6th September 2012, 10:40 AM
Unregistered

Can I do MS course after completion of B.Tech course with 57% of marks?

i had secured 57% in b.tech.so can i do M.S.
Is b.tech percentage is linked with M.S

15th January 2016, 11:55 PM
ranjeet250490
Senior Member++++

Arrow Re: Can I do MS course after completion of B.Tech course with 57% of marks?

MS stands for Masters of Science and if you wish to take up further technical studies then you can also look for the M.Tech program which is more widely known in India. It is equivalent to MS but is more recognized in the job market in India whereas MS is more known in places like US and Europe.

Now, typically speaking when you say that you want to do MS, it means that you are already a person that has a graduation degree completed. Since your B.Tech is less than 60% marks, there maybe a few cases wherein you face problems getting admission in the top M.Tech colleges.

Please note that in order to take up M.Tech in any of the top colleges in India which include the IITs and NITs, please fill up for the GATE Exam which is Graduate Aptitude Test of Engineering and is conducted by the IITs to test candidates on their B.Tech knowledge. There is no age limit for taking this exam up however, one must be a B.Tech or appeared in final year exam to take this up.

Moreover, even if you have less than 60% then you may not become eligible for some of the colleges which has strict criteria for the B.Tech percentage to be more than 60% but there are other colleges which accept students with lower percentages too. Thus, it should not be much of a problem. You can apply for the exam.

Also if you wish to do MS from outside India then you have to sit for the GRE Exam. Its a specific exam that has been designed to test technical knowledge of candidates so that they can be judged and checked for eligibility as per foreign college criteria.

One thing to note here would be that there are many private colleges in India that have come up in recent days with good quality education and they do not require 60% in B.Tech for admission to M.Tech programs. Thus, kindly seek admission in those courses and colleges without much of fuss.

Also since you have 57% which is quite close to the 60% marks, some colleges may relax this a bit for you. If you have any sort of quota in these entrances then please look to make full use of them. It becomes really possible to get admission in good colleges then.

Do you have any question? or have anything to say?