3rd November 2010, 04:14 PM
Burhan khan

GATE Self Study Preparation Tips for Those Who Are Doing Jobs And Can't Join Coaching Classes

I am appearing in GATE for c.s paper since august .
I am doing job as a MIS manager in nrega so i cant take coaching. How i can prepare with self study by standard text book.
weather threemonths remains for gate. and tell me is it possible to get very good score in GATE with self study or my labour is useless.

Related Questions:
  1. Coaching classes for GATE exam? Can I get the study material for it?
  2. Is it fine to take 1 year gap for GATE coaching? Is it true that some companies do not select students with gaps? List of GATE coaching classes in India?
  3. Does Chanakya IAS academy prepare for SSC?
  4. Preparation for an accountancy school teacher? How to prepare for school service commission exam? -- [New]
  5. How to prepare for GATE to secure seat in IIT? Suitable books and coaching classes in Hyderabad for preparation?
  6. How to start preparation for CAT Exam? Tips to prepare for this Exam? Where to get study material for this Exam? Which is the best Coaching Institute for this Exam?
  7. Preferable coaching classes for preparation of GMAT in Hyderabad? Tips for preparation?
  8. How to prepare for GK, English or tamil?
  9. Which coaching should I join for preparation for GATE entrance exam?
  10. Detailed information, cost of application form and coaching classes for preparation of CLAT in Bhopal? Tips for preparation?
  11. Should I join any coaching classes to prepare for GATE? -- [Most Discussed]
  12. List of the colleges offering M.Tech course in Electronics apart from IITs and NITs? When should I start preparation for GATE? List of the best GATE coaching classes in Mumbai?
  13. Is it essential to join coaching for IAS entrance exam preparations? Is it possible to prepare by self study and join coaching just to give evaluation tests?
  14. Options for engineering students who have not join any coaching classes for exams like CAT, GATE, GRE etc?
  15. Should I join IIT coaching classes or do self study?
  16. How can I prepare for IES Exam being a candidate of BE in CSE?
  17. Can I do AMIE after class 12th? Is AMIE is only for working person?
  18. How to prepare for GATE after finishing 3rd year of engineering? Should I join any institute in Bangalore for GATE preparation?
3rd November 2010, 05:39 PM
nehachopra1301

Default Re: GATE Self Study Preparation Tips for Those Who Are Doing Jobs And Can't Join Coaching Classes

Dear friend

One simply needs the clarity of concepts and regular focussed study to crack GATE........
so all u need is simply dedication and consistency.....

ALL THE BEST........
3rd November 2010, 06:34 PM
Gaurav.jain88

Default Re: GATE Self Study Preparation Tips for Those Who Are Doing Jobs And Can't Join Coaching Classes

Ofcourse you can secure good marks in gate exam:
I think your stretegy should be take look over the previous year paper note down the subjects like Data structure, TOC, Operating system, DBMS have higher weightage so prepare these subjects first then prepare the aptitude as its weightage is 15 percent then solve previous year papers.
If time left then go for other subjects.

Good luck.........
3rd November 2010, 09:36 PM
piyush2355

1. This is study Material from BT
http://www.ziddu.com/download/10764869/GATEMETIRAL2010CSESET-2.pdf.html
this contains : combinatorics, GT, Algebra,Calculus
2. DMGT book by Mott-Kandal
http://rapidshare.com/files/419864306/8120315022_Mott_Discrete_Mathematics.djvu
3. DMGT book by ROSEN,GROSS, SHIER, GROSSMAN, MICHAELS
http://rapidshare.com/files/419864118/A_Handbook_Of_Discrete_Math.pdf
4.Introduction to Probability
http://rapidshare.com/files/419891393/Intro_to_Probability.pdf
5. Graph Theory By Diestel
http://rapidshare.com/files/419891395/GraphTheorybyDiestel.pdf
6. Number Systems and Algebra
http://rapidshare.com/files/419891394/NumberSystemsandBooleanAlgebra.pdf

1. OS Study material from BT
http://rapidshare.com/files/419864307/Chapter2.Operating.System.Concepts.pdf
2. OS Book By Mark Burgess
http://rapidshare.com/files/419892712/Operating_Systems_Book.pdf
3. OS Question Bank
http://rapidshare.com/files/419893110/os-study.pdf
4. OS Questions Solutions
http://rapidshare.com/files/419893226/os-study.sol.pdf

DON'T FORGET TO SAY THANKS IF YOU LIKE MY POST
IF YOU DON'T REPLY THE POST WILL DIE ....
3rd November 2010, 11:40 PM
Sushant Roy
Senior Member++++

hi friend,

Time is a cruicual factor in any competitive exam, so GATE is also one of them. Although three months are left for this exam, but you can plan accordingly to get best of these months.

