5th September 2015, 11:01 AM
Unregistered

Can I become an IAS Officer by choosing Biology in 11th & 12th?

Seeking for guidance for preparing for IAS exams. Can i become an IAS officer by choosing bio as a subject instead of maths in 11th & 12th?

5th September 2015, 05:30 PM
RSJ66
Senior Member++

Default Re: Can I become an IAS Officer by choosing Biology in 11th & 12th?

# IAS stands for Indian Administrative Service.

# Please note that candidate with any degree or any subjects opted are considered eligible for civil services examination. Merely possession of any valid and recognised bachelor degree enable the candidate to appear for civil service examination irrespective of nature and type of bachelor degree. So you will be surely eligible for civil service examination after completion of graduation.

# Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) hold the combined competitive examination namely Civil Service Examination for following services mentioned below:

* Indian Administrative Service (IAS)
* Indian Police Service (IPS)
* Indian Revenue Service (IRS)
* Indian Custom and Excise Service
* and many more

# Required eligibility criteria are:

* Must be Indian national.
* Graduate in any discipline from recognised university.
* Candidate in final year are also eligible but only provisionally
* Just passing marks required in graduation.
* Must bear moral character without any criminal or unwanted record.

# Required age limit:

* 20-30 years for General category.
* 20-33 years for OBC category.
* 20-35 years for SC and ST category.
* 20-40 years for Persons with Disability.

# UPSC has fixed certain number of attempts for each and every category separately which are mentioned below:

* General category reserved only Four attempts.
* OBC category reserved only Seven attempts.
* SC and ST categories reserved only Unlimited attempts

# Pattern of Civil Service Examination:

* Preliminary Examination
* Mains Examination
* Personal Interview by UPSC Panel

# Pattern of Mains Examination of Civil Service Examination:

The Mains Examination is of descriptive nature containing nine papers. Mains Examination includes following papers:

* Any Indian Language (300 Marks)
* General Essay (300 Marks)
* General English (300 Marks)
* General Studies (300 Marks)
* Any two optional papers (each 300 Marks)

# Books for Civil Service Examination:
* Indian Economy & Performance and Policies by Uma Kapila
* India's Struggle for Independence by Bipin Chandra
* India Since Independence by Bipin Chandra
* A History of Modern World by Ranjan Chakravati
* Indian Constitution by Subhash Kashyap
* Indian Constitution by P.M. Bakshi
* Indian and World Geography by Majid Hussain
* Mc Graw Hill Education Series: Indian Polity for Civil Services Examination by M. Laxmikanth
* Mc Graw Hill Education Series: Indian Economy for Civil Service Examination by Ramesh Singh

5th September 2015, 08:33 PM
Effort Never Dies
Senior Member+++++

Yes definitely there is No restriction on subjects in your 11th and 12th. But you must ensure that you should complete graduation to apply for IAS.

You need to satisfy the below eligibility to apply for IAS.

<>You should complete graduation with minimum percentage of marks from the recognized university.

<> Minimum age : 21 years

Maximum Age : 30 years

<> Final year candidates of graduation can also eligible to apply for IAS.

<> There is a age relaxation eligible to reserved candidates.

6th September 2015, 12:52 AM
AWNISH RANJAN CHAUDHARY
Senior Member+++++

Yes, you are eligible to become an I.A.S officer after the biology in the 12th board examination. But you have to pursue you the graduation degree. I.A.S stands for Indian Administrative Services and the recruitment on the above post is on the basis of the civil services examination.

The examination is conducted every year by the UPSC. The eligibility to appear for the examination is :-
* Candidates must have passed the graduation from the recognised university.
* Candidates age must be between the 21-30 years and relaxation in the age for the reserved category candidates.

So, you have to first complete your graduation degree in any discipline to appear in the examination. But still you can start the preparation for the examination as it is the best time. Go through the English newspaper and go through the monthly magazine.

For more information about the examination visit at thewww.upsc.gov.in.

6th September 2015, 01:17 AM
Maa ka pyaar
Senior Member+++++

Yes, you can select the any course in the 10+2 to appear for the civil services examination. The civil services examination is conducted every year for the recruitment of the IAS, IPS, IFS etc...

As the minimum eligibility to appear for the examination is the graduation degree from any course from a recognised university and the age between the 21-30 years. So you have to wait till your graduation degree to appear for the examination.

The examination is conducted in the three stages and the candidates have to qualify in all the stages for the final selection for the services. So you can start the preparation for the examination now. To qualify in the examination one must requires a hard work with great determination.

6th September 2015, 12:33 PM
aashisranjan784
Senior Member+++++

The selection of subjects in class 10+2 does not have any effect on the examination of the Indian Administrative Service called Civil Services examination. You can take any subject of your interest in 10+2. The minimum academic qualification for Civil Services exam is bachelor's degree in any discipline from a recognized university.

So when you will pursue bachelor's degree, choose that subject in bachelor' s degree which you like to choose as an optional subject in the Civil Services mains examination as it will help you in better preparation and also you will have good concepts of that subject.

