9th August 2012, 04:31 PM
global2sys

What is the difference between current and EMF?

what is the difference between current and emf?...please tell me the difference

8th March 2013, 09:34 PM
sunny_19
Junior Member+

Default Re: What is the difference between current and EMF?

Emf means voltage across two terminal of the cell and current is the charge of it. Emf is the motive/magnetic force which induce current
8th March 2013, 11:25 PM
Ravikanth2027
Senior Member+++++

EMF :

EMF Stands Electromagnetic Fields

EMFs are a type of radiation , that take the form of waves

Some Different Types of EMF :

Natural EMFs

Artificial EMFs

The Electric Field

The Magnetic Field

Current :

Current is a flow of electrical charge carriers , usually electrons or electron deficient atoms.

The common symbol for current is the uppercase letter " I " .

Electrical current can be either direct or alternating .

Direct current flows in the same direction at all points in time , although the instantaneous magnitude of the current might vary .

Current per unit cross sectional area is know as current density .

9th March 2013, 09:05 AM
aashisranjan784
Senior Member+++++

Dear Friend

I have given you a small brief explanation about both current and EMF after understanding which you will know the difference between them.

Here is the explanation.

Electric current is defined is the flow of electric charge when a voltage (potential difference ) is present across the electrical conductor.

In electrical circuits ,electric current is carried by the charge carriers which are electron.The S. I unit of current is ampere and is measured with the help of electrical instrument called ammeter.

It can be flow of both positive and negative charge carriers.The direction of flow of conventional current is opposite to that of charge carriers.

Now depending upon the voltage applied it can be either direct current which means that flow of charge is unidirectional and alternating current which means movement of charge reverses periodically.

Now coming to the EMF:

EMF stands for the Electromagnetic force and means the voltage generated by a battery or magnetic force as per Faraday's Law which states that time varying magnetic field which produces emf which further induces electrical current.

As the name suggests that is force but it is not force but a potential or energy per unit charge and it is measured in volts.

Hope the information provided by me will help you in understanding the difference between EMF and current.

all the best

aashisranjan
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?