25th February 2011, 12:15 AM
om_leads

Kindly answer the following queries.

respected sir / ma'am,
i m student of b.tech 1st year, i am serious towards pursuing MBA, i want to know that -
QUES 1 :- to get admission in xlri how much should i score in xat,and in graduation ? till now i m 6 pointer
QUES 2 :-if i score good in xat but less in graduation does this will create problem to me in getting admitted in xlri?

QUES 4 :-if i give MAT will i'l be eligible to get admission in iim's?

QUES 5 :-which is more tougher CAT or MAT? the reason of asking this question is that i do not want to drop after 4th year to prepare for CAT, XAT, MAT etc.

QUES 6 :-in summer vacation can i join T.I.M.E institute or the allow only regular classes only, where this institute and career launcher is situated ?

QUES 7:-if i want to prepare my self as i have 4 years, so what should be my strategy , time management & what materials should i collect to crack CAT,XAT,MAT?

25th February 2011, 07:16 AM
imira
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Kindly answer the following queries.

Since you are in the 1st year of graduation you can start preparing in the areas of General Knowledge. No coaching center will take you in so soon. The earliest you can join is in the 3rd year for regular coaching. You can purchase the correspondence material now if you want. But do make it a point to purchase the latest exam papers when you reach the final year. If you wish to join the best institute having a first class throughout will be good. Also IIM's consider only the CAT score.
25th February 2011, 07:19 PM
khanddn
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by om_leads View Post
respected sir / ma'am,
i m student of b.tech 1st year, i am serious towards pursuing MBA, i want to know that -
QUES 1 :- to get admission in xlri how much should i score in xat,and in graduation ? till now i m 6 pointer
QUES 2 :-if i score good in xat but less in graduation does this will create problem to me in getting admitted in xlri?

QUES 4 :-if i give MAT will i'l be eligible to get admission in iim's?

QUES 5 :-which is more tougher CAT or MAT? the reason of asking this question is that i do not want to drop after 4th year to prepare for CAT, XAT, MAT etc.

QUES 6 :-in summer vacation can i join T.I.M.E institute or the allow only regular classes only, where this institute and career launcher is situated ?

QUES 7:-if i want to prepare my self as i have 4 years, so what should be my strategy , time management & what materials should i collect to crack CAT,XAT,MAT?
Answer to your query

Ans:-1 To get admission in XLRI you should a high percentile depending upon the no of the students appearance.approximately (95+) .In graduation there is no limit for higher marks but you should have at least 60%.

Ans2:-

No.but you have to clear the GD followed by Interview.

Ans3:-
On the basis of MAT score you are not eligible to get admission in IIMs.for IIMs you have to crack CAT with very high percentile.

Ans:-4

Both the entrance has their own criteria and importance but it is totally depends up on you .As far As cat is concern it is little tougher then mat.

Ans:-5

Better to join regular classes because you will be regular touch with the syllabus and have enough time to prepare better.As you did not mention you city but these institute (T.I.M.E & Career launcher) will be available almost all the major cities.

Ans:-6

First of all you have to understand syllabus and exam pattern for both the entrance and then concentrate on the basic concepts.
improve you mathematical skills and remember all the basic formulla of Algebra,Trigonometry,Geometry etc.
solve five to six years previous papers of both the entrance and check you speed and accuracy.
and last thing is time management and consistent study of all the papers equally.

**khanddn**
25th February 2011, 07:31 PM
anncie10

Hi ,

Well congrats for having a long term plan about your career. To answer your queries,

1. In case you want to get into XLRI , you shout write XAT exam and you should be able to score above 95 percentile to get admitted in XLRI. Though your graduation marks of 6 pointers is more than enough to get you an admission i suggest that you put in hard work and get upto 8 pointers. This will help you have an competitive edge.

2. I guess i have answered this in the first question only.

3. About MAT or CAT , CAT is more tough than MAT. Only with CAT you can enter IIM. You should be really very very very competitive in solving aptitude to get yourself a high score,

4. About coaching yes you can join TIME when you are in your 3 rd year of engineering. But before that you can refer R.S Agrawal books on aptitude, and reasoning to get a hang of how your questions will come for your exams .
26th February 2011, 01:26 AM
kanikabansal22aug

Hello
26th February 2011, 01:49 AM
kanikabansal22aug

Hello

Sorry,for the above answer.It was due to mistake.
Well,it totally depends on paper toughness level to know about the cut-off.For now i can just say that xat is really tough and you need to work hard to crack XLRI.If once you clear written,then getting through GD n PI really meant that you are very very strong in your communication skills.

Cat is quite tough then MAT.

IIM's only accept cat scores.

Ya,sure you can join institutes like TIMES,IMS,PT,Career Launcher any time.The study material they will provide you will be enough to get through at least CAT.Well,your self preparation and dedication is must to crack any exam.

If you want to prepare yourself then of course you can do.Just believe yourself.
I am suggesting you some tips for that:

1.Just bring some book for the aptitude preparation.Rather i would suggest that try to manage study material from some coaching institute and solve the papers they provide on your own.Also try to solve last year papers.

2.To improve english,rather then preparation from study material,be in a habit to read newapaper daily.Its A very very good habit.This will improve your english and your vocabulary.You can download Word-Web,its a dictionary.

Be in a habit to read good novels,this will improve your reading speed.And try to listen english news channels and english movies.Because until or unless,you will not get some input like reading and listening good english,how can you give good output,i mean how can you speak n write good english.

