (200 marks) Duration: Two hours
•Current events of national and international importance
•History of India and Indian National Movement
•Indian and World Geography - Physical, Social, Economic geography of India and the World.
•Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
•Economic and Social Development – Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives, etc.
•General issues on Environmental ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change - that do not require subject specialization
•General Science
Paper II- (200 marks) Duration: Two hours
•Comprehension
•Interpersonal skills including communication skills;
•Logical reasoning and analytical ability
•Decision making and problem solving
•General mental ability
•Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude etc.) (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. -Class X level)
•English Language Comprehension skills (Class X level).
•Questions relating to English Language Comprehension skills of Class X level (last item in the Syllabus of Paper-II) will be tested through passages from English language only without providing Hindi translation thereof in the question paper.
•The questions will be of multiple choice, objective type

You need to select subject only in main exam which can be selected totally upon your wish.
7th November 2010, 05:42 AM
Gaurav.jain88

You can choose any subject from 22 subjects list of upse .
You have deep knowledge about that subject to clear the preliminary exam.
17th November 2010, 09:30 PM
Unregistered

hello i m now in BE 3rd yer student of IT can i elligible for exam ?
18th November 2010, 01:22 AM
mini rani
Senior Member++

HI!

If you are planning to appear in civil services exam, 2011 then there will be no optional subject in preliminary exam because the Prime Minister has approved the proposal for introduction of Civil Services Aptitude Test (CSAT) in place of the existing Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination. Change will be effective only for the first stage of the CSE from 2011,

Civil Services Aptitude Test (CSAT) 2011 would consist of Paper I and Paper II.
Candidates to appear for two objective papers having emphasis on aptitude and ethical and moral dimension of decision-making
Both the papers to have equal weightage
21st November 2010, 06:21 PM
jits
Senior Member++++

hey,

The CSAT(Civil Service Aptitude Test) has replaced the Civil service exam conducted by the UPSC as per the updates.it is of two objective papers with no subject as optional subject.
the age limit could be lowered
the number of attempts could also be reduced.
more emphasis will be laid on understanding and analysis than memorising.

all the best
28th December 2010, 06:10 PM
Unregistered

Sir which subjects is easy for IAS for b tech &b.a 2-which subjects is better to take in B.A to help for ias sir please sms at-9559300126
18th January 2011, 02:39 AM
abhimanyu2688

Post Re: What are rules for choosing Optional subject in UPSC Preliminary Exam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am graduate in BA(Hons)spanish. So is it possible to chose commerce or psychology as optional subject in preliminary examination for civil services?
According to the new pattern the prelims 2011 will consist of two papers i.e. paper 1 and paper 2 which will consist of questions from gk/current affairs, english comprehension, general aptitude and reasoning. so there is subject option is available to choose for the prelims exams as it was in previous pattern of examinations i.e. before 2010.
21st January 2011, 05:48 PM
abhimanyu2688

Hello Friend,
According to the new pattern of UPSC CSP which is to be followed by year 2011, there will not be any optional paper exam in the preliminary test and one has to give only two papers which are compulsory and they are:
1. GS and 2. General Reasoning and Aptitude Test which will also consist of question of english comprehension.
Good Luck.......
27th January 2011, 10:06 PM
Unregistered

Please tell me in detail about the preliminary syllabus 2011..Iam a BE (cse)..which optional subject has got good scope or might help me ?

As per my understanding there are 2 papers..Each have the same weightage..One paper about GK and current affairs..And the second paper is it based on Optional sub what we choose?? I cant understand what is CSAT??

Please clarify my doubts : [email protected]
28th January 2011, 12:55 PM
Unregistered

What about the mains?
30th January 2011, 08:55 PM
Unregistered

Can i choose a same optionl subject like psycology in both preliminary and main exams of upsc?
31st January 2011, 03:36 PM
Unregistered

Hi

For the mains exam we can select any of the 18 languages mentioned in the 8th schedule of Indian Constitution along with a qualifying paper in english.
Can one select "english " for the other paper as well as it is also one of the languages mentioned in the 8th schedule?
21st February 2011, 06:41 PM
Unregistered

i am B.com graduate which optional subject i choose fo upsc main examination.
24th February 2011, 08:33 PM
Unregistered

in upsc preliminary exam form,there is an option of choosing optional subjects for statistical purpose. i dont understand this .please help me .contat me. [email protected]
28th February 2011, 12:53 PM
pradip raikwar

sir i m in B.A. final year student i want to do ias coaching then what subject i can choose my final year subject 1.HINDI LITRETURE 2.ENGLISH LITRETURE SIR PLS SUGGEST ME
11th March 2011, 09:32 PM
Unregistered

i did one mistake while choosing optional subjects ..i took both subjects which are not related to me ..now what to do..plz suggest smthing
12th March 2011, 02:37 PM
Unregistered

i want all codes list
25th March 2011, 07:36 PM
shahul1423

the upsc has changed the pattern of preliminary exam as csat(civil sevice aptitude test) instead of general studies paper in the preliminary exam.you can choose the optionals for main exam.there is no rules to choose the optonals .you can any subject fom the list.
10th April 2011, 01:54 PM
Unregistered

wht are rules for choosing optional subject in upsc preliminary exams for computer science student of 2nd year?
1st May 2011, 09:51 AM
Unregistered

