2nd June 2010, 07:27 PM
vedadhage

Should I take a drop after 12th if I didn't perform well in engineering entrance exams this year?

I didn't fare well at iitjee,aieee. i'm thinking of taking a drop and applying for sat,jee,aieee.but i'm doubtful if it's a good decision.Or should i admit in local colleges.how much does it affect in the long run?

Related Questions:
  1. When is the entrance test for distance course? If there is no entrance test then which are the colleges that consider direct admissions?
  2. Should I drop after 12th if I didn't fare well in the engineering entrance exams or should I join some college and continue my preparations there?
  3. Any problem in placements for students who drop one year after 12th for entrance exams preparation?
  4. Should I take admission in BSc or drop a year to prepare for entrance exams next year?
  5. Eligibility to appear in TCS On-Campus Interview for a candidate with academic gaps?
  6. Should I take a drop year after 12th or not? -- [Most Discussed]
  7. How to do MS in Aerospace Engineering from USA? List of entrance exam and scholarship for it? -- [New]
  8. How to get admission in St Xaviers after scoring 90%?
  9. Should I drop a year for engineering preparation of join some BSc college?
  10. How can I get admission for 2016 session in IIT?
  11. If I passed GATE in PRE FINAL year than what to do
  12. Can I get good rank in Competitive Exams without taking any Coaching being a candidate of 12th Class?
  13. Can I give AIIMS exam next year while in 1st year of MBBS? Can I appear in entrance exam based on permissible number of attempts?
  14. Will a 1 year drop in engineering affect my career?
  15. Should I drop a year to prepare for Engineering Diploma Entrance Exam if completed 10th CBSE?
  16. Is there any age restriction for giving improvement exams? Procedure for enrollment?
  17. Does preparing for JEE Main and Advanced affect my Board percentage? Can I get enough time to prepare along with Board preparation? Should I join coaching classes?
  18. What are the exams I should appear to be eligible for doing Engineering in Canada?
2nd June 2010, 09:44 PM
Akshara V

Default Re: Should I take a drop after 12th if I didn't perform well in engineering entrance exams this year?

if you are sure that you can much better than this year then you can spend an year for improving your rank........ go for it if you want to join engg in good colleges
2nd June 2010, 11:57 PM
help100%

Default Re: Should I take a drop after 12th if I didn't perform well in engineering entrance exams this year?

Look dear, i think right now its you to decide whether to opt for the next time or right now,because i think you will not become enough old if you drop one year.So, i would better suggest try for the next year if this year is your first appearance to the entrance exam or if this time is the second appearance to the entrance exam then don't take a chance take admission in any of the local or any good college through management quota.Here is a list of top 50 private colleges who take though management quota, better you call them directly and make a note what are the proceeding to take admission through management quota.The name of the colleges are as follows

Rank Institute Name
1 BITS
2 BIT Mesra
3 PSG College of Technology
4 Thapar Inst. of Engineering & Technology
5 Dhirubhai Ambani Inst. of Infocom. Tech
6 Manipal Institute of Technology
7 Vellore Institute of Technology
8 VJTI
9 SSN College of Engineering
10 RV College of Engineering
11 PES Institute of Technology
12 Sardar Patel College of Engineering
13 Maharashtra Institute of Technology
14 SJ College of Engineering
15 SASTRA University
16 Chaitanya Bharathi Institute of Technology
17 Nirma Institute of Technology
18 BMS College of Engineering
19 SRM Institute of Science and Technology
20 Bangalore Institute of Technology
21 Sathyabhama Engineering College
22 Gitam
23 National Institute of Engineering
24 The ICFAI Inst. of Science and Technology
25 Mepco Schlenk Engineering College
26 Amrita Institute of Technology & Science
27 Shri Ramdeo Baba KN Engineering College
28 Karunya Institute of Technology
29 Kongu Engineering College, Perundurai
30 Sreenidhi Inst. of Science & Technology
31 SDM College of Engineering
32 Mufkham Jah Engineering College
33 MS Ramaiah Institute of Technology
34 Vasavi College of Engineering
35 Jaypee University of Information Tech
36 RVR & JC College Of Engineering
37 Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology
38 KL College of Engineering
39 Babu Banarasi Das
40 Institute of Technology & Management
41 Hindustan Inst. of Engineering Technology
42 Siddhartha Engineering College
43 Sona College of Technology
44 Galgotia
45 VIT
46 Yeshwantrao Chavan College of Engg
47 Sree Chitra Thirunal College of Engineering
48 Kakatiya Institute of Technology & Science
49 KLE Society’s College of Engineering
50 JSS Academy of Technical Education

So, I think from the above mentioned college you can make a choice according to your liking or which colleges criteria suits you.
For any further queries you are free to ask here.

