12th January 2011, 12:05 PM
Unregistered

What are the roles and responsibilities of a Deputy Collector in Tamil nadu? What are the preferable books for TNPSC Group-I exam?

I would like to know more about the role of a Deputy Collector in Tamil Nadu .

Could you please help to let me know the follwing things.

1. What is the roles and responsibilities of Deputy Collector in Tamil Nadu?
2. How will the promotion pattern be for a Deputy Collector?
3. What are all the allowances/facilities available for this grade?
4. WHAT ARE ALL THE VERY GOOD BOOKS TO REFER FOR TNPSC GROUP-I EXAMS.??

Thank you so much .

K.Lokesh Babu

1st April 2012, 12:20 AM
nagendra vijayasree
Senior Member+

Default Re: What are the roles and responsibilities of a Deputy Collector in Tamil nadu? What are the preferable books for TNPSC Group-I exam?

TNPSC Group I Examination
Books and Trend of Questions
General Knowledge
Tamil Nadu State Board Text Books are the major source for TNPSC Exams. These books
cover approximately 80% of questions and considered as the major source. Hence, the aspirants
have to read and revise the State Board Books (Tamil Nadu) to get the desired results. Group I
aspirants may also depend on the Materials and Books which are prepared on the basis of State

General Science:

In TNPSC Exams, the general science questions are asked mainly from 6th Standard to
10th Standard State Board Text books and also from Physics, Chemistry, Biology Text Books of
11 and 12th Standard. Out of 100 Questions, at least 30‐35 are asked from general science. In
particular, about 8‐10 Questions are asked in Physics, 10‐12 Questions in Chemistry, 12‐14
questions in Biology. Few questions are also asked from the current developments in Science
and Technology
Indian History:

Almost 15 to 20 percent questions are asked from Indian History. The main source books
are the State Board text books from 6th standard to 10th standard (Social Science) and the
History text book of 11 and 12th standard. Importance is to be given to Indian National
Movement. In Indian History and Indian National Movement, the role played by Tamil Nadu is
given weightage in TNPSC Group I exams.

Indian Geography:

In Indian Geography, about 10 to 12 % of questions are asked. The main sources are 6 to
10th Standard Social Science books and 11th and 12th Geography text books. Aspirants are
stressed that they have to bestow better attention with regard to the Tamil Nadu Geography
i.e., location, rivers, mountains, industries, Dams, irrigation, crops, physical setting etc of Tamil
Nadu
Indian Constitution:

Nearly 10 to 12 percent questions are framed from Indian Polity and Constitution. For this
subject, in addition to the Civics books of Tamil Nadu State Board, any standard book on Indian
Constitution will take care.

Indian Economy:

With regard to Indian Economy, the main source is the 11th and 12th standard State
Board books. One has to follow the latest economic developments in India especially in Tamil
Nadu and for this one has to read standard newspapers like The Hindu for current economy. It is
advised to read India 2010, Economic Survey of India 2009‐2010 and the Tamil Nadu Year Book
2010. The latest budgets of Central and Tamil Nadu State Governments may be given a thorough
reading

Current Events:

5 to 10 questions are asked from current events. In this regard, The Hindu and Dinamani,
daily newspapers may serve as a major source so far as the latest current affairs are
concerned. One has to give priority for the last 18 months happenings around the world just
prior to the commencement of exams. If you are an aspirant to UPSC Civil Services also, the Civil
Services Chronicle and Competition Wizard serves the most for General Knowledge and Current
Affairs preparation.
The free online Resource Material provided in www.jeywin.com and free materials
provided by Saidai Manithaneyam will go a long way in helping the serious aspirants to come
out flying colours and successful in all competitive examinations.

Mathematics;

In Mathematics subject, problems/sums are asked from Class 7, 8, 9, 10 State Board Text
books. At least 5 to 10 questions are asked in this topic covering the mental ability. One may rely
on R.S.Aggarwal's Quantitative Aptitude book for mental ability, which covers all the major
aspects of mental ability.
Special Focus on Tamil Nadu
It is pertinent to note that almost 20 % questions will surely be asked from Tamil Nadu
Affairs. Hence, one has to concentrate on the policies, budgets, welfare schemes,
developmental activities, the Tamil Nadu Polity, Tamil Literature, Books and Authors, Current
Events, Awards, General Knowledge, Current Tamil Nadu Economy, Geography, History of TAMIL
NADU
Miscellaneous Subjects:

Recent trend shows that in addition to the above, questions are also framed form
Commerce, Statistics, Hindu Religion, Logic, Ethics, Sociology, Psychology and Philosophy. These
miscellaneous subjects are well covered in class 11 and 12 of Tamil Nadu Text books. One
cannot omit these areas because even a single mark will make the difference and become the
ultimate deciding factor for final selection.
Text Books published by Tamil Nadu Text Books Society
Science ‐ 6, 7, 8, 9, 10th standard
Physics ‐ 11, 12th standard
Chemistry ‐ 11, 12th standard
Biology ‐ 11, 12th standard
Social Science ‐ 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 standards
History & INM ‐ 11, 12th standard
Geography ‐ 11, 12th standard
Political Science ‐ 11, 12th standard
Mathematics ‐ 7, 8, 9, 10 standards
Logic ‐ 12th standard (Old)
Psychology ‐ 12th standard (Old)
Political Science ‐ 11, 12th standard
Indian Culture ‐ 12th standard (Old)
Ethics ‐ 11th standard.

