16th April 2010, 10:47 PM
raviteja936

Changing from Engineering to Medicine?

Hi
I am a student of Electrical Engg at IIT Kharagpur.
I am interested in pursuing medicine after my graduation,but I haven't done biology at plus2 level.
Please let me know what should I do. Can I do XII class again with BPC from open school(NIOS),or other boards and take PMT.
Please let me know at the earliest.
Thank you

17th April 2010, 07:08 AM
khusi

Default Re: Changing from Engineering to Medicine?

yes you are right,you have to do 12th again and write pmt for doing medicine,
but let me tell you you are in iit there is no need for going to medicine because you are already going to have great career,there is no need for you to try such things
17th April 2010, 07:17 AM
satyavani
Senior Member++

hi,
i think its not an such an great idea Wat you are trying ,
there are many people who do not have Wat they want ,you still are very lucky as you are studying in iit,i dont see any need for you to do inter again and go for medicine ,but if you have made your mind then go for it
all the best
17th April 2010, 05:32 PM
vike
Senior Member+++++

Dear friend
I think you are currently doing one the best course from one of the best or perhaps the institution of India. I am surprised to know that after clearing JEE and taking admission in IIT kgp your mind has been changed now.
Anyways, if you are interested in going for medical science then you need to have a degree of 12th board in bio stream. But there is an alternate also. You can take admission in Biotechnology which is one of the best course of this stream and that can be done even after doing 12th in maths stream.
After Btech or BSc in biotechnology you can go for higher studies in India or abroad. That would fulfill your interest and also it would be bright career.

I would like to advice you again that you are studying in the best engg institution, before taking any final decision about changing your stream you must think as much times as you can.

Best of Luck
Thank You.
17th April 2010, 08:33 PM
amarjit
Senior Member++++

dear,
it seems practically impossible going for medicals after engineering........

it is very true that you can go for 12th again with biology from any open schools ........but when you apply for the competitive exams for medical exams you will be shortlisted on the basis of age limit .........

the minimum age limit for pmt is 17yrs and maximum age limit for it is 25...... SC/ST/OBC students get relaxation of 5 years on upper age limit.
so if you are a sc or st candidate then you get a concession for age limit ........

now when you will complete your b.tech form iit , at that time you will be probably 21-22yrs .......and then you will go for 12th again from open school ......which will take another 1yr ans since pmt includes both the portion of 11th and 12th biology along with other subjects ....it might take another one year for the preparation........

and so it will be difficult for you to crack the exam in the first and last attempt......
but then too i will advise you that if you are very serious about it then consult a consultant regarding this .......

best of luck
17th April 2010, 08:57 PM
raviteja936

thanks for the reply amarjit,what you said is a valid point.
but i think i can do open schooling parallel to my btech,i have 2 more years at iit.
also there is no age limit for eamcet(i am from andhra pradesh).so by 22 i can take a pmt and i hope i am good at physics and chemistry,only subject to learn is biology(for which i can spare time,many of my friends preparing for civils and other tougher exams when compared to pmt)
anyways thankyou for your reply.hoping for more suggestions in this regard.
18th April 2010, 08:48 AM
rahul k
Senior Member+++++

dear friend

its not good decision to do 12th again with biology,
you are lucky students, who are doing engineering
from IIT, just concentrate in your engineering, your
career and future will be bright after completing
this course. so, dont waste your time to do 12th
again..............

ok
best of luck.
18th April 2010, 12:58 PM
raviteja936

hi
thanq for the replies
but there are many factors and many people who have inspired me to do medicine
for instance one of our profs has done medicine at 42 after having 2 m.techs and a phd
(even in US and many other countries medicine is done after a degree;they think that for medicine a level of maturity is required)
So please advice me on ways of achieving my goal.I have made up my mind to do medicine and i would like to explore various opportunities to do it.
thank you
29th April 2010, 09:11 AM
Unregistered

hello,
I am a masters degree holder in engineering but I am really having a strong urge for a career in medicne. can we anyway have a personal communication?
you may contact me at [email protected]
2nd May 2010, 06:10 AM
vike
Senior Member+++++

Dear Soumya
You are a master of engineering and with this you have a strong urge for career in medical line, sounds very unusual. I am very sorry to say that at this stage it is somewhat impossible to give an idea for the stream change.
Now don't I would suggest you not to waste your time in thinking about medical field. Either advance your career to PhD in the topic of your interest or a Job as per your qualification.

Thank You
All the best
2nd May 2010, 03:08 PM
Pathfinder
Senior Member++++

Bro i dont think what you are doing is right. You should be proud of yourself doing engineering from IIT so continue with it.