Best of Luck,
help100%
3rd June 2010, 01:04 PM
nikita_gigi

i would advise you think over your decision.drop only if u r sure that next year you will score better then this year...................
and just dont be disapointed
there will sure be something for you
3rd June 2010, 02:54 PM
Ankit kumar dhanker

In my opinion d'nt waste your time because 1 year is long period take admission in any college according to your rank and work hard
best of luck
3rd June 2010, 04:59 PM
indro91

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedadhage View Post
I didn't fare well at iitjee,aieee. i'm thinking of taking a drop and applying for sat,jee,aieee.but i'm doubtful if it's a good decision.Or should i admit in local colleges.how much does it affect in the long run?
dropping a year shud always b avoided..get into a gud private college n hv ur mtech from IIT or other gud colleges..
3rd June 2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
if u are confident to get the seat in next exam then u can take the risk of dropping this year else continue ur education by joining in any collage anf perform well.........
all the best...
4th June 2010, 11:13 PM
Pathfinder
Senior Member++++

See according to my experience of a drop year its very much worse than it looks like. You will face lots of stress in that one year and your parents too. You will be wasting your 1 year if you dont get into the exam for which you dropped. But if you clear IIT JEE,aieee then its worth wasting a year.

So think about it. Its tough but not that tough. You just need to keep your mind cool and should try not to repeat the mistakes commited before

best of luck. take your decision
5th June 2010, 04:12 PM
lonelyryan

dear freind i will advice you to not to drop one year........
last year in 2009 i had qalified iit with 9000 rank ........
i thought to drop a year and prepared from fiitjee........but unfortunately i didnt cracked iit or any other engineering exam this time................
so please tgake admission this time only..............for any assistance you can message me : 09308022362
5th June 2010, 05:18 PM
vaishali14feb

Quote:
Dear its a very tough decision.See, only we know our caliber.If you think that you can do better then only make a drop and also a dropper has much more burden on his mind while giving the exam rather than a fresher and dear at the time of placements a company also prefers freshers before droppers.Think about it .Analyse youself and then take some decision.
ALL THE BEST
12th July 2010, 02:53 AM
subhasish
Senior Member++

Yes if you are really interested in engineering and you have not get the chance this year you can prepare for one more year .

But remember on thing you must crack it this next time .otherwise go for something else.

Do not waste years in the preparation of wwengineering,otherwise you will face problem during the campusing in the college. All the best for the next year.
19th July 2010, 11:25 AM
faiyaz
Senior Member++++

Quote:
Well, if you think that you can deliver your best after droping a year for preparetion then go for.

Otherwise if you are getting any good Institute other IIT's then opting for a year drop is not a good decision.

Besides these if you also have good percentage in your +2 then only take a drop, because as HRD Ministry is planing to introduce 80-85% as the cutoff for IITJEE from 2011 or 2012, so definitely it will hinder your decision.

I will advice you not to listen to anyone, just follow what do you want to do. But think before acting.

Remember, Time Doesn't wait for anyone take any decison only after having a smart thinking.

Regards
~Faiyaz~
19th July 2010, 04:06 PM
Kumar Mayank

Quote:
No doubt,the salary package you would get through iit's and nit's would be far better than that through suburban ones.If your soul permits you should drop without any hesitation but that has an element of risk involved and the final decision is yours.
All the best.
19th July 2010, 05:50 PM
trupti_9227

hello,
have you tried for any colleges?
taking a drop needs lots of guts my friend.so, if you think you want to go for it,then you should but make your mind focussed that this time you would be cracking each & every exam you give & also with an excellent score.
see you can also opt for other courses.our country produces so many engineers each year, she won't mind if a person changes its mind.mind you other fields also offer equal opportunity.

best of luck for bright future!
19th July 2010, 06:23 PM
sharad3010

i think so dropping a year is a big decision as u have to study once again wat u hav already studid if u cant tolerate it then its pricking u every day
and yes there are examples who hav performed well after dropping a n year so its upto u to decide that will u be able to study and face the daily torture
if yes then plzz go ahead
i wish u good luck
19th July 2010, 10:31 PM
Somesh Goenka
Senior Member+++

Hello,

I have already answered such questions in the past, and would to do the same for you too.
Look dropping a year is becoming a trend these days. Most students drop a year depending on the advice of their friends whereas this is not a game. It is career decision. One silly mistake at this point will ruin your career forever.
As you said you did not fair well in the aieee and iitjee exam. What was the reason for it?
Was it that you did not study with sincerity or was there some other reasons?
If the answer is lack of sincerity, then let me inform you, if you were not sincere now, then there is a thin possibility of you being sincere this time too.
Otherwise if this is not so you can give many lame excuses.
What i would suggest is to take admission in some reputed college without wasting much time. Most companies dont consider people who have dropped a year.
But however, if you are determined to work hard and would be sincere so as to get into IIT or NIT, then dropping a year would be good decision. Else you would create troubles for yourself and be a big burden to your parents.