Moreover,try to speak in front of mirror in english daily for some time on any topic you want,so that you can judge yourself where you are doing mistakes.

This will really boost up your confidence level.

3.Try to give some time daily for all that.You will surely get success.

All the very best.
26th February 2011, 10:15 PM
om_leads

respected ma'am,
thanks for your advice , it has give me a direction.
QUES 1:- for GK preparation can u please tell name of books , or some way to prepare it?
27th February 2011, 02:20 AM
wagle
Senior Member+

HIIIIIIIIIIIIII.

1.In case you want to get into XLRI , you shout write XAT exam and you should be able to score above 95 percentile to get admitted in XLRI. Though your graduation marks of 6 pointers is more than enough to get you an admission i suggest that you put in hard work and get upto 8 pointers. This will help you have an competitive edge.

2.To improve english,rather then preparation from study material,be in a habit to read newapaper daily.Its A very very good habit.This will improve your english and your vocabulary.You can download Word-Web,its a dictionary.

3.About MAT or CAT , CAT is more tough than MAT. Only with CAT you can enter IIM. You should be really very very very competitive in solving aptitude to get yourself a high score,

4.Both the entrance has their own criteria and importance but it is totally depends up on you .As far As cat is concern it is little tougher then mat.

5.Better to join regular classes because you will be regular touch with the syllabus and have enough time to prepare better.As you did not mention you city but these institute (T.I.M.E & Career launcher) will be available almost all the major cities.
1st March 2011, 02:21 AM
om_leads

respected sir /ma'am,
thank u for ur simply graceful advice & guidance
Quote:
Originally Posted by anncie10 View Post
Hi ,

Well congrats for having a long term plan about your career. To answer your queries,

1. In case you want to get into XLRI , you shout write XAT exam and you should be able to score above 95 percentile to get admitted in XLRI. Though your graduation marks of 6 pointers is more than enough to get you an admission i suggest that you put in hard work and get upto 8 pointers. This will help you have an competitive edge.

2. I guess i have answered this in the first question only.

3. About MAT or CAT , CAT is more tough than MAT. Only with CAT you can enter IIM. You should be really very very very competitive in solving aptitude to get yourself a high score,

4. About coaching yes you can join TIME when you are in your 3 rd year of engineering. But before that you can refer R.S Agrawal books on aptitude, and reasoning to get a hang of how your questions will come for your exams .
6th March 2011, 05:37 PM
om_leads

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanikabansal22aug View Post
Hello

Sorry,for the above answer.It was due to mistake.
Well,it totally depends on paper toughness level to know about the cut-off.For now i can just say that xat is really tough and you need to work hard to crack XLRI.If once you clear written,then getting through GD n PI really meant that you are very very strong in your communication skills.

Cat is quite tough then MAT.

IIM's only accept cat scores.

Ya,sure you can join institutes like TIMES,IMS,PT,Career Launcher any time.The study material they will provide you will be enough to get through at least CAT.Well,your self preparation and dedication is must to crack any exam.

If you want to prepare yourself then of course you can do.Just believe yourself.
I am suggesting you some tips for that:

1.Just bring some book for the aptitude preparation.Rather i would suggest that try to manage study material from some coaching institute and solve the papers they provide on your own.Also try to solve last year papers.

Be in a habit to read good novels,this will improve your reading speed.And try to listen english news channels and english movies.Because until or unless,you will not get some input like reading and listening good english,how can you give good output,i mean how can you speak n write good english.

Moreover,try to speak in front of mirror in english daily for some time on any topic you want,so that you can judge yourself where you are doing mistakes.

This will really boost up your confidence level.

3.Try to give some time daily for all that.You will surely get success.

All the very best.
ma'am i m really thankfull to u as ur words & advice seems to be very motivating.
QUES:-1
plzz write the name of books that will help in my preparation as i have to do self study as i do not want to drop a year after completing my 4th yr.
and also what r the contents in maths of cat syllabus also high light the important topics as it is really important for me to opt a well planned strategy ass it is not an easy job to do b.tech (right now in 1st year) & simultaneously preparing cat.
urs sincerely
om_leads
MBA aspirant
22nd March 2011, 08:17 PM
Unregistered

What is the importance of class 12 marks for admission in xlri
19th June 2011, 08:16 PM
Unregistered

sir,i have a very poor acedemic record,i scored 55 percent in 10th and 12th and i have a 5 years gap because i didnt able to complete my engineering so im pursuing bba from pune university.will this effect my mba admissions in top premier b schools like iim,xlri,syboisis,etc?
18th June 2013, 12:26 AM
amit89itbhu
Senior Member+++

Hi

Earlier most MBA colleges used to take candidates with graduation marks only.
Then due to increasing competition, they started taking candidates with entrance exam.
Now since the competition has increased manyfolds, only entrance exam marks are not sufficient to get you admission in any premiere B school

Many good MBA colleges, keep Entrance exam score as elimentary barrier.
For exam IIMs keep CAT score as entry barrier, all those who score 98 and above percentile are given call for GD and PI

Final admission is based on your
10th marks
12th marks
graduation marks
work ex
Entrance exam Score
GD
PI
Extra curricular

Since you are just in first year, you have scope to improve your CGPA.
Work hard and try to pull it up to 8.

With increasing competition, there is large pool of very good qualified candidates. So with gap and low marks, you dont have much chance. But still I would advice you to try as anything may happen. If not IIMs and XLRI you will get other b.school based on same entrance score.

All the best
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?