Yes for getting into medicine you will have to answer 12th again but that is a strange idea. So stick to what you doing otherwise you will simply waste more years and it can affect your jobs too!

Best of luck
2nd May 2010, 06:07 PM
prakashbioc

Quote:
Originally Posted by raviteja936 View Post
Hi
I am interested in pursuing medicine after my graduation,but I haven't done biology at plus2 level.
Please let me know what should I do. Can I do XII class again with BPC from open school(NIOS),or other boards and take PMT.
Thank you
No need to go again to pursue your XII since you are Electrical enggr you can try for PG or M.Tech in Biomedical Engineering and Medical Electronics and many Health based engineering subjects and also the Biomedical Nanotechnology that is the ultra-modern course presently in india. you can try for these subjects instead you join the XII again which could delay the life-progression. Try Anna University in Chennai for the above courses. Here is the link:
www.annauniv.edu

All the best !!!
14th May 2010, 11:54 PM
Unregistered

HI
I am a student of computer science engineering .
I am interested in veterinary field .Since my parents don't like it i choose engineering.Can i study medicine after completing my BE.Please let me know what should i do.I had done biology at my plus2 level.please let me know at the earliest.
Thank you
31st May 2010, 07:07 PM
Aditya.addy
Senior Member+

dear friend,
I am shocked that after getting admission in one the best college in India ,where other students dream of getting admission,you are planning to change your mind towards Medical.it does not seems to me as a wise decision.anyway if you really want to go for Medical then its your decision.take counseling before stepping into this decision.
All the best.
11th July 2010, 11:31 PM
Unregistered

hello bro,
me too have the same feeling as yours .Presently i have completed my 3 rd year in engg. and have a strong urge to go to medicine. But i m not able to speak this up to my parents. So please suggest me anything , like how you are switching over to medicine... please help me
12th July 2010, 11:25 AM
9A2M00
Senior Member+

see,its something very peculiar to hear from you.
this would be very foolish to take again the courses as said by too.
other than becoming doctor,you should move to following branches of medicine through medical electronics,hospitality management,drug and pharma sectors.
12th July 2010, 11:25 AM
Unregistered

what is the scope after BSc. nursing specially in gujarat for good salary
12th July 2010, 12:25 PM
Dkiran

hi friend,as you didnt took biology in +2 it may become difficult to you study all those concepts.even Electrical branch is very good and you are in IIT.it is very good.
to go for in the medicine field you need to write the CET exam of your state.
12th July 2010, 01:45 PM
Shagun Makin

Quote:
Hi
Thank you
Dear friend first of all i want to ask why you want to divert from the field of engineering to medicine.

Yet engineering has more scope that medicine.

But its all depends on your interest if you want to change then you can but you will have to face difficulties in studying those subjects which you have not studied in your +2.

So first of all think that if you can do then no problem go for it.
12th July 2010, 03:22 PM
kshitijawadhiya

Quote:
Hi
Thank you
na there is no need really after all to go for it after you are in IIT.
although you would have to give 12th board again and then sit in pmt etc. for it
try out for foreign universities they may give you an admission by taking a test .....................
24th July 2010, 05:12 AM
eldhojj

I have completed Mechanical Engg from Kerala. I am trying for medicine in UK. The universities are looking for students with work experience in clincal field. Also we have to clear ukcat. age limit not a problem. Only the tests and the interview
24th July 2010, 12:00 PM
arunbaral

Hi friend you are lucky to study in IIT and you don't need to change it to medicine. anyways you have to complete the biology course of +2 so as to start your medicine career.
24th July 2010, 01:46 PM
deepakksinha

Thumbs up Re: Changing from Engineering to Medicine?

Hey,

changing from Engineering to Medicine is possible however it will be complete waste of time and money. You are already going to have a brilliant career since your are in IIT. So don't diverse your mind and study well. My professor used to say "if you don't have interest then create it".

Regards.
Deepak
24th July 2010, 02:35 PM
nillu
Senior Member+

Friend when you are from the field of mechanical engineering than why are you looking for medicine. Yes, if you have biology in your 10+2 than can go ahead. But than also I think you can have better career growth in mechanical engineering only. The decision of switching over to another field is very big so think before you take decision.