Rest, the decision is yours.
Good Luck!
20th July 2010, 12:49 AM
agentroy
Senior Member+

hi
it is really a good decision to take the drop if you have not prepared well in the entrance exam,but i will suggest you to go for the coaching,there are many of the coaching institute like akash fitjee
career point and many more
20th July 2010, 06:50 PM
Singh Anurag Atul kumar

Dear Friend.I just want to tell u that if you think that you can perform your best after droping a year for preparetion then only go for.You just need to keep your mind cool and don't repeat the mistakes commitedbefore. Otherwise if you are getting any good Institute other IIT's then opting for a year drop is not a good decision.
I want to tell u a very important thing that.............
"Time Doesn't wait for anyone"

BEST OF LUCK......
15th October 2010, 07:38 PM
mseetharamster

You can drop and take entrances nest year.
IIT-JEE 2006 topper did so and achieved all India first rank.
It will be a wise decision go for it.
15th October 2010, 11:21 PM
vik111

Dear,

See according to my experience of a drop year its very much worse than it looks like. You will face lots of stress in that one year and your parents too. You will be wasting your 1 year if you dont get into the exam for which you dropped. But if you clear IIT JEE,aieee then its worth wasting a year.

best of luck
16th October 2010, 12:28 AM
prashantmeghalia
Senior Member++

Quote:
dear friend,
if you really want to study from the most respected colleges of our country and want to work hard to get admission, then only you must drop one year for the preparation. Otherwise you must take admission in any local college. They are also providing the same degree.
16th October 2010, 01:45 AM
nikhilmi
Senior Member++++

Many students are doing the same,they spend the year preparing.Thats not at all a bad idea provided you are dedicated towards your goal.Its not a big deal,you can of course fulfill your aim by getting top rank in the entrance tests. Just don let your time go away simply,rembr this decision might be a turning point in your life.good luck.
16th October 2010, 10:31 AM
poplu13
Senior Member+

yes you can take a drop and give a shot at the IIT JEE or other entrance exams which will help you in gettting admissions in respectable colleges across india..remeber...one year of droping will not at all affect your earning money...but..remeber to utilise each and every second of this one year..in a good and proper way..in the right path...

Good luck !!
16th October 2010, 12:01 PM

if u are dam sure that this year u can really crack iit, aieee and you will get top colleges then only you go for it otherwise you dont drop if you are getting somewhat good colleges at present you join that bcoz the the thing matters is that hard work and knowledge. if you are placed in one college and you are giving ther good for your future u will be placed in good company with good salary and you want to do M.tech further you can do. it doesnt mean that you couldnt crack iit you dont have bright future , you have if you are continuous in your study so join the college which you are getting.
16th October 2010, 02:13 PM
nillu
Senior Member+

Yes, it would be best for for you to drop and prepare well for the next attempt.
Because doing BTech from good college matters a lot.
So you must prepare yourself well this time for the next coming exam and dropping out a year will not cost you too if you can get good collge.
So concentrate on your studies leaving aside all other issues
16th October 2010, 02:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseetharamster View Post
You can drop and take entrances nest year.
IIT-JEE 2006 topper did so and achieved all India first rank.
It will be a wise decision go for it.
see boy one thing you remember in life its easy to drop anything,but that much not easy to gain back. may be you have not performed in this test but dont get upset everyone has their own time if you work hard nothing is difficult nor it may be not easier than first attempt,so think bofore talking decession
Have a bright future
16th October 2010, 06:42 PM
tuhinroy

I think it is a tough decision. If you think you will do good in the next year entrance exams then you can drop 1 year without any hesitation. Along this i want to mention another important point here. If you have enough time , strength, stamina & knack to learning, you can join to any local colleges nearby to your home (i.e. it takes very little time to reach to the colleges from your home). At the same time you must practise yourself for all types of competetive exams. And also you must sit for all the competetive exams conducted in India. Though this process requires a enough stamina, i think this process is the best process as in this case, at the end of the year if you think that the competetive exam performation is not good then there will be no wastage of year as because at the same time you are going to colleges.
16th October 2010, 07:28 PM
yogananda143

hey dont waste one valuable year of ur life.join in any one of the engineering college with ur rank.perform well in the engineering,u can surely will be success in ur life
17th October 2010, 11:27 AM
mettalrose

Dear vedhadage,

Taking a drop year or a gap year can be a good decision to let off some steam and prepare for what you wish for with cool and relaxed mind. However it is usually not advisable to waste an year of one's life for this. The problem that arises is that people get too pressurized to succeed during that gap year and end up ruining it.

