26th December 2010, 12:04 PM
ARUN.I

How could I plan my studies for becoming an IAS officer?

Sir i have an aim of becoming an ias officer.now i am doing my b.e in psg tech(coimbatore),second year.how could i plan my studies and what are tips to feel easy

Related Questions:
28th August 2011, 10:03 AM
belide
Senior Member+++

Default Re: How could I plan my studies for becoming an IAS officer?

If you are from btech background go for IES and it requires all your technical stuff...
you can also try UPSC for which you require good knowledge at
currrent affairs,geography,history,english,
these are helpful for prelims...
once you clear it you need to answer smart in mains as well as in interview..
you can refer MANORAMA..

all the very best..
28th August 2011, 03:13 PM
payal85

ur aim is very good.
for IAS exam u need to focus on current affair daily read one good news paper
and choose any two option rightb now that wt u take for IAS exam n focus on it clearify ur douts at every step of reading.
28th August 2011, 06:04 PM
Revatigurav

IAS is Indian Administrative Services.
For ias, ies, ips and other civil services UPSC exxam is conducted every year.
UPSC stands for UNION PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION

The Civil Service Examination has a complicated format! The complete exam stretches over a period of one year!Following is the “format” of the exam.
First of all, in the month of May or June there are the “Preliminary examinations”. Now, in this examination, there are two papers. The papers are on:
1. General Studies (150 marks)
2. Some optional subject (300 marks)
This exam is just to get you to the next round of the “main exam”. This is just to short list candidates. The score you get here is NOT added to your final score.

General Studies Paper….

General Studies paper consists of questions on:
Indian Polity & Economy
History of India including Indian National Movement
Indian and World Geography
Current Affairs of National and International Importance
General and day-to-day Science
Mental Ability and Basics of Statistics etc.
Questions on planning, budgeting, developmental programs, latest issues of political and constitutional importance, panchayati raj, electoral reforms, natural resources, culture, growth of nationalism, Committees, Commission etc can be expected every year.
Now-a-days, there is a lot of emphasis on “current affairs” in the general studies paper!
Basically, the syllabus is HUGE and vague. But, don’t worry we shall try to help you with what you need to do. How to prepare for these papers is given later on in the “How to prepare” section…

“Some optional subject” paper

Here you have to give a paper on a subject of your choice. You can choose from the following subjects:
Agriculture
Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
Botany
Chemistry
Civil Engineering
Commerce
Economics
Electrical Engineering
Geography
Geology
Indian History
Law
Mathematics
Mechanical Engineering
Medical Science
Philosophy
Physics
Political Science
Psychology
Public Administration
Sociology
Statistics
Zoology
As, you know, to give the exam you need to be a “graduate” in some field. People generally choose their optional subject as the same subject that they graduated in. However, there is no such compulsion. You can choose any subject and give your "optional subject paper" for that subject.
To get the syllabus for the optional subject you pick, you can check out this link!
Okay, now after you have given the prelims, you have to wait for the result and see if you got selected for the “Main Examination”! The results generally come out by July or August!
Once the results are out, you will know whether you are going to be appearing for the “Main Examination” or not!

Now, in the main examination, there are “9” papers that you have to give! These papers include:
1 Essay type Indian Language Qualifying Paper (300 marks)
1 English Qualifying Paper (300 marks)
1 General Essay type paper (200 marks)
2 General Studies papers (300 marks each)
4 Optional subjects papers (300 marks each)

Then finally, if you qualify after the “main examination” stage, you have to go for an interview. In the interview, you are tested on basis of your personality, mental ability etc. It is seen how suitable the job will be for you. And, if the interviewers like you, you are selected.
This complete process takes about one year. The preparation for this starts 4-5 yeas in advance. And out of the 2 lakh people that apply, only 400 to 500 are selected! To add to all this, if you are selected and only if you have a good enough score, you are free to choose what you want, whether IAS, IPS etc… IAS and IPS get filled out fastest. If you want to become an IAS officer, you will need a great score!

Now, as you saw in the previous section, in the preliminary examination there are two papers.
General studies
Optional Subject

FIRSTLY: For this paper, it is very important to be updated in “current affairs” in all fields.
For History, Economy, Polity, etc, you should read Class 11 and 12 books published by the NCERT. Refer to the book “General Knowledge Refresher by O.P. Khanna”.
According to IAS topper of 2000, Sorabh Babu Maheshwari, you must read “Competition Success Review” issues from December to May. Just go through them and try to pick as many facts as you can. Also solve the previous years' General Studies Prelims and Model Papers published in Competition Success Review.
When studying for General Studies, you should try to read up as many business and political magazines, newspapers etc. that you can. This has two advantages. It will give you a good control over the English language. This "good control" helps you in many of the papers like the "essay paper", the "English qualifying paper" etc. It will also keep you updated with the latest facts and current affairs.
However, do not over do this. You should not waste your time reading a lot and picking up very few facts! You must try to read only things that matter and take an extra effort to look out for things that could be asked in the exam papers!

How to prepare for the Optional Subject paper?

