22nd December 2009, 11:16 AM
ANANTHU SIVAN

Mtech in petroleum engineering? higher studies and career in oil sector

sir,

I am a final year student of mechanical engineering and i looking forward to a career in oil sector.kindly give me the suitable higher study option that would enable me to fetch a job in this sector.

also please sent me the required syllabus to prepare for the gate exam in this sector.

Yous sincierly
ananthu

6th January 2010, 11:30 AM
maddusajj
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Mtech in petroleum engineering? higher studies and career in oil sector

the IOCL is taking students based on their gate rank,
the notification and application forms will be available from January 11
7th January 2010, 01:17 PM
ryan
Senior Member+

Default Re: Mtech in petroleum engineering? higher studies and career in oil sector

you are a mechanical engg. syudent,so you can easily get ajob in several sectors ,but if are very interested in joining oil sector then i suggest you to write GATE this year,because IOCL will have direct interview according to the GATE scorecard.

other companies like hpcl,bpcl etc have their own entrance exams,followed by an interview.

and for GATE you just need to by a good book and prepare well for it,and this year onwards they are also asking some aptitude questions in gate,so prepare well for that too.
7th January 2010, 07:10 PM
faiyaz
Senior Member++++

After completing your b.tech you have decided well to go for m.tech.

For great career prospect Iwill advice you to go for m.tech in petroleum engineering from IIT-M it is well known for its petroleum engineering department,for it you have to crack GATE,which you are going to appear.

Or you can also opt for M.tech (applied) petroleum engineering offered by The Nowrosjee Wadia College, which is affiliated to University of Pune.

Or you can also opt for M.tech petroleum refining and petrochemicals,offered by Anna university,admission through TANCET.

For GATE preperation I will advice you to opt for a good coaching institute,because if you want to persue M.tech (petroleum engineering) from IIT-M you have to score well in GATE,which is not so easy.
however,you can refer to the books Tata mcgraw & hill's.
8th January 2010, 02:37 PM
himansh

hey mba is the best thing to do and in oil sector many few people take interest so its good and salary wise and future wise its a good field.
9th January 2010, 05:11 PM
amarjit
Senior Member++++

it will be best for you if you go for masters in petroleum as there is a lot of demand for highly qualified engineers in companies like...ongc,reliance petroleum........
you can also go for research work after masters degree.....
for gate exam you should have your basics in your finger tips......
for more details regarding syllabus and conduct of the exam....please refer....
http://studentpartner.wordpress.com/tag/gate-2010-syllabus-for-mechanical-engineering-me/
best of luck
11th January 2010, 11:56 PM
rohit kumar singh

u can do m.tech from pandit deen dayal petrolium university
u can go for GATE exam
u can do MBA from UPES
15th February 2010, 01:32 AM
thakurbaba307

the best school in india to study petroleum engineering is undisputedly ISM,dhanbad....though some other universities like dibruagarh university,assam and college like institute of petroleum studied offer mtech degrees....
outside india, royal school of mines in UK is the best institute
29th April 2010, 02:50 PM
Unregistered

I have to know all details for joining this course.. Whats the basic details and what work and what salary and whats the qualification, so everything i want to know..
14th May 2010, 10:47 PM
Unregistered

I WANT TO PETROLEUM ENGINEERING IN MUMBAI ONLY FROM SIMRAN
23rd May 2010, 04:46 PM
Unregistered

sir,oil and gas management is best for chemical enginer .or not
26th May 2010, 01:36 AM
Unregistered

I am final year student of Pertolchemical Enginnering. I am looking forward for Mtech. I already attempt GET, but i coulnd't suceed. So,
please advice me a better book for prepration & please proceed Mtech collagea address for petrochemical engineering.
I am waitnig for your kind replay.
30th May 2010, 03:11 PM
Unregistered

I had completed B.tech in petrochemical engineering and i want to do m tech in mumbai in petrochemical. i had given GATE but havent got valid score.i want to know about m tech in petrochemical in mumbai.
20th June 2010, 06:14 PM
Unregistered

hi,i completed my B TECH in ECE . i want to know about M TECH or MBA in petrochemicals. Am i eligible for doing M tech or MBA in that field??? IF i crack gate with a valid score,will i be eligible to do MTECH or MBA in petrochemicals???
26th June 2010, 11:48 AM
Unregistered

hi I completed my diploma in mechnical will i eligiable for b.tech in petrochemical engineering in any india's institute i realy intrested in oil & gas feald
20th July 2010, 11:34 PM
Unregistered

i am doing btech in petroleum engineering.should i do mtech ?
31st July 2010, 01:27 AM
Unregistered

I AM DOING B.TECH IN BIOTECHNOLOGY.MAY I DO MTECH IN PETROLEUM ENGINEERING.?
16th August 2010, 08:11 PM
Unregistered

To serve in Oil & Gas Sector gives you a feeling of Pride & also the nature os Job is Tough,challenging & adventureous. You can directly try after completion of your B.tech in companies like Reliance, Essar, Schlumberger,Halliburton,Cairn, ONGC etc. Ya you can also go for Master's in Petroleum engineering. Good Look Dear.
17th August 2010, 02:08 AM
sarang.petroleum

HI I AM COMPLETED MY BE in petroleum engg...... any advice...... for my master
28th August 2010, 11:17 PM
Unregistered

pandit deendayal uni gandhinagar, gujarat would be good option for M.tech in petroleum?
29th August 2010, 01:52 AM
subhash5687
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANANTHU SIVAN View Post
sir,

I am a final year student of mechanical engineering and i looking forward to a career in oil sector.kindly give me the suitable higher study option that would enable me to fetch a job in this sector.

also please sent me the required syllabus to prepare for the gate exam in this sector.