Time Management:

-See the whole syllabus , you can easily see that Mathematcs + computers portion are there. Please dont give emphasis on mathematics portion from now. Mathematics is the part which is to be prepared later in the last week of January.
-Now main core subject portion is left. There are almost 11 broad topics classification. Just see that you are having two and a half months and in this time, asssign almost 1-2 weeks for each classification.
-Left time is for revision only.

Tips:

-Firstly check , whether you are equipped with the study material or not. You are lucky that you belong to computers stream, its books and material is easily available on net.
-Go through all study material and study-plan accordingly. As you are a working person just take out atleast 3-4 hrs daily for selfstudy.
-Make short notes of those topics which you want to revise (or about which you know that the thing you are reading will not stay in your mind for long time).
-Solving question paper is a good habit, but before going through that topic dont solve paper of it.
4th November 2010, 01:55 AM
sureshcse547

can u give the information about which subjects are more weight
4th November 2010, 10:52 AM
tirthak04

practice is the keyword here...see, basically coaching centres do little more than give you practice on a regular basis ..so if you are dedicated enough and practice on your own there is no need for any coaching centre...as for "how" to do this ..there are plenty of online sites which give you free tests/practice material/notes on the GATE...
http://www.wiziq.com/tests/gate
http://gate.examcrazy.com/ etc.. will help you in doing this..best of luck !
10th January 2011, 09:26 PM
sindhusweety

Red face Re: GATE Self Study Preparation Tips for Those Who Are Doing Jobs And Can't Join Coaching Classes

|

1.Material Collection

* Syllabus
* All the relevant books based on the subject(Divide the books in two groups – (1) Fundamental and basic concepts (2) Problem oriented
* Some books helpful for pre-requisite knowledge on the subject
* Some good guide books for GATE
* Previous questions papers

2.Keep contact with some expert and GATE experienced persons

3.Study – Syllabus and Previous questions papers

4.Start from the first chapter

* read at least 5 books, it will widen your knowledge(if necessary consult with the books for pre-requisite knowledge or with some expert)
* Note down the probable concepts(definitions, unit, dimension etc.)
* Note down necessary theories, formulae etc
* Solve problems as maximum as possible(from text books, Guide books etc)
* Think about various tricks in solving problems(if necessary, note it)
* Go for series of self tests based on this chapter(take other’s help to conduct tests)
* Continue the self tests until getting a very good score

5.Solve more and more problems, discover more and more new tricks…

6.Follow the same procedure for the rest chapters

7.Finally, go for self tests based on whole syllabus(take other’s help to conduct these tests)

8.On the exam day…you will be at the Pick, who can stop you?
ATE exam dates, GATE exam details
25th January 2011, 12:57 AM
satinder kaur ghuman

i want to go for Gate exam for master degree after my graduation,as im the student of B.tech(IT) 3rd year,so plz suggest me online study material for Gate exam...
thankyou
6th March 2011, 02:24 PM
harshhunny
Member+

1. Material Collection

•Syllabus
•All the relevant books based on the subject(Divide the books in two groups
(1) Fundamental and basic concepts

(2) Problem oriented

•Some books helpful for pre-requisite knowledge on the subject
•Some good guide books for GATE
•Previous questions papers
2. Keep contact with some expert and GATE experienced persons

3. Study - Syllabus and Previous questions papers

4. Start from the first chapter

•read at least 5 books, it will widen your knowledge(if necessary consult with the books for pre-requisite knowledge or with some expert)
•Note down the probable concepts (definitions, unit, dimension etc.)
•Note down necessary theories, formulae etc.
•Solve problems as maximum as possible(from text books, Guide books etc)
•Think about various tricks in solving problems(if necessary, note it)
•Go for series of self-tests based on this chapter(take other's help to conduct tests)
•Continue the self-tests until getting a very good score
5. Solve more and more problems, discover more and more new tricks