Before you prepare for the optional subject paper, you first need to select the optional subject.

What subject should you take?
If you have got your “bachelor’s” degree in a particular field, and you are confident about that field then choosing that subject as your optional subject would be a good idea.
It would be wise to look though the syllabus of the subject you are selecting and seeing whether you have covered all of the topics in your degree course and how well you feel you know those topics.
Another strategy is to select a subject like “Geography” or “History” if you can mug-up a lot of facts. These subjects help some people to score really well in the prelims and this is what gets them to their “Mains Exam”!
One important thing to remember: After the prelims, you are not going to get much time to prepare for the “Main Exam” if you get selected. It would make a lot of sense to try to study both “General Studies” as well as the “Optional Subject” properly, as if you are studying for the Mains! At least one optional subject of the mains will be almost over! If you do this, your load for the mains will reduce a lot!

How to study for the optional subject?
Well, there are many different subjects and it would not be practical to explain how to study for each individual one.
Obtain the latest syllabus for the civil service exam you will be giving. Then, gather up all your books, and cover the topics of the syllabus while SIMULTANEOUSLY referring to the question papers and seeing the kind of questions that are asked on each topic!
The paper will be a multiple choice questions paper.A good understanding of all the concepts of the syllabus is a must!
Another thing to remember, when you start to study for the prelims, you might tend to want to focus more on the “optional subject” since you already know it and it is easier! Do not do this! Make sure you concentrate on the “General Studies” paper also. If you do not, you will just not reach the Mains!
Remember also not to over concentrate on the “General Studies” paper. It has fewer marks than the optional subject. So, basically, do not “over” or “under” focus on any one! Do both in the right proportion.

The papers you will have to give in the mains examination:
1 Essay type Indian Language Paper (300 marks)
1 English Qualifying Paper (300 marks)
1 General Essay type paper (200 marks)
2 General Studies papers (300 marks each)
4 Optional subjects papers (300 marks each)
For the "mains exam" you have to select 2 optional subjects. And on each of these optional subjects, you will have to give 2 papers. So that makes 4 optional subject papers in all!
When you are studying for the prelims, you should study both the “optional subject” and the “general studies” really well! If you do this, you can use the same knowledge to give the mains exam. It will reduce your study load for the mains exam a lot! When studying for the mains exam, one of the optional subjects will be almost done and a lot of the “general studies” syllabus will be covered!

How to choose the second optional subject?

To select the second optional subject, you must decide on basis of two factors:
The availability of study material/books etc. on the subject you select.
The amount of interest you have in that subject!
Study material is generally a problem! So you should keep a look out for good books etc. that cover the syllabus of the optional subjects you select.
One optional subject will be the same as the optional subject you chose in the prelims! The other optional subject could be something like “history” or “geography” etc. if you can mug-up a lot of facts! On the other hand, if you have interest in some other subject and you can find enough study material on it, you should definitely go for that subject.
The list of options you have for your optional subject's is here:
Agriculture
Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science
Botany
Chemistry
Civil Engineering
Commerce
Economics
Electrical Engineering
Geography
Geology
Indian History
Law
Mathematics
Mechanical Engineering
Medical Science
Philosophy
Physics
Political Science
Psychology
Public Administration
Sociology
Statistics
Zoology
Arabic
Assamese
Bengali
Gujarati
Hindi
Kannada
Kashmiri
Konkani
Marathi
Malayalam
Manipuri
Nepali
Oriya
Pali
Persian
Punjabi
Russian
Sanskrit
Sindhi
Tamil
Telugu
Urdu

All the best
Revati
22nd September 2011, 01:13 AM
Unregistered

Respected citizens i dont know anything about IAS just now am in final year engineering i almost wasted my golden days but now i felt very bad i already out of my best future but still am hoping for best so please help me something to fullfill my dream ....... Please
8th November 2011, 09:46 AM
rudramishra

If you are from btech background go for IES and it requires all your technical stuff...
you can also try UPSC for which you require good knowledge at
currrent affairs,geography,history,english,
these are helpful for prelims...
once you clear it you need to answer smart in mains as well as in interview..
8th December 2011, 03:56 PM
Unregistered

sir i am AMOLSHINDE I AM PASSED 10 WITH 73.03% AND 12 WITH 73.50 % AND DED 68.% AND BCOM PURSUING CAN I WANT TO BECOME IAS OFFICER
14th April 2012, 02:53 PM
sujukisamurai
Senior Member+

In the month of May or June there are the “Preliminary examinations”. Now, in this examination, there are two papers. The papers are on:
1. General Studies (150 marks)
2. Some optional subject (300 marks)
This exam is just to get you to the next round of the “main exam”. This is just to short list candidates. The score you get here is NOT added to your final score.
General Studies Paper….
General Studies paper consists of questions on:
Indian Polity & Economy
History of India including Indian National Movement
Indian and World GeographyCurrent Affairs of National and International ImportanceGeneral and day-to-day Science
5th April 2013, 11:33 AM
Unregistered

which course will be better for IAS after 10th
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?