12th August 2020, 05:22 PM
Nandini 07

Is there any relaxation in UPSC for visually impaired candidates?

I have done MA in Public Administration. I Wants to be appear in UPSC exam, but my right eye is too weak (6/60) and left eye is 6/9. So, please tell me whether am I eligible for UPSC or not? And, what is criteria and reservation? I am visually impaired. Is there any relaxation?

14th August 2020, 02:44 PM
Princee97

Default Re: Is there any relaxation in UPSC for visually impaired candidates?

Below is the criteria you can check your eligibility according to this-
Category I-With all correction surgeries, Radial keratotomy, Lasik surgery etc.
Better Eye=6/18 to 6/36 • Worse Eye=6/60 to NIL
In above case, the of visual impairment will be taken as 40% .

All with Better eye Worse Eye Percentage
corrections
Category name
0 6/9 to 6/18 6/24 to 6/36 20%
I 6/18 to 6/36 6/60 to Nil 40%
II 6/60-4/60 or 3/60 to Nil 75%
field of vision 10-
20 degree
III 3/60-1/60 or F.C at 1 ft. to NIL 100%
field of vision 10
degree
IV F.C at 1 ft. to NIL F.C at 1 ft. to NIL 100%
field of vision 100 field of vision
100degree

One Eyed Person 6/6 FC at 1 ft to NIL 30%

Those suffering from Myopia will not get the concessions admissible to blind candidates.

Relaxation-
The Union Public Service Commission provides various concessions to differently-abled candidates in terms of age limit relaxation for physically handicapped aspirants, reservation of posts and special provisions in exam centres etc. However, not all services through the Civil Services Examination are open for physically handicapped candidates.

In 2014, All the visually impaired category candidates appearing in the civil services preliminary examination, 2014 to be conducted by the UPSC on August 24 will be allowed an extra time of 20 minutes per hour for both Paper-I and Paper-II of the examination.
Thus, the visually impaired category candidates will be allowed an extra time of 40 minutes for Paper I and also an extra time of 40 minutes for Paper II of the civil services preliminary examination.
In 2015-However, blind candidates and candidates with locomotor disability and cerebral palsy where dominant (writing) extremity is affected to the extent of slowing the performance of function (minimum of 40 per cent impairment) will be allowed to write the examination with the help of a scribe in both the civil services (preliminary) as well as in the civil services (main) examination

NOTE- Recruitment of Visually Impaired Persons in the Civil Services is governed by "The Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995. As per Section 33 of the said Act, it is incumbent upon the Government to appoint in every establishment such percentage of vacancies not less than 3% for persons or class of persons with disability in the posts identified for each of the following disabilities: -
(i) Blindness or low vision
(ii) Hearing Impairment, and
(iii) Locomotor Disability or Cerebral Palsy

Hope this helps you. Thanks.
15th August 2020, 12:13 AM
vanisunshine.vani
Senior Member++

Default Re: Is there any relaxation in UPSC for visually impaired candidates?

"Success doesn’t give inspiration; the struggle behind success gives you the inspiration"

**Visually impaired candidates appearing for civil services preliminary examination will be getting 40 minutes extra time per paper.

**There are two types of service offered by UPSC civil service
1)Technical (need good eye,can apply for IPS,IRTS,RPF,Group A)
2)Non-Technical(visualy impaired,can apply for Group A & B,IFS,IAS)
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?