12th December 2011, 06:46 PM
angel.amy

Do I have to give GRE if I want to do Ph.D from outside India?

Hello I am doing msc biotech from vit(last year).want to do PhD from outside of India.so for that i have to give gre?n for biotech student what are the subject is dere?

4th July 2012, 02:11 PM
sherleytwain
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Do I have to give GRE if I want to do Ph.D from outside India?

To complete PhD from any reputed university from outside India, mainly in United States and Europe, GRE or TOEFL is very important.

Even though some people on internet claims to know about universities that offer admission for PhD without GRE score, the truth is that not a single reputed university abroad will give you admission without GRE score.

There are additional advantages of GRE. If you get good marks in GRE, some universities will offer you scholarships and even give waiver for tutition fees. Please remember that not every university offers this but their are some that really do.

Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is very important for students to showcase their ability which would be a criteria to get admission in foreign university. At present there is no age or qualification restriction on students who wishes to appear in GRE exam.

Each GRE test is vaild for the period of 5 years. After which you will have to complete the test once again. However it is advised to appear in test not more than 2 years prior before you plan to take admission in foreign university.

There is a fee to appear in the GRE exam which varies from country to country. In India this fee is $140 which would be around Rs 6000 to 7000. Unfortunately you can not make payment in Indian Rupee.

You can get a DD un USD at name of "ETS - GRE" which is payable in United States. Not every bank branch offer this facility in India. Only selective branches in major cities can offer you this facility.

Alternatively you can make the payment via credit card (visa or mastercard) which is acceptable globally. If you don't have credit card of your own, you can use CC of your father to make the payment.

Biotech students as yourself would have to take GRE General Test. You are not suppose to take GRE subject test.
2nd September 2012, 04:16 PM
being aman

Default Re: Do I have to give GRE if I want to do Ph.D from outside India?

This is the direct way to get a PhD in countries like USA .
Besides GRE you will need to clear TOEFL or IELTS for showing your proficiency in English
Via this score you have to search universities that gives PhD around your score and thus
you have to apply to them (it is not necessary that you will get a PhD )
Other way is you via PhD openings on internet for those positions to apply you will need
atleast 2 referees that will give you reference
A suggestion is to make an academic transcript as you will require it every where outside India
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?