13th October 2012, 09:19 PM
Unregistered

How to study Law in Kolkata?

As because I am over 20 years so is there any possibility or way left for me to become a lawyer, I have scored above 50% marks in HS exam & recently I am a B.A. final year student under Calcutta University.

2nd May 2013, 01:33 AM
Unregistered

Default Re: How to study Law in Kolkata?

I am B.A final year student(bengali honours) of calcutta university. after graduation I want to study about law in kolkata. Please give me the proper suggestion,& admission procedure in any college
3rd May 2013, 03:21 PM
amit89itbhu
Senior Member+++

HI

Requirements To Be a Lawyer

There are three main lawyer requirements. The first requirement is that you should have studied for four years and achieved a bachelor's degree. After that to get enrolled into a law school you will need to pass the law school admission test. Once, you are done with this you will study in the law school to get another degree. Finally, to get the license to practice law, you will have to appear and pass the bar exam.

Bachelor's Degree
Obtaining a bachelor's degree is the first requirement to be a lawyer. There is no specific course that you need to pursue at this level. You can pursue a course of your choice, provided you do well in it. College grades will matter a lot, while seeking admission into a law school. When in college, you can start training yourself for law school. You will need to develop your communication skills, analytical and logical thinking, writing and researching skills. You can also take up additional courses in foreign languages, history, philosophy, public speaking, etc. Also, you can enroll for preparatory courses for the Law School Admission Test (LSAT), as it is crucial in obtaining admission into a good law school.

Law School Admission Test
The law school admission test is an entrance exam for law schools, conducted four times in a year by the Law School Data Assembly Service. It mainly evaluates verbal reasoning and reading skills. Its grades are important in determining the law school, you would be enrolling into. The law schools that fall under the jurisdiction of the American Bar Association, require their applicants to qualify the LSAT. Law schools consider the applicant's LSAT scores, college grades, undergraduate school quality and if required, may also conduct a personal interview before accepting the applicant. You will also need to send your certified transcripts and college grades to the Law School Data Assembly Service, which then forwards the same to the law schools.

Law School
The first year of law school involves the study of courses such as legal writing, contracts, property law, civil procedure, constitutional law and torts. In the remaining two years, you would be pursuing specialized courses, like corporate law, tax or labor law. The three years in law school would also include activities, like moot court competitions, practicing in legal clinics and practicing under experienced judges and lawyers. At the end of the three years, successful students obtain the 'juris doctor' degree.

Those who would like to teach or research in the field of law, would need to acquire advance law degrees. Others can become accident lawyers, bankruptcy lawyers, divorce lawyers, etc.

Hope the above information helps
All the best
30th July 2015, 11:17 AM
Unregistered

Im 26yrs old.. M I eligible for LLB ( distance education ) in kolkata or other state of West Bengal ..? I've passed 10 2 with 58% & Bsc(H) from CU with 48%..
31st August 2017, 01:18 AM
Unregistered

I am 34yr old, b.com ( C.U full time ) & MBA ( Sikkim Manipal distance learning).

Is there any way to pursue career in LAW?

what's shall be the best place to study in Kolkata.

Or I shall not try this atall

Thanks
Younus
13th December 2017, 08:00 PM
Md30

Dear student,
You are eligible for law.
Details about law admission criteria are
LLB bacholes of legistative law. Which is 3years course for which minimum criteria is graduation and other is integrated course of 5 years duration for undergraduate students.this course is divided into 6semester.The law admission is based on entrance exam like CLAT,LAWCET
The West Bengal national university of judicial sciences ,faculty of law university of Calcutta, south Calcutta law college, sarsuna law college, Kingston law college, Jyotirmoy school of law ,rabindra shiksha sammillani law college, university of Calcutta, techno India university, Adams university, jis university, Amity university,
Good luck.
28th October 2018, 11:50 AM
Unregistered

Hi, I am 21 years old.. Can i apply for LLB. As i am under graduate.. N as i was not able to carry my study after class 12. But now i am working and i want to study LLB.. How can i pursue.. Please suggest me a collage in Kolkata where i can do correspondence course..
6th September 2020, 09:19 PM
Unregistered

Can bengali honours student became a lawyer?
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?