Syllabus of statistics 4 pcs
5th May 2011, 01:55 PM
Unregistered

hey i m computer science engg student of 3rd year when i would be eligible for upsc (IAS) exam. which subject should i choose.....
1st June 2011, 11:37 PM
Unregistered

respected sir/madam
i complete my b.com .i want to give enternence test of u.p.s.c exam.plz tel me abt the choosen of optional subject
2nd June 2011, 01:32 PM
vish_ful

Hi Guys,

Please clarify one thing for me ... can we change the optional subjests for mains after CSAT 2011. or do we have to stick with the same subjects ?
13th June 2011, 04:01 PM
Unregistered

hello sir...
please tell me about the books which is necessary for p.c.s pre exam.
i will b very thankful 2 u.
20th June 2011, 01:36 PM
Unregistered

what are rules for choosing optional subject in UPSC Mains.
26th June 2011, 09:44 PM
Unregistered

which optional subjects to choose if i am doing plane bsc?
30th June 2011, 06:27 PM
Unregistered

can we change optional subject which we selected in csat exam form?
9th July 2011, 03:10 PM
pops07
Senior Member+++++

Yes Why not??

You can choose that combination....

But don't choose:

Political Science & International Relations and Public Administration
Commerce and Management
Anthropology and Sociology
Maths and Statistics
Agriculture and Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
Management and Public Administration
Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science and Medical Science
Any two branches of engineering.
Combination of two literatures.

Besides these there is no such rules....

be confident what you choose...
10th July 2011, 01:23 PM
Unregistered

how many times we can appear in IAS exams.lest we fail to qualify in the first chance
14th July 2011, 05:17 PM
Unregistered

i have problem that which subject in pre and which for mains while i am pursuing my graduation by mathematics
8th August 2011, 07:30 PM
Unregistered

Dear frns,
I am doing MBA, I opted sociology as first optional.
Bt bit confused abt taking second optional whether to take
management or Pub. Ad. as optional...
Management ..i m familiar .. have interest but has a vast syllabus
Pub. Ad...... finds it very subjective ...interest has to be developed but syllabus is ok.
Please help me in choosing the right optional.
20th August 2011, 01:26 AM
Unregistered

Which Optional subject should I choose for Civil Services exam after BA???
29th September 2011, 12:36 PM
Unregistered

I am doing Charted Accountancy course?which subject i shall take in my upsc mains ? i mean which subjects generally a ca student or a commerce student takes??
4th December 2011, 05:58 PM
Unregistered

iam a 2nd yr b tech student shall i choose civil engineering in prelims pls give details about about it iam confused
4th December 2011, 07:33 PM
nida shakeel

Hello,
For the preliminary exams of the UPSC,you can choose any one optional subject.There are 2 papers, one as General studies which is compulsary while the second paper is optional one which can be chosen as per choice.
The optional papers are-:
Agriculture, Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science, Botany, Chemistry, Civil Engineering, Commerce, Economics, Electrical Engineering, Geography, Geology, Indian History, Law, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Medical Science, Philosophy, Physics, Political Science, Psychology, Public Administration, Sociology, Statistics, Zoology.

So you can choose any one subject as per you choice.
14th December 2011, 04:30 PM
abhisek.sonu

If you are planning to appear in civil services exam, 2011 then there will be no optional subject in preliminary exam because the Prime Minister has approved the proposal for introduction of Civil Services Aptitude Test (CSAT) in place of the existing Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination. Change will be effective only for the first stage of the CSE from 2011,

Civil Services Aptitude Test (CSAT) 2011 would consist of Paper I and Paper II.
Candidates to appear for two objective papers having emphasis on aptitude and ethical and moral dimension of decision-making
Both the papers to have equal weightage
8th February 2012, 07:08 PM
Unregistered

i have done BCA and MCA.. what subjects i should choose??
7th March 2012, 08:47 PM
Unregistered

which optional subjects to choose if i am completed b-tech in computr science?pls help me!!!!!!
23rd April 2012, 10:38 AM
Unregistered

I am in last year of B.Com Can I choose Indian History & Public Administration?
26th April 2012, 01:03 PM
Unregistered

hi i m in s y bbi and ii wana aplly for IAS exam so wich subjet ican take
21st May 2012, 01:57 PM
Unregistered

hi i completed ece btech which options is better choose in upsc preliminary exam?
16th June 2012, 11:28 AM
Unregistered

can i give the general studies paper in hindi medium and other optional paper in english medium in upsc?
10th October 2014, 07:58 PM
edbgfb

what is fee for change optional subject?
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?