Magazines and Guides:

Civil Services Chronicle
Competition Wizard
Tata McGraw Hill – Year Book 2010
Pierson ‐ Year Book 2010
Manorama ‐ Year Book 2010.

Newspapers/Magazines:

The Hindu, the English National News Paper
GK Times (Tamil Monthly Magazine)
Dinamani (Tamil Daily Newspaper)
Instead of studying 10 books once, let us study one book 10 times to understand the
concept and score more marks to come out successfully.
*****TNPSC Guide for GROUP I And GROUP II.
Fully prepared by experts who already passed in the IAS IPS,GROUP I And GROUP II Exams.
The preliminary functions and responsibilities of the TNPSC are:

making direct recruitment to State,
-subordinate and ministerial services
- and to conduct department examinations for Government Servants.
I wish you all the best
1st April 2012, 01:09 AM
nagendra vijayasree
Senior Member+

Default Re: What are the roles and responsibilities of a Deputy Collector in Tamil nadu? What are the preferable books for TNPSC Group-I exam?

IAS Exam.

Hi friend,
AGE Limit
1)21 years must be completed by the 1st AUGUST of that year,
2)GENERAL-30,OBC-33,SC/ST-35;EX-SERVICEMEN WILL GET 5 YEARS EXEMPTION

ATTEMPTS
OPEN-4,OBC-7,SC/ST-NO LIMIT
IAS stands for Indian Administrative Services.
The appointment in this service is done through Civil Services Examination which is
conducted by UPSC once a year
Eligibility for IAS Exam
You must be a citizen of India.
Final year Students also eligible on provisional basis.

The minimum educational qualification required for this examination is
Graduation in any stream from some Govt. of India recognized university.
There is no percentage restriction.

About Civil Services Examination

This exam is conducted every year by UPSC and the scheme of the exam
is as under;

The Civil Services Examination is comprised of two stages.

1. Preliminary Examination.
This contains questions from General studies(History, Geography, Politics, Economics
and social development, General Science), English, Mathematical Aptitude etc.

2. Main Exam and Interview
Those who qualify Preliminary exam are called for Main exam and
on the basis of marks in Main exam, candidates are called for
Interview..

The Main examination comprise of following papers
1. Essay type Indian Language Qualifying Paper (300 marks)
2. English Qualifying Paper (300 marks)
3. General Essay type paper (200 marks)
4. General Studies (Paper-I & II 300 marks each)
5. Optional subject-I(Paper-I & II 300 marks each)
6. Optional subject-II(Paper-I&II 300 marks each)

The subject for optional paper are as under.
You can choose any two of them. The choice is completely yours.

Agriculture
Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science
Anthropology
Botany
Chemistry
Civil Engineering
Commerce and Accountancy
Economics
Electrical Engineering
Geography
Geology
History
Law
Management
Mathematics
Mechanical Engineering
Medical Science
Philosophy
Physics
Political Science and International Relations
Psychology
Public Administration
Sociology
Statistics
Zoology

But following combinations of two optional subjects are not permissible
- Political Science & International Relations and Public Administration;
- Commerce & Accountancy and Management;
- Anthropology and Sociology;
- Mathematics and Statistics;
- Agriculture and Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science.
- Management and Public Administration;
- Any two engineering subjects
- Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science and Medical Science.

HOW TO APPLY:
=> Candidates may apply Online by using the website http://www.upsconline.nic.in

Detailed instructions for filling up online applications are available on the above mentioned website.

Good luck
29th July 2012, 09:12 PM
Mrs_Praveen_Gola
Senior Member+++++

Deputy collector plays a major role to become an IAS officer with in the 7 or 8 years.

Deputy collector is a very powerful officer with revenue department in a state in India. Deputy collect ors examination is the biggest recruitment examination conducted my Kerala Public Service Commission.

The Deputy Collector plays a vital and dynamic role in the administration of a district in a state. He is endowed with great power and responsibilities.

Responsibilities of a deputy Collector is as under-

1. As He works under the ADM (Additional District Magistrate) so He must follow the rules & regulations made by them as He is the next one to grab that post.

2. To become a RDO (Revenue Divisional Officer) He must sincere to the task assigned to Him.

3. Normally a person selected as Deputy Collector will be promoted to the IAS within 7 to 8 years. Then he will be appointed as District Collector.So these & years are the most crucial stage for Him to prove Himself.

You can refer the following books for IAS exam as under-

History- NCERT books of class XI and XII, Freedom Struggle (published by National Book Trust)
Geography- Class XII books of Geography (NCERT), a good atlas.
Indian Polity- Introduction to the Indian Constitution.
Indian Economy- NCERT and other books on Evolution of the Indian Economy.
General Science- NCERT books on science, a science magazine or newspaper supplements on science.
Current Events- A national newspaper, The Competition Master, newsmagazines.
General Mental Ability- Do the Quantitative Aptitude published in The Competition Master, past test papers.
30th August 2012, 10:55 PM
Unregistered

hello sir,
TNPSC Group-1 exam conducted in which language sir?
18th June 2013, 12:07 AM
Unregistered

what is the role of deputy collector, and his relation beetwin ias
19th October 2013, 02:25 AM
Unregistered

What will be the take home salary for the group1 and group2 services
21st October 2013, 08:51 PM
Unregistered

is it kerala pschool conduct the deputy collector exam in every year and howmany vacancies in every. year?
4th December 2015, 09:50 AM
Unregistered

respected tspsc team ,
sir ,actually i studied in telugu medium from 6th to intermediate .so now can i prepare for group1 exam in telugu medium .please to my mail:[email protected]
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?