15th January 2012, 09:58 PM
pavankonda

What are the opportunities for MS in India? Does that count in IT industry?

Can anyone tell me how is MS in India???....from colleges like BITS?...Does that count in IT industry?...

7th April 2015, 02:12 AM
ranjeet250490
Senior Member++++

Arrow Re: What are the opportunities for MS in India? Does that count in IT industry?

MS stands for Masters of Science and its a post graduation degree course that is offered in both full time and part time. India is a nation where education is highly valued and appreciated. This is the reason why MS/MBA is getting more common these days. Many students are not satisfied with just a graduation degree and are willingly taking up their post graduation studies in various streams.

It is true that although MBA is a very dominant and prominent course in India, MS is not as much popular. It is only done by people who are either really interested in science or just for the sake of doing it. There is a deeper reason that leads to the above consequence. India is still a developing country and therefore scientifically advanced jobs are seldom available for the students to take up. This results in decreased interest among the candidates and therefore reduced and limited scope.

Instead if you thing about MBA, there are huge number of opportunities and therefore more demand. It is therefore more recommended in terms of high career growth and even higher compensation packages. And all the MBA Graduates from the top MBA Colleges get placed in top firm with the best packages.

Coming to your query about the IT Companies and the scope of MS in them, I feel it is almost nil. There is hardly any scope and the reasons for them are pretty clear. IT Companies are based on support and are seldom high on value creation. The ones who have IT/CS Background can thing of making a career but that can always be done with a graduation degree. The MS knowledge is never really used.

Instead if you work for a few years in some good client development project, you would have opportunities to turn up as an SME or even go abroad and work.

Thus, in my opinion MBA is a far better option than MS as far as India is concerned. However the same is pretty balanced if you are planning to take it up outside India. Countries like US, Australia and more value technical education a lot and the scope if equally high to rise and shine.

You have to be the architect of your own career.

Last edited by ranjeet250490; 9th April 2015 at 01:15 AM. Reason: As suggested by Support
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?