25th August 2013, 01:23 AM
Ichcha Mishra

Infromation about preparation for PCS exam?

Hello. I, Ichchha Mishra am pursuing 3rd year of b.a. My subjects are English literature and history. I want to prepare for pcs exam so I would like to know all the details of the exam and please tell me the proper way to prepare for this exam. Hoping for a response as soon as possible.

25th August 2013, 10:51 AM
SK@S
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Infromation about preparation for PCS exam?

UPSC Civil Services Exams are held in three stages:
Prelims
MAINS
Interview

Next prelims exams would be held in May 2014

Syallabus for Prelims Exams

Paper 1:
Indian and World Geography - Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World.
Indian Polity and Governance - Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
History of India and Indian National Movement.
Economic and Social Development Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector initiatives, etc.
General issues on Environmental Ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change - that do not require subject specialization.
General Science.

Paper 2
Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) Data
interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc.
English Language Comprehension skills
Decision-making and problem-solving
Comprehension
Logical reasoning and analytical ability
Interpersonal skills including communication skills;
General mental ability

Tips for Preparations

-Clear your basic concepts by reading NCERT Books from the school level.
-Follow the syllabus of the UPSC CSE and prepare topics accordingly.
-Read atleast 2 good newspapers daily like The Hindu,Economic Times,etc.
-Read good magazines like the CSR,Pratiyogita Darpan,Marnorama Year Book,etc.
-Read the Interviews & experiences of previous toppers of CSE and try to follow tips given by them.
-Solve previous year question papers and model test Papers
-CSAT Exam requires knowledge of subjects like geography,sociology,history,economics,english,poli tical science,environment science,etc.
-Try to study for long study hours,make notes for revision and gain indepth knowledge on all subjects in the CSE syllabus.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?