2nd December 2015, 09:55 PM
Unregistered

IAS officer after graduation in commerce?

Hi, I am doing my graduation in commerce & want to become an IAS officer. Do I have the option to attend the exam after my graduation? Which are the subjects I can practice?

3rd December 2015, 02:46 PM
surendergora
Senior Member++++

Default Re: IAS officer after graduation in commerce?

To become IAS officer, you have to clear Civil service exam.

You can apply for this exam after your graduation. As per the current pattern of the exam, you have to chose one optional subject.

You can choose any one of then subjects mentioned in the UPSC list of subjects.
Click here

Other than the optional subjects, you have four GS papers which make up for 3/4th of total marks. Weightage of optional is 500 marks.
3rd December 2015, 04:33 PM
Blessmegod
Senior Member+++++

Yes, you are eligible to appear in the civil services examination after the graduation degree.

As there is no separate examination for the I.A.S so you have to appear and qualify in the civil services examination to become an I.A.S officer. The eligibility to appear for the examination is :-
* Candidates must have passed the graduation from the recognised university.
* Candidates age must be between the 21-32 years for the open category.

There is no limitation on the aggregate and the discipline of the graduation. So you can appear for the examination after the graduation.

For more information about the examination visit at the www.upsc.gov.in.
3rd December 2015, 05:42 PM
Maa ka pyaar
Senior Member+++++

Yes, you are eligible to become an I.A.S officer after the graduation in commerce.

The minimum eligibility to appear for the I.A.S examination conducted by the UPSC every year is candidates must have passed the graduation from recognised university. Candidates age must be 21-32 years.

So, you are eligible to appear for the civil services after the graduation degree. For more information about the examination visit at www.upsc.gov.in.
3rd December 2015, 06:50 PM
ranjan Ayush
Senior Member+++++

You can apply for Civil Services Examination after bachelor's degree in commerce because minimum qualification for this exam graduation in any discipline from a recognized university.

The age limit for exam is 21-32 years. Upper age relaxed by three years for OBC and five years for SC/ST respectively.

You can take Accountancy or Economics as an optional subject which will be the best as per your stream.
3rd December 2015, 07:32 PM
avinash1997
Senior Member+++++

IAS stands for Indian Administrative Service and to be an IAS officer which is the highest post in the administrative field one needs to clear Civil Services examination.

Civil Services Examination is held once every year by Union Public Service Commission in three stages which includes Preliminary test, Mains and Personal Interview respectively.

Also for appearing in the same examination you need to satisfy the criteria given here under :-

* You must have the nationality of India.

* Your age must lie within 21 years to 32 years by the 1st August of the same year in which you are appearing in the same examination if you belong to general category. Also are relaxation is applicable for reserved category candidates as per the government norms.

* You must have either completed or must be in the final year of your bachelor degree course with any discipline of your choice from a recognized university.

As it is clear from the eligibility criteria that one can appear in the civil services examination and become IAS officer with any discipline as there is no bounding in the stream of academics. Also, the examination allows the student to have that subject as the main subjects for the same examination in which they are confident and which lies to their strength. So you do not have to be worried about the subject for the same examination by backing yourself with that subject in which you are best and for which you are interested personally.

For more queries regarding the same examination you can log on to the official link of UPSC i.e; www.upsc.gov.in.
3rd December 2015, 07:52 PM
RSJ66
Senior Member++

# Of course, you are fully eligible for Civil Service Examination after the completion of graduation.

# Thing to be noted that candidate with graduation degree in any subject/discipline/stream is considered eligible for Civil Service Examination.

# Moreover, it is pertinent to mention here that there is no any requirement of any fixed percentage marks or grade in order to be eligible for Civil Service Examination. Candidate is required only passing marks in graduation degree.

# The age limit fixed for civil service examination:

* 21 years as minimum age for all candidates irrespective of any category.
* 32 years as maximum age for candidates of general category.
* 35 years as maximum age for candidates of OBC category.
* 37 years as maximum age for candidates of SC/ST category.
* 42 years as maximum age for candidates of Physically Handicapped category.

# Here below, the number of permissible attempts are followings categories:

* General category: 6
* OBC category: 9
* Candidates of Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe are exempted from such permissible number of attempts like restriction.

# Following is the stages/process involved in Civil Service Examination:

* Civil Service Aptitude Test (CSAT) or Preliminary Examination
* Mains Examination (Subjective Type)
* Personal Interview by UPSC Panel

# Followings are the papers involves in the Mains Examination:

* General English (300 Marks)
* General Essay (300 Marks)
* Any Indian Language (300 Marks)
* General Studies (300 Marks)
* First optional paper (300 Marks)
* Second optional paper (300 Marks)

# Names of few books useful for Civil Service Examination:

* India's Struggle for Independence by Bipin Chandra
* Indian Constitution by Subhash Kashyap
* Indian and World Geography by Majid Hussain
* Indian Economy & Performance and Policies by Uma Kapila
* India Since Independence by Bipin Chandra
* A History of Modern World by Ranjan Chakravati
* Indian Constitution by P.M. Bakshi
* Mc Graw Hill Education Series: Indian Polity for Civil Services Examination by M. Laxmikanth
* Mc Graw Hill Education Series: Indian Economy for Civil Service Examination by Ramesh Singh
3rd December 2015, 11:34 PM
Prince8645
Senior Member+

Yes, you are eligible to become an I.A.S Officer after graduation degree. To become an I.A.S Officer, you have to qualify in Civil Services examination.

Civil Services examination is conducted by UPSC every year and it is among the toughest examination of India. To appear for examination required eligibility is :-

* Candidates must have passed graduation from any recognised university.
* Candidates age must be 21-32 years and relaxation in age for reserved category.

The examination is conducted in three stages and need to qualify in all stages for final selection. For more information about examination visit at http://www.upsc.gov.in
12th May 2016, 03:16 PM
Unregistered

Hi... I am in commerce 2nd year .. Can I choose anthropology or public administration as optional subject in main UPSC as if I clear prelims...
14th June 2016, 03:55 PM
Expert king

Yes, you can eligible for Civil service exam.
The minimum education qualification required for IAS is graduation with any stream. IAS is a civil service exam which is conducted by UPSC board every year.
Eligibility for IAS:
1. You must complete degree in any stream from a recognized university.
2. The age limit for applying for IAS is 21- 30 years.
3. You must be a Indian citizen.
4. There are upper age relaxation is provided for OBC up to 3 years and for SC/ST is 5 years.
5. Ex-servicemen who have completed their service can get up to 5 years upper age relaxation.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?