11th August 2016, 01:14 AM
Unregistered

When and how do I start preparing for CAT 2017? Recommended books especially for Verbal section?

I am doing cs engineering(3rd year). I would like to appear for the CAT 2017 exam and get into IIMs. When and how do I start preparing? I am extremely good with Maths, but the verbal section kind of intimidates me. What books are recommended for preparation?

11th August 2016, 11:15 AM
Shaenma
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: When and how do I start preparing for CAT 2017? Recommended books especially for Verbal section?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am doing cs engineering(3rd year). I would like to appear for the CAT 2017 exam and get into IIMs. When and how do I start preparing? I am extremely good with Maths, but the verbal section kind of intimidates me. What books are recommended for preparation?
Tips to prepare CAT:-
  • Firstly, what you need to know is that there is no shortcut to success. So practice is the key to success here. There will be cut-throat competition and you need to be well-equipped to beat that.
  • Without getting worked up first of all try to get the hang of the syllabus and exam pattern. Then find out which are the sections according to you which needs special attention. Basically work out in your mind the areas which are your strengths and the areas which are your weaknesses.
  • We often have this habit of giving more importance to the areas of interest and thus ignore the ones which seems difficult at hindsight. This will backfire you at the end. In these kind of exams you can't afford to be so choosy and selective. Even if some areas seems more time consuming, don't give up. Try to get to the root of it and things will become more easier.
  • Every day try to stick to a routine and spread out your time evenly. Keep some time for revision as well. If possible every week sit with a model test paper and try to finish that within a limited time. This will help you to keep a check on your progress rate.
  • If need be you can also take help from professionals who have been there and done it all. This can be any friend of yours or relatives who gave CAT earlier or some coaching institutes. Coaching institutes will be able to provide you with study materials which will prove to be beneficial in the long run.
Top Books for Verbal Reasoning:-

-How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for the CAT Common Admission by Arun Sharma Publisher: TMH
-The Pearson Guide To Verbal Ability And Logical Reasoning For The CAT by Nishit K. Sinha Publisher: Pearson
-A Modern Approach To Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning Revised Edition by R. S. Aggarwal Publisher : S. Chand Price
-Trishna's Verbal Ability And Logical Reasoning For The CAT And Other MBA Examinations by TIME Publisher: Pearson
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?