BEst wishes!!!!!!!!
31st July 2010, 08:18 PM
N.MD.AZHARUDDIN
Senior Member+

hii friend please don get confused you did a mistake you must have planned earlier for this .... if you have a interest of serving people as a doctor you can go for mbbs if you have interest in making cars in any technical fields mean you can join engineering just sit and relax think twice to choose then fix a target then work hard to achieve for that ..........

regards
azhar
29th August 2010, 02:57 PM
Unregistered

I have complted 10 2 bio stream in 2000,my date of birth is 01 april 1982 & i belong to O.B.C category.Can i eligible for PMT entrance test 2011.
30th August 2010, 01:14 AM
Adarshxxx
Senior Member+

dear friend ...

if you are not interested in engineering then you should go in medicine line

according to your interest.

both the line is good.

if you will do good in medicine line then your future will be bright.

for that purpose you have to do B.Pharma and M.Pharma.

best of luck...........
31st August 2010, 08:18 PM
cenaetion
Senior Member+

dear friend,

you can change from engineering to medicine only if you have Biology in your 12th..

otherwise it is not possible..

As you are saying that you are doing your engineering from IIT , then why you want to change your field..

after completion of your Btech you can get a good job..

if you want to do higher study then you can do it in your own field..

all the best..
1st September 2010, 12:04 AM
solution
Senior Member++++

hello dear

sorry to say, you can't do medical after your engg.

as you know both are different field.

so it will be better to do 12th with PCB combination.

all the best.....
2nd September 2010, 07:01 PM
syedirshadameen

Post Re: Changing from Engineering to Medicine?

you should do again intermediate bipc with in one year
9th September 2010, 10:30 AM
sanjusabu

Yes obviously you can go from engineering to medicine by doing 12th again from open university with PCB but one thing may cause interrupt to your desire is the age limit as maximum age limit to sit into PMT is 25.

But one thing i really want to know why are you changing your career from engineering to medical as you study in IIT?
Are you not getting any type of interest in engineering, if not then your decision is right but in that case you should concentrate on Medical very highly.
11th September 2010, 11:49 AM
Unregistered

I have done B.E then Mtech and then PhD . Me also have plans to study medicine. I am very happy that there people like me also who think medicine can be studied after engineering. Y amonetary problems are there definitely. I just want to know which universities will take people like us. I dont think its possible in India.

Plz kindly let me know at [email protected], 09437666972
11th September 2010, 02:30 PM
Unregistered

Trust me its ur best decision go for it.!! me too going through same!! changing from engg to medicine.!! plz mail me @ [email protected]
14th September 2010, 03:02 PM
Unregistered

Hi,

I feel good to see so many people out here with similar interest as me. I used to love Physics and Medicine right from my school days because of which I was very confused to decide if its engg or medicine to go for.
I have completed dual degree course from BITS Pilani in EEE and Physics. I had an interest to pursue Medicine while I was in college and my interest still remains the same. There are seniors from my college who has done Medicine (though not in India) after Mtech and phds.
But I would like to know how to go about doing Medicine in India after engineering? Not all universities in India have an upper age limit for MBBS I guess.
Though it is time consuming still there are fields like radiology in Medicine which can integrate the engineering courses and medical studies.
People with similar interest can form some group so that we can discuss with each other and get some directions.....
My mailid: [email protected]
8th November 2010, 07:48 PM
chandana Reddy

hi..
its not a good idea to do 12th biology again..its seriously a waste of time.....since you are doing your engineering at one of the best institutes it is better to continue with the same ..

all the best
11th November 2010, 11:46 AM
avinash kr.
Banned

yes you can do 12th again. but it is not good for you because you doing engineering from one of the best institute of india. thankng you..best of luck..
11th November 2010, 11:14 PM
Unregistered

raviteja u shold go for a medical treatment except medical side twelveth class.ur mind is failure since u have taken up addmission in iit.bcz u work hard indeed to get addmission in it really.since then, u r in mental problem.life is a precious gift by god.it is very short.dont waste it .earn more and learn more.u should go for pg in ur concerned subject or u shold go for a job.if u cant do it,then go for a psychiatrist .he would really treat u.bcz he also want engineering after medicine.mind always think more and more in day and even night also.but everything man cant get in a short span of life.u can try engineering in next time(next birth).now go for study.after that a good future.at last but not list,mans life is like a water bubble, it can blown away
anytime.then no use of ur iit,medicine or any thing even ur degrees.so enjoy life .life has many more to do except study.

u can not make a 15year old,u know what i want to say that, i want my childhood again.but its not possible.i can see only my childhood photographs u know(as nios xiith class)
hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
huuuuuuuuuuuuu
heyyyyyyyyyyyy
hahahahahaha

vise me bhi soch raha huin ki mein bhi 2 saal ka ban jau.
steps according time to time otherwise.otherwise consult me.
ma(eng.)m.phil(p.hd pursuing).
dr.sahil sharma
18th April 2011, 05:25 PM
Unregistered

