14th August 2018, 10:27 PM
Unregistered

Is it possible to change the field from Computer Science to Civil Engineering?

I have completed my Diploma in Computer Science but for my degree course I want to change my field and switch to Civil Engineering. Is it possible? Will I face any difficulties in near future?

15th August 2018, 09:24 AM
ranjan Ayush
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Is it possible to change the field from Computer Science to Civil Engineering?

No, you are not eligible to change the stream and get admission in Civil Engineering course.

Candidates are eligible to get admission in B.Tech or B.E course in the same stream in which they have completed Diploma course.

So, you are only eligible to get admission in B.Tech in Computer Science after diploma in computer science.
15th August 2018, 10:24 AM
ajjuravi
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Is it possible to change the field from Computer Science to Civil Engineering?

Yes, you can switch your branch from Computer Science to Civil Engineering for degree course.

As you have completed Diploma course in Computer Engineering course, so for pursuing degree course or bachelor course, you can take lateral entry to Bachelor course directly.

Here, you can opt for Civil Engineering branch for getting lateral entry admission. So, you will get direct admission to 2nd year. But you need to qualify an entrance test that will contain questions related to diploma course that you have studied earlier.
15th August 2018, 10:25 AM
Dadi Maa
Senior Member+

You will not face so much problems but you will have to work in basics of civil engineering to cope with this new stream. The set rule is to pursue degree in same stream of diploma. But candidates are allowed to change stream.

There are two entrance exams for admission in B.Tech:

1. Lateral Entry Entrance test.

2. JEE Advanced for admission in IITs.

You should have at least 60% marks in diploma to apply for LEET exam.
15th August 2018, 10:26 AM
queen199
Senior Member+++++

LEET is Lateral Entry Entrance Test it is conducted by various institutes and universities.

The eligibility to get admission in the B.Tech course is that candidate must have passed diploma from a recognised institute.

Note :- Candidate are not eligible to change the stream in B.Tech course in respect to diploma course.

So, you are not eligible to get admission in Civil Engineering.
15th August 2018, 11:39 AM
Doctor Tom
Senior Member+++++

Yes, definitely you can go for the Bachelor's in Civil Engineering just after completion of Diploma in Computer Engineering. For your kind information I want to tell you that if you go for the bachelors after completion of a diploma then you will get direct admission in 2nd year. Henceforth your course duration will reduced to 3 years only. But my suggestion to you is that you should make your career in a particular field because that will help you to get job in a good company with handsome salary.
15th August 2018, 11:48 AM
ME471
Senior Member+++++

** B.Tech. Civil Engineering or Bachelor of Technology in Civil Engineering is an undergraduate Civil Engineering course.

** The duration of this course is three years after completing Diploma course.

** As per my knowledge, you are not eligible to change the field from Computer Science to Civil Engineering.

** As per my suggestion you should go for B.Tech Computer Science course after Diploma in Computer Science.
15th August 2018, 12:40 PM
TLSAAAA
Senior Member+++++

Candidates are not eligible to change the stream and not eligible to change the stream after diploma course in B.tech.

Candidates through lateral entry are only eligible get admission in the same stream in which they have completed the diploma course.

You are eligible to get admission in B.Tech in Computer Science engineering.
15th August 2018, 12:47 PM
taputanya
Senior Member+++++

If you have completed your Diploma in Computer Engineering and now you want to complete your degree in civil engineering then definitely you are eligible to pursue BTech in civil engineering. There is a entrance test known as lateral entry entrance test and by qualifying this examination you will able to get admission directly in 2nd year of BTech course.
15th August 2018, 02:30 PM
Maa ka pyaar
Senior Member+++++

No it is not possible to change the stream and you are not eligible to get admission in civil engineering after completion of diploma in computer science.

The examination is conducted by various institutes and universities for admission in 2nd year of B.Tech course through lateral entry but candidates are not eligible to change the stream.
15th August 2018, 05:43 PM
shantanu bose
Senior Member+++++

Minimum qualification required to do B.Tech degree course in Civil Engineering is class 10+2 pass with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as compulsory subjects and should obtain minimum 55% marks in aggregate.

After completing diploma in Computer science, you can't do B.Tech degree course in Civil Engineering based on your diploma qualification. You can do B.Tech in CSE based on the qualification of diploma in Computer Science.

*** You can do B.Tech degree course in Civil Engineering if you have completed class 10+2 with PCM. So, your admission will be based on the higher secondary examination.
15th August 2018, 07:07 PM
kaushikprince
Senior Member++

Diploma in Computer Science student can get admission in B.Tech course in Computer Science stream only.
No student can take admission in Civil branch of engineering if he has completed Diploma in Computer Science.

So, you will not be able to change from Computer Science to Civil Engineering.

Instead of Diploma after Secondary Certificate examination, if you had pursued for regular Senior Secondary course then you would have taken admission in any stream means no restriction for selection of branch.

For admission in Civil Engineering, either you have to do Diploma again in Civil or Senior Secondary from any recognised board.
15th August 2018, 07:08 PM
avinash1997
Senior Member+++++

Diploma in Civil Engineering candidates can directly apply for Lateral Entry Entrance Test to get admission in Bachelor of Technology in Civil Engineering. You will not face any difficulty if you work hard.

To apply for LEET examination, you should have at least minimum of 60% marks in diploma. Stream change from diploma to degree is allowed.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?