Yous sincierly
ananthu
now you can apply for jobs in Reliance, Essar, Schlumberger,Halliburton,Cairn, ONGC

log on to www.fresherworld.com
15th November 2010, 04:59 PM
Unregistered

sir can u tell me the best college in india for masters in petroleum engineering ..
18th December 2010, 08:45 PM
Unregistered

sir please tell me can i do mtech in petroleum field. i m in B.E. mechanical engineering 3 rd year
26th December 2010, 01:41 PM
Unregistered

sir please tell me. for m tech in petroleum eng.
in which discipline we have to do b tech
27th December 2010, 12:11 AM
priyanka_swengg
Senior Member+++++

Smile Re: Mtech in petroleum engineering? higher studies and career in oil sector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANANTHU SIVAN View Post
sir,

I am a final year student of mechanical engineering and i looking forward to a career in oil sector.kindly give me the suitable higher ..........

Yous sincierly
ananthu
well ananthu,

scope of mechanical engineering now a days are very good,
even you can get good job through placements
some good companies are TATA MOTORS, TECH MAHINDRA.... etc

but if you are really aspiring for oil sectors then you must give GATE exam.

clear it with your ease and OGCL is having direct entry through exam..

even some other companies also has their own exams..

good luck.
27th December 2010, 01:00 AM
subho19
Senior Member+++

Red face Re: Mtech in petroleum engineering? higher studies and career in oil sector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
sir,oil and gas management is best for chemical enginer .or not
Dear friend,
these are very valueable for your future,because many petrochemical industry are interested to hire student from those college campus...
27th December 2010, 08:11 AM
asahu47
Senior Member+++

hii

Mtech in petroleum engineering

you are a mechanical engg. syudent,so you can easily get ajob in several sectors ,but if are very interested in joining oil sector then i suggest you to write GATE this year,because IOCL will have direct interview according to the GATE scorecard.

other companies like hpcl,bpcl etc have their own entrance exams,followed by an interview.

good luck.
27th December 2010, 12:49 PM
dreksha chaudhary
Senior Member+++

Dear Ananthu,
In today's world there is a great demand of petroleum engineers.

some good companies like TATA MOTORS provides a great packages for their engineers
but if you are really aspiring for oil sectors then you must give GATE exam.it will give a boost on your future.
By GATE exam you can also apply for any other companies...

ALL THE BEST......................

good luck.
27th December 2010, 02:58 PM
Rudraprasad
Senior Member++

Quote:
pandit deendayal uni gandhinagar, gujarat would be good option for M.tech in petroleum?
Obviously it is a well known institutes and have best placement facility.

All the best.
27th December 2010, 03:01 PM
Rudraprasad
Senior Member++

Quote:
hi I completed my diploma in mechnical will i eligiable for b.tech in petrochemical engineering in any india's institute i realy intrested in oil & gas feald
No you can not change from mechanical to petroleum engineering stream.According to rule you can get admission into Production engineering,Tool & Die engineering,Power engineering.

But you can do jobs in petroleum sectors.

All the best.
27th December 2010, 03:03 PM
Rudraprasad
Senior Member++

Quote:
i am doing btech in petroleum engineering.should i do mtech ?
It is better to do M.tech.Otherwise you can get a good job.M.Tech qualification will help you to improve a career in R & D sector.

All the best.
27th December 2010, 03:04 PM
Rudraprasad
Senior Member++

Quote:
I AM DOING B.TECH IN BIOTECHNOLOGY.MAY I DO MTECH IN PETROLEUM ENGINEERING.?
No you can not do M.Tech in petroleum stream.

All the best.
27th December 2010, 07:33 PM
anaspeer

Hi, Its good that you choose oil sector. Being a Mechanical Engineer you can get into this sector. As a fresher if you want to get into this sector, you can try into IOCL, HPCL.

You can also register in BOAT (Board of Apprentice Traning) after your degree, where they take fresher in chemical, fertilizers, refinery plants as one year apprentice. And after this with this experience you can try for Gulf.

For IOCL GATE score is a must. So apply for GATE.

The syllabus is just your engineering syllabus. You can write it as a Mechanical Engineer itself.

All the best.
28th December 2010, 12:45 AM
nishant1110

In fact, Biotechnology, Mechanical engg and Petroleum engineering are quite disjointed.

Yet, you, Mr ANANTHU SIVAN, can go into the infrastructure and resources side, which includes construction of fuel pipelines, oil rigs, digging and probing apparatus like drills and probes etc.