Way to go mate ..I am from NIT,Surat studying Tronics and I am of a similar mettle. I also want to take in and study medicine after my B.Tech.( the reason I stumbled over this page:) ) anyways..just wanted to say kudos..glad to know there are other people like me.BTW, am in the 2nd year (just completing) and would take the pmt after 4th..
hope to see you sometime :)
Cheers mate..
Jaladhi S
18th April 2011, 05:34 PM
jaladhisurati

Way to go mate..I am planning to do medical after my B.Tech.too. am currently at NIT,Surat doing Electronics 2nd year ..
And have similar calculations about PMT .except the fact that I had bio in my 12th.
Actually I did crack PMT, just that;at the time I didnt feel like taking on medicine.My parents and G'parents are docs and I felt like carving my niche, and doing engg.
So I entered NIT with an intention of getting out and entering a med school.Plus I kinda discovered it a wee bit late,that I actually have an aptitude in human physiology.
Anyways.great stumbling upon this thread
Kudos and good luck.
Hope to see you sometime
ciao
Jaladhi
2nd May 2011, 07:21 PM
Unregistered

Hello Jaladhi! Go for it! become a good doctor! not all get to do wht they ever wanted to do!! u wil be a good doctor!
2nd May 2011, 08:16 PM
Unregistered

Hey jaladhi! Go for it! u wud be a good doc! very few people get to do what they like
2nd May 2011, 10:55 PM

you are to lucky to be thier in iit kharagpur but you want to pursue medicine i think you should continue with yor present studiees
3rd May 2011, 12:08 AM
Roysons

Dear,

Sorry to say but I don't understand why you have decided to change your mind of

doing that.

You are studying in one of the best institutions with one of the best course.

But if you really want to enter in the medical stream then you need to do class 12th

again with Physics , Chemistry , Biology.

Then you can opt for various fields in medicals.

But if you don't want that , you can directly opt for biotechnology and then various

options are available . So look for it.

Thanks.
3rd May 2011, 02:12 AM
deepakdeep1

changing from mathematics to bio may take your 1 year or you can do oter courses after 12 but put a private form of bio from any college.
3rd May 2011, 02:18 AM
deepakdeep1

do 12 from bio privately then you may come in bio stream otherwise not.
27th May 2011, 04:22 PM
Unregistered

hii ravi teja. . i am pujaa persuing my engineering final year wanted to do medicine . . pls tell me how to approach for that
12th June 2011, 05:43 PM
Unregistered

Red face Re: Changing from Engineering to Medicine?

Quote:
Hi
Thank you
Life is not achieving degrees.Such whims are are common in engineering students who intend to study everything starting from basic.So fail to gain satisfying level of knowledge or may be grades or even peer pressure as they get better grade with poorer knowledge.It is frustrating.
This is first lesson for bright students like you.

Secondly if bio or medical science is your choice select PG subject as
Biotechnology
Genetic engineering
Biorobotics...

These requires medical knowledge & you can contribute to the medical science.

Lastly, take up a job in other country
work for few years
if find yourself still desperate to be medical doctor go for medical studies in developed country.
26th June 2011, 03:19 AM
Unregistered

heyii..m an Electronics and Communication eng final year student and I nva did any biology related papers the last 3 years(though did biology in ma 12th). When I graduate in 2012.. I wanna do Biomedical Eng for ma masters ..cud sumbdy out der temme which are the best institutes in India I can get into..or are der any oder bettr courses related to medicine or the medical field (not Mbbs) that I can pursue in the masters program..(Always had an interest in the medical field,engineering smtn to serve humanity..but no experinces and havn't taken any initiative into doin sumthin so far) .

thanks a million ,
Elizabeth
2nd July 2011, 03:14 PM
Unregistered

I completed intermediate under the group of bipc now i am interested to do engineering what i have to do?
3rd July 2011, 09:51 PM
chauhan99

hi dear,
it seems practically impossible going for medicals after engineering........

it is very true that you can go for 12th again with biology from any open schools ........but when you apply for the competitive exams for medical exams you will be shortlisted on the basis of age limit .........

the minimum age limit for pmt is 17yrs and maximum age limit for it is 25...... SC/ST/OBC students get relaxation of 5 years on upper age limit.
so if you are a sc or st candidate then you get a concession for age limit ........

now when you will complete your b.tech form iit , at that time you will be probably 21-22yrs .......and then you will go for 12th again from open school ......which will take another 1yr ans since pmt includes both the portion of 11th and 12th biology along with other subjects ....it might take another one year for the preparation........

and so it will be difficult for you to crack the exam in the first and last attempt......
but then too i will advise you that if you are very serious about it then consult a consultant regarding this .......

thanks
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?