So you need to analyze whether you can -

1) PRESSURE - Cope up with the pressure and tensions that will be accumulated during your drop year.

2SKILL - Do you really think that you will be able to succeed after another year's preparation and will it be worth it? that is the real question that you need to ask yourself.

A suggestion that i would like to give is that you join whatever engg college that you are getting admission in and prepare for the entrances next year side by side as most of the first year b.tech syllabus is somewhat similar to that of the entrance exams. This way you will be able to prepare better, and if god forbid , you arent able to clear the entrances next year, you can still carry on with the second year of b.tech at this college.

I hope this helped,
sincerely,
mettalrose
17th October 2010, 05:47 PM
rahul_kumar066

no, dont waste one valuable year of ur life. join in any of the engineering college with ur rank perform well in the engineering . u can surely will be success in ur life
17th October 2010, 11:40 PM
Sachin Narayan

Hi,
I would lyk to say that dropping an year is not a wise decision as u'll jst be extending ur studies. Rather u jst prepare for JEE AIEEE, in the same year without dropping. If ur agile then u'll definitely crack it, if not there's lot opportunity in engineering so dont drop jst be in the motion
thank u
11th November 2010, 04:14 PM
megha ram singh

Thumbs up Re: Should I take a drop after 12th if I didn't perform well in engineering entrance exams this year?

I think you shuold take admission in any college and next year again you should try for IIT or AIEEE. Or if you want to drop a year then you should join a caoching institute.
12th November 2010, 01:33 PM
priyanka_swengg
Senior Member+++++

Thumbs up Re: Should I take a drop after 12th if I didn't perform well in engineering entrance exams this year?

Quote:
Hiiiiiiiiii vedadhage
I know this is a tough decision which you have to make by your own as this will decide your left of LIFE.
There are two ways
one if you didn't get a good college and joins after b.tech you have to wait and struggle a lot to achieve that and
another if you didn't join your one year will be waste so think
and make a clever DECISION
Regards
~~
8th June 2011, 06:10 PM
Unregistered

i score 25300<GN> rank in aieee i want to get good stream in delhi or ncr i did lot of hard work this year please tell me can i drop a year or not i am so confuse
9th June 2011, 12:05 PM
Unregistered

should i take drop if i have not cracked jee this year
11th June 2011, 05:47 PM
Unregistered

will dropping a year after passing 12 be good for me as i have not performed well in engineering entrance exams this year
18th June 2011, 12:09 AM
Unregistered

hello i m mohit and my rpet rank is 15000 in gen should i drop a year
20th June 2011, 09:05 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
If your rank is not good and you can do hard work for next one year. you should know that you have to complete 2 year course in 1 year and that will be very hard.
8th July 2011, 09:57 PM
Unregistered

my rank in uptu is around 60,000.....should i drop a year and prepare for d exams
3rd November 2011, 02:19 PM
Unregistered

is there any problem to drop one year
29th January 2012, 02:22 AM
Unregistered

hello sir,
i m aashish gupta from indore . i want to say that i m in 3 rd yr of B.E. in civil engg. from rgtu bhopal .but i have 2 year drop after my 12 th class. now i want to do mba after engg. completion . am i eligible for entrance exam for mba. which exams can i give in final year of engg.
6th June 2013, 03:29 PM
Unregistered

i am one yr dropper after 12 (bio) but i couldnot qualify my neet should again go for drop as my 12 % is only 62?
8th June 2014, 11:08 AM
Unregistered

sir, i m a student who presently passed out 12th with 91% marks in 12th boards and 98 marks in jee mains(without much of its preparation). and i want to do chemical engineering in future... i m very much confused whether i should take drop or continue with some government college i m getting.. sir, plz suggest sumthing, its quite urgent..as many of the coaching institutes have started their batches.??
22nd May 2015, 03:28 AM
Unregistered

Will dropping a year create problems for me in future during campus recruitment??
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?