Also, Mr Unregistered (who said I AM DOING B.TECH IN BIOTECHNOLOGY.MAY I DO MTECH IN PETROLEUM ENGINEERING.?) if you want to stay with fuel, you might find a job in thermal energy generation, as both genetically-engineered methanogens and petroleum deposits yield useful fuels. Furthermore, there is greater scope of biofuels from heat-killed algae and plankton.
28th December 2010, 03:15 PM
JAMESS
Senior Member+++++

it is a nice decision to go for M.tech after B.Tech. after M.Tech scope and job opportunity will be increased.

but without M.Tech also you may join in Oil sector as an engineer. IOCL gives opportunity to the mechanical engineering student for direct interview if the candidate have valid GATE score. so be prepare for GATE examination. GATE examination syllabus is for mechanical engineering is available on the website of any IIT. you may go through it.

best wishes.
28th December 2010, 03:49 PM
yajvendra

dear friend
you can do M.Tech in petroleum engineering from many reputed institute and there are many more scope jobs after M.Tech
so keep going
28th December 2010, 08:44 PM
mishra245

You can apply for the petroleum engg. as filling the application form of GATE.
If you are not getting job after completing Btech in petroleum engineering & you are interested in higher studies then i would suggest you to do MBA. You can choose from among a no. of electives in MBA including mba in petroleum management to build you career.
8th January 2011, 09:46 PM
Unregistered

sir i am doing B.Tech electronics and instrumentation engineering ? what can i do next ? i want to do m.tech /m.s ? i want to know which disciplnes are applicable to me in p.g
17th January 2011, 03:15 PM
Unregistered

I have secured provision addmision in Mtech petroleum in UPES dehardhun , how is the placement for the same??
27th January 2011, 05:19 PM
Unregistered

i am study in m.sc industrial chemistry ,i addmision for petroieum m.tech,yes or no
27th January 2011, 05:30 PM
Unregistered

i do m.sc industrial chemistry, i do m.tech petroleum
28th January 2011, 10:05 AM
G-rocks
Senior Member++

Hello Friend

After completing your b.tech you have decided well to go for m.tech.you can also opt for M.tech (applied) petroleum engineering offered by The Nowrosjee Wadia College.You can get more information in the given link.
http://studentpartner.wordpress.com/tag/gate-2010-syllabus-for-mechanical-engineering-me/

Best of luck..
8th February 2011, 11:31 AM
Unregistered

To All:
1. After doing B.Tech in Mechanical engineering there are many options but if somebody wants to go for Petroleum Industry, He/She can join oil companies like schlumberger, Halliburten, Weatherford, Oil, ONGC with mechanical degree itself. If you want to go for MS please opt for foreign universities like University of Texas Austin,University of Tulsa,University of Oklahoma, Stanford University,Texas Tech University,Heriot watt university,NTNU etc. If you are searching for option in India go for ISM Dhanbad, MIT Pune, IIT Madras etc.
Note: current market condition is not very good in USA and B.Tech are preferred over M.Tech in India, so think before you act.
2. For those who are doing B.Tech in Petroleum Engineering: U must not go for M.Tech in India as B.tech are preferred over M.Tech. If you plan for higher study appear for GRE and go abroad. without GRE also you can apply in Australia, Canada, UK , Norway etc.
Rgs
[email protected]
12th February 2011, 08:59 PM
Unregistered

please advice about the chances of doing MSc in petroleum Engg after Diploma in Electrical Engineering from Overseas Universities. If possible name the instittes and universities also.
27th March 2011, 08:32 PM
Unregistered

hi sir plz give me a suggestion which institute is best for m tech in petroleum with good placement,............. pdpu, upes, ism, rgipt
27th March 2011, 08:42 PM
maddy885

i do m.tech petroleum which college is best in placemant pdpu, upes,rgpit,ism
12th April 2011, 09:26 PM
Unregistered

i would like to know the various gate score for admission to mtech at iit m in petroluem emgineering
14th April 2011, 04:52 PM
akkilala
Member+

hi dear
it will be best for you if you go for masters in petroleum as there is a lot of demand for highly qualified engineers in companies like...ongc,reliance petroleum........
you can also go for research work after masters degree.....
for gate exam you should have your basics in your finger tips......
for more details regarding syllabus and conduct of the exam....please refer....

thanks
15th April 2011, 11:43 AM
solution
Senior Member++++

hello dear

you can do Mtech in given below specialization to get job in oil sector

1. Thermal Engineering

2. CAD / CAM

3. Design Engineeering

4. Automotive technology / Engineering

5. Mechatronics ( Interdisciplinary)

6. Manufacturing Technology

7. Computer Integrated Manufacturing.

etc.

all the best........
10th May 2011, 07:10 PM
Unregistered

sir,, i got call from ISM DHANBAD....i'm confused in branches for M.Tech...is it good to take petroleum engg after mechanical for mtech..??? what are their placement record in petroleum engg. in mtech..??? and is Industrial engineering and management is better than petroleum in Mtech in ISM..???????plzzzzz replyyy..i have very less time...
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?