6. Follow the same procedure for the rest chapters

7. Finally, go for self-tests based on whole syllabus (take other's help to conduct these tests)

Preparation Strategy:

•Starting 8 – 12 months before GATE exam: Do more of theory in the first few months and just a few practice questions. Make your notes as you learn and your concepts should really be strong. In months 3 and 4 focus on answering GATE type questions. Mark your areas of weaknesses and strengths. In months 5 and 6 work on your weaknesses. Finally in months 7 onwards, start answering more GATE like papers and hone your skills.
•Starting 4 – 8 months before GATE exam: In the first 2 months, do a combination of theory and practice questions. Focus month 3 on taking tests. The remaining months should be spent on taking tests and refining your strengths and weaknesses.
•Starting 2 – 4 months before GATE exam: Only focus on the theory of important topics and practice as many questions as possible in the first month. The remaining time should be spent on building on these strengths and taking 2-3 new topics every week from the other untouched areas.
•Starting less than 2 months before GATE exam: Your focus has to be on solving GATE type questions accurately. Whenever you are unable to solve the questions, refer to the relevant theory and make notes.

last year papers are attached
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GATE Sample Paper 1.pdf(139.2 KB, 216 views)
File Type: pdf -GATE Sample Paper 2.pdf(448.9 KB, 170 views)
30th June 2011, 02:17 PM
Unregistered

my last year percentile was 95 and this year i want to score more... can you please suggest me how
5th July 2011, 08:06 PM
Unregistered

can u sendme d study material from BT which r helpful 2 study GATE by self ?
17th July 2011, 07:51 PM
Unregistered

hello,i am rakesh Nayak
now i am in 2nd yr b.tech AE&I branch.i want to prepare for GATE exam...which book i should follow and what all things i have to do for scoreing good rank in GATE exam...
20th July 2011, 11:23 PM
pops07
Senior Member+++++

To cover the whole topic of the exam, you have to read books of various authors on Computer science.

Some recommended books are given here...

It is advisable that you take a coaching for GATE to crack it in first attempt.

But if you don't want to take any, then you have to work very very hard for that.

You should have a very strong base of the subject...a clear idea of all topics...study for atleast 18 hours a day for the exam. And be confident.

Take online study materials for getting the pattern, follow previous years solved papers...
You will get them here!

Follow the standard books...don't try to read those books which is not popular for GATE.

Prepare notes chapter wise...while studying, don't leave any doubt, clear your doubts anyhow!

These are some tips for self study....the rest is up to you.

Be confident and dedicated!
25th July 2011, 12:39 PM
Unregistered

I am mechanical engineer completed my graduation may 2011.I want to do M.Tech next year in IIT. I got two job offers one is a ship design company and other is TCS.I am currently working in that ship design company and TCS will call me at this year end (nov-Dec)only..I want to preapare for GATE exam while working in this company. will it be enough to crack gate? or i quit this job and i will have 3-4 months free till tcs call me and i willl prepare these months for gate preparation.And i am a above average student. i am confused between these two options whether to study along with the job,. or quit my job and to prepare for gate till tcs calling
30th August 2011, 03:44 PM
Unregistered

pls help me out with the website where i will get study material for GATE preperation for chemical engg
18th September 2011, 02:03 PM
Unregistered

Post Re: GATE Self Study Preparation Tips for Those Who Are Doing Jobs And Can't Join Coaching Classes

