30th August 2012, 03:59 PM
Unregistered

Can I opt for genetics engineering while appearing for NEET?

can i opt for genetics engineering appearing for NEET?

31st August 2012, 07:40 PM
vike
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Can I opt for genetics engineering while appearing for NEET?

The course is generally conducted by engineering colleges, at undergraduate level
so it is difficult to say that NEET score shall be valid or not.

Genetic Engineering is a very specific field and so it is not a good decision to do this
course at undergraduate level because you will hardly find a good medical college
offering this course. You should better do such a cousrse at post graduate level.

Either the colleges which will be allowing admission through NEET score shall publish
their own advertisement or NEET conducting authority notify the list of colleges.
Presently, it is difficult to tell exactly whether admission Genetic Engineering courses
will be through NEET or not.

I would recommed you to do undergraduate course in Biotechnology/Bioinformatics/
Biomedical etc. stream and then for PG in the stated stream.

Medical Colleges
AIIMS New Delhi
BHU Varanasi
CMC Vellore
Science Colleges
JNU Delhi
IISc Banglore
Engineering Colleges
IIT Bombay
IIT Delhi
IIT KGP
MIT manipal
31st August 2012, 08:07 PM
incredibleshub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
can i opt for genetics engineering appearing for NEET?
YES you can opt for Genetic engineering.

Genetic Engineering

Genetic Engineering, in simple words, is a laboratory technique used by scientists to change the DNA (Deoxy ribo Nucleic Acid) of living organisms.

This wonderful branch of engineering or science enables the human minds to interfere in and modify the processes of life, birth death and even offers escape from certain congenital diseases. There is great scope in this field as the demand for genetic engineers is growing both in India and abroad.

Eligibility criteria
An individual aspiring for a career in genetic engineering can start the BTech course after his/her Plus Two Science with Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Biology. Admission to B.Tech in Genetic Engineering/Biotechnology/ Biochemical Engineering is made generally through entrance tests.
One can also pursue three-year B.Sc degree course in Genetics / Biological Science / Life Science / Biotechnology subjects and then go for post graduation (MSc) in genetics.
One who desires for further study and research can pursue M.Tech and PhD in genetic engineering offered by few institutes in India including the IITs.

Career prospects
In India, there are several sectors that give employment to genetic engineers and professionals. They can be absorbed in medical and pharmaceutical industries, agricultural sectors and the research and development departments of government, semi-government and private sectors. The pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries offer the best opportunities to genetic engineers and professionals with handsome salaries apart from other perks and benefits.

Pay package
The salary of genetic engineers is generally high as compared to other frontier branches of engineering and science. A fresh graduate in genetic engineering can get monthly salary between Rs 15, 000 – Rs 25, 000. The pay-package in foreign countries is very high as compared to India.
There are many Indian and multinational companies in biotech sector located in India and abroad offering quite good employment opportunities to genetic engineering professionals and scientists. Salaries earned by professionals in these firms generally range from Rs.20, 000 to 30,000 per month. However, in the USA and European countries pay package is much higher due to complexity of job and shortage of trained professionals.
Genetic engineering professionals working in government laboratories and research centres get good salary apart from other perks and benefits. One can also work in research labs located in foreign countries which provide huge remuneration as compared to India.

Institutes offering this course
  • SRM University
SRM Nagar, Kattankulatthur - 603 203
Kancheepuram Dt, Tamil Nadu, India
Phone : +91 - 44 - 2745 5715 / 2745 3433
Fax : + 91 - 44 - 2745 3622
E-mail : [email protected]
Course (s) offered : B.Tech - (Genetic Engineering), Ph.D.
  • Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai
    Course (s) offered : Post M.Sc. Certificate course in Plant Genetic Engineering
  • Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras
    Course (s) Offered : four-year B.Tech. Biotechnology, M.Tech. five-year dual degree in biotechnology.
  • IIT, Kharagpur
    Course (s) Offered : four-year B.Tech. and five-year M.Tech. courses in Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering.
  • IIT, Guwahati
    Course (s) Offered : B.Tech Biotechnology.
  • IIT, Delhi
    Course (s) Offered : M.Tech five-year dual degree in Biochemical Engineering and Biotechnology
31st August 2012, 09:06 PM
manjira...

Dear Friend,
Genetic Engineering is generally conducted at under graduate level. Some of the colleges consider the NEET rank. Those colleges publish their own advertisement for the admission of candidates.

The study of genetics engineering is very specified and thus it is better if you pursue it after completing your graduation level that is in your post-graduation.
It would be difficult for you to find any good college for genetic engineering.
you can pursue courses like the following rather than genetic engineering, they are

>>Biomedical

>>Biotechnology
14th June 2022, 10:41 PM
Unregistered

can a PCB student also opt for genetic engineering
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?