So, yes, you can become IAS officer by taking biology in 10+2. You must start preparing for the exams at the basic level from now. For basic science, read the NCERT books for science from 6th to 10+2.

Other than science, read daily newspapers for national and international issues. Social science books of NCERT for understanding Geography, Civics, History etc.

6th September 2015, 04:04 PM
avinash1997
Senior Member+++++

Yes definitely you can achieve your goal of becoming an IAS officer by opting Biology in your higher secondary academics.

IAS stands for Indian Administrative Officer and the same is the highest post in the administrative field which one can achieve on their merit.

For becoming an IAS officer one need to clear the Civil Services Examination held once every year by Union Public Service Commission.

--> The eligibility criteria required for appearing in the civil services examination are as here under :-

* You must have the nationality of India.

* Your age must be within 21 years to 30 years if you belong to a general category. Otherwise age relaxation of 3 years, 5 years and 10 years are provided to OBC, SC/ST and Physically handicapped candidates.

* You must hold a bachelor's degree with any stream of your interest from a recognized university.

--> The examination is conducted in three stages which are as :- Stage I) Preliminary test, Stage II ) Mains and Stage III ) Personal interview.

--> Also the number of attempts provided for clearing the same examination does differ category wise which are 4 attempts for General Category, 7 attempts for OBC category and no limits for SC/ST category.

For more details regarding the syllabus, question pattern and other necessary information associated with the same examination you can log on to the link www.upsc.gov.in.

6th September 2015, 08:58 PM
sandeepsaini.saini522
Senior Member+++++

IAS exam stands for Indian Administrative Service which is conducted by UPSC every year.

There is no special subject criteria in 11th and 12th standard to apply IAS exam.

Education Qualification:

You should be passed a bachelor degree from a recognized university. Appearing in final year candidates are also eligible.

Your age should be between 21-30 years. Age relaxation is given to reserved category students.

You must be citizen of India.

You must be physically as well as mentally fit.

Selection Process:

Preliminary exam

Mains exam

Interview

6th September 2015, 11:21 PM
BISWARUPYOGI
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Seeking for guidance for preparing for IAS exams. Can i become an IAS officer by choosing bio as a subject instead of maths in 11th & 12th?
Yes, you become an IAS officer but you should complete your graduation degree first.

IAS stands for Indian Administrative Services. IAS exam is conducted by Union Public Service Commission. IAS exam is conducted one time in a year.

If you have completed graduation in any discipline from a recognized university then you are eligible for IAS exam.

Age criteria:

For General: 21 to 30 years
For OBC: 21 to 33 years
For SC/ST: 21 to 35 years

No. of Attempts:

For General: 3
For OBC: 7
For SC/ST: No Restriction

Selection process for IAS exam:

1)Preliminary test
2)Mains exam
3)Personal interview

For more details about IAS exam please visit to official website www.upsc.gov.in

6th September 2015, 11:37 PM
queen199
Senior Member+++++

The subject taken in class 10+2 has nothing to do with the Civil Services Examination. Your subjects in 12th does not have any effect on Civil Services exam. Even subject in bachelor's degree has nothing to do with Civil Services exam.

You can become IAS officer by taking biology in 11th and 12th. If you want to excel in civil services mains optional, you must take subject that you would like to take in mains option , reading that subject in bachelor's degree would help in developing basic concepts of subject.

At basic level, you must study all the NCERT books from 6th to 12th for fundamental concepts of science and social science.

7th September 2015, 12:29 AM
ranjan Ayush
Senior Member+++++

You can become Indian Administrative Officer by taking biology instead of maths in 11th and 12th. But you should know that the minimum eligibility criteria to appear for the Civil Services exam is bachelor's degree in any discipline from a recognized university.

The age limit is 21-32 years with upper age relaxation for reserved category candidates.

You will have to clear the three stages to become IAS officer.

1. Preliminary exam.

2. Mains exam.

3. Personal interview.

Official website: www.upsc.gov.in.

8th September 2015, 05:20 PM
Rashmuu

Definitely you can go for the IAS with this streams.The Eligibility for the CSE exam is to have a nachy degree in any Stream from a recognised university with good percentile.

There is not any kind of restrictions to choose any fix subject or course. One is totally free to choose any of the course on the basis of their interest and liking.

1st March 2017, 03:06 AM
Unregistered

Is it easy for a bio student to be an ias officer as compared to those who have selected maths and arts in class 12????

8th April 2017, 09:12 PM
Unregistered

I am confused for optional subject to become ias officer because I am the student of biology and many people said that biology is hard subject for upse optional then what I do?

29th July 2017, 07:03 PM
Unregistered

I am deepika from india i want to become an ias . I took bio_maths group in 11th std. What kind of courses i can take after my 12th? What are the steps should be followed by me from starting to become ias?

3rd September 2018, 02:17 PM
Unregistered

For PCB student what subject I can take for crack upsc after 12

Do you have any question? or have anything to say?