Hello friends i'm sharif. Plz tell me about gate exam, how 2 prepare good in 3 months(befr janry) my branch is EEE. In which subjects take more marks in electrical, i'hav no idea about this plz tel me, self study for easy preparation. And how to collect material(more marks). Thank's
2nd October 2011, 11:27 PM
Unregistered

am studying b.tech 2 nd year so,from now onwards i want to prepare for gate can u plese tell me suggestion
23rd October 2011, 05:56 AM
Unregistered

can you please post here some inportant tips and study material link for gate 2012 in chemical engg ??????
1st November 2011, 06:10 PM
Unregistered

will 2.5 months be sufficient for the GATE 2012 preparation?My branch is civil engg.last year my percentile was 95.2.
9th December 2011, 03:49 AM
Unregistered

what topics i prefers more than other,i am prepare for gate grom EC STREAM
RPLY ME ON MY ID IS [email protected]
18th January 2012, 12:15 PM
Unregistered

i am a 3rd year b.tech student . i want to do m.tech in mathematics .please guide me how to start my preparation for gate
5th February 2012, 09:46 PM
Unregistered

download topicwise question set for cs branch for gate preparation
12th March 2012, 06:10 PM
Unregistered

i m left with 9 months for gate'13 and i haven't almost not started any preparations yet, so Do u think i would be able to crack it if i work harder ????
19th March 2012, 01:55 PM
Unregistered

How I can start the preparation for gate without coachin?
28th March 2012, 08:23 PM
Unregistered

i m studyning b.tech 3rd year ece How I can start the preparation for gate without coaching?
28th March 2012, 08:26 PM
Unregistered

How I can start the preparation for gate without coachin?
12th April 2012, 12:05 PM
Sabu15

same here buddy, i just need some guidance. BTW which branch u r from?
13th April 2012, 03:18 AM
indu_sarabhai

List of B.Com subjects in first year are as follows :-
1]Business environment
2]Business economics
3]Financial accounting
4]business regulatory framework
5]business management
6]business statistics
11th June 2012, 02:36 PM
Unregistered

which is better to take as second option for gate 2013 among botony and zoology for biochemistry student
19th July 2012, 08:52 PM
Unregistered

how to prepare for gate electrical by without going coaching?
26th September 2012, 03:18 PM
Unregistered

how can i get prepration for gate
31st May 2013, 09:04 PM
BISWAROOP YOGI
Senior Member++

>> GATE useful preparation tips :-
* Get your fundamentals right :-
Students spend months to prepare for the exam. However, to secure a seat it is really important that you get your fundamentals right. GATE is one such exam which tests you on your fundamentals.
* Read different and unique study materials :-
It is really important while preparing for exam you read books written by various authors on various topics. Reading and preparing from one book or two books is not sufficient to crack the exam. So it is really important that you prepare for GATE exam from different books which cater your needs. The study material of the books should be unique so it will add value to your knowledge not just repetition of what you already know.
* Discuss Quality questions :-
It is really important that you prepare for quality questions. It is really important to solve the tricky questions. Rather than solving simple questions and wasting your time, it is better that you spend more time on solving concept based questions.
* Solve Previous years papers :-
To understand the pattern of the exam and get familiar with it, aspirants should solve the previous year's papers of GATE exam. It will also brush up your basic concepts and exposes you to real exam pattern.
* Solve mock test papers :-
While preparing for the exam it is really important that you should solve as many papers as you can. Solve mock papers to understand the basic concepts. Mock test will give you the image of real paper and make you aware about what type of questions will be asked in the examination. So, try to solve as much papers as you can.
> Best of Luck !
31st August 2013, 11:03 PM
raghavamaruthi

Dear friend,

As you need the preparation without any coaching,the best option for your self study is to use online coaching.As GATE pattern includes three parts of syllabus,one is engineering mathematics,second one is aptitude and the third part includes your core subjects,you have to manage to study your core subjects which are common in your present year and GATE syllabus simultaneously.It will save your time.

You have to manage other subjects after the completion of your present studying year subjects.You have to keep in touch with previously studied subjects also.

At last you have to revise all the GATE syllabus.

ALL THE BEST.
31st August 2013, 11:04 PM
raghavamaruthi

Smile Re: GATE Self Study Preparation Tips for Those Who Are Doing Jobs And Can't Join Coaching Classes

Dear friend,

As you need the preparation without any coaching,the best option for your self study is to use online coaching.As GATE pattern includes three parts of syllabus,one is engineering mathematics,second one is aptitude and the third part includes your core subjects,you have to manage to study your core subjects which are common in your present year and GATE syllabus simultaneously.It will save your time.

You have to manage other subjects after the completion of your present studying year subjects.You have to keep in touch with previously studied subjects also.

At last you have to revise all the GATE syllabus.

ALL THE BEST.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?