1st March 2018, 11:21 AM
Reshmi Radhakrishnan

How many years does it takes to become a Geologist? Which courses are available for it?

Which courses are available to study Geologist? How many years are required to become a Geologist after 12th if I study for those courses? I want to know that being a Geologist what are the different opportunities I can get and what all will I get to learn?

10th March 2018, 07:06 PM
ajjuravi
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: How many years does it takes to become a Geologist? Which courses are available for it?

To become a Geologist in future, you will have to pursue graduation course, post graduation course and then Ph.D. in it. So, it may take around 7-8 years to become a successful Geologist.

Here are the following courses that you may pursue for becoming Geologist.

Under-graduation courses:
  • B.Sc. in Geology
  • B.Sc. (Hons.) Geology

Post Graduation courses:
  • M.Phil. (Applied Geology)
  • M.Phil (Geology)
  • M.Sc. (Applied Geology and Geoinformatics)
  • M.Sc. (Applied Geology)
  • M.Sc. (Earth Science & Resource Management)
  • M.Sc. (Geological Sciences)
  • M.Sc. (Geology)
  • M.Sc. (Petroleum Geology)
  • M.Sc. (Tech) (Geology)

Ph.D. courses:
  • Ph.D. (Geological Sciences)
  • Ph.D. (Geology)

As a fresher, you will get nearly 10k to 20k in the starting but as the experience increases, your salary will rise upto 25k to 30k within few years. Some of the companies in which you can get job as a Geologist are Coal India, Oil & Natural Gas Corporation, Central Ground Water Board and the Geological Survey of India, Mineral Exploration Authority, Hindustan Zinc.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?