24th February 2011, 08:59 PM
Unregistered

Suggestion for books for preparation of vocabulary for CAT?

could u please suggest me some books which could help me to increase my vocalbury.for cat which books should i follow for english section so that i would not face any difficulties in english section...

25th February 2011, 12:46 AM
omprakash sharma

Default Re: Suggestion for books for preparation of vocabulary for CAT?

hi,

Quantitative Aptitude Recommended books for CAT/MBA

While preparing for Quantitative Aptitude for CAT/MBA one can refer following books:
1.Start with Arun sharma (Simple and easy to understand...recommended for those who are starting their CAT preparation ). Book Name:Quant Aptitude by Tata Magraw Hill , Author:Arun sharma

Verbal Ability Recommended books for CAT/MBA Entrance
1.Wren and Martin English Grammer

2.Word Power Made Easy by NORMAN LEWIS

3.VERBAL ABILITY BY ARUN SHARMA

4.English Proficiency IMS India

5.A Communicative Grammar of English By: Geoffrey Leech

10 Best Vocabulary Tips For Cat Entrance

"1) Read read and read- Most vocabulary words are learned from context. The more words you are exposed to, the better vocabulary you will have. While you read pay close attention to the words you don't know. First try to figure out their meaning from context, then look the words up. Read and listen to challenging material so that you will be exposed too many new words.

2) Improve your context skills- Research shows that the vast majority of words are learned from context. To improve your context skills pay close attention to how words are used. Doing a search on a word in dictionary will give you many examples of how that word is used in context.

3) Practice, practise and practise-. As soon as you learn a new word, start using it. Review your index card periodically to see if you have forgotten any of your new word. Perhaps on the index card that can later be reviewed.

4) Make up as many associations and combination as possible- Say the word aloud to activate your auditory memory. Relate the word to words you already know, For example the word GARGANTUAN has a similar meaning to the words gigantic, huge and large etc, You could make a sequence small, medium, large, very large, GARGANTUM. List as many things as you can that could be considered GARGANTUM: Godzilla, the circus fat lady. Create pictures of the word's meaning that involves strange emotions. Think GARGANTUAN creatures was going to rip me apart and then eat me.

5) Use mnemonics- (memory tricks) for example- Consider the word EGREGIOUS (extremely bad) think egg reach us, imagine you have made a mistake so bad that they are throwing eggs at us and a rotten eggs reaches us. Such funny little word pictures will help you remember what word means, and they are fun to make up. Also, find out which learning style suits you best. Everyone learns differently.

6) Get in the habit of looking up words you don't know- If you have a dictionary programmed on your computer keep it open and handy. Internet service shaves dictionary and thesaurus on their toolbars. Find them and look up any word you are not absolutely sure of. Use a thesaurus when you write to find the word that best suits you.

7) Play with words- play scrabble, ogle and do crossword puzzles. These and other word games are available in the computer so you are not dependent on a partner to play.

8) Use vocabulary lists- There are also many interesting word sites on the internet, many of which send you a word each day by email.

9) Take vocabulary test- playing games, such as the ones on this site that test your knowledge will help you to learn new words and also let you know how much progress you are making. Offline sources for vocabulary tests include CAT preparation books.

10) Get excited about words- Come to appreciate the sometimes subtle differences between them. Do you know the difference between something that denotes something else? If not go look it up. Learn to say what you really mean and discover the joys of being able to express yourself in writing.
19th March 2011, 11:40 PM
saswat1989
Senior Member+

Good vocabulary is helpful.
For vocabs development go for the book "Word Power Made Easy by NORMAN LEWIS"
However it is usage, reasoning and the ability to comprehend passages that is critical for you to excel at CAT.
20th April 2011, 03:49 PM
suraj2157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
could u please suggest me some books which could help me to increase my vocalbury.for cat which books should i follow for english section so that i would not face any difficulties in english section...
WORD POWER MADE EASY by NORMAN LEWIS is best for vocab and institute gives you book and card for vocab is sufficient for vocab.
all the best
11th September 2011, 02:08 PM
Unregistered

can anyone suggest a good book for practicing DI
17th July 2013, 07:04 PM
megayounus786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

TEST DURATION & PATTERN

Q.1) How many sections are there in the test?

Ans. There will be two separately timed sections in the test. The sections are (a) Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation (b) Verbal Ability & Logical Reasoning.

Q.2) How many questions are there in each of these sections?

Ans. There will be 30 questions in each section.

Q.3) Can I move back and forth between the two sections?

Ans. No, each section will be timed separately. Once a section ends, candidates can no longer go back to it.

Q.4) Can I choose which section to attempt first?

Ans. No, candidates will be presented with the section on Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation first, followed by Verbal Ability & Logical Reasoning.

Q.5) How will the separately timed sections work?

Ans. There will be an on-screen timer counting down from 1 hour 10 mins (i.e. 70 minutes) once a section begins. When the time is up, that section will end and you will not be able to go back to it. The second section will then begin and the on-screen timer will start counting down from 1 hour 10 minutes again. Once the second section ends, the test will end.

Q.6) Can I start on the second section if I finish the first section before the 70 minutes are up?

Ans. No, you will not have the ability to end the first section before the first 70 minutes are up. However, you will be given an option to end the second section, and therefore your test, before the second 70 minutes are up. If you choose to end your test before the full duration is up, you will be required to wait at your testing station until everyone is dismissed by the test administrator.

Q.7) What is the duration of the test?

Ans. Each of the sections will be 1 hour and 10 minutes (i.e. 70 minutes). Including a 15-minute tutorial before the start of the test which candidates are advised to go through, the total duration of the test will be 2 hours and 35 minutes.

Q.8) What is the tutorial?

Ans. The tutorial provides a series of screens that will orient you to the computer-based CAT. This will give you an opportunity to try the various features, including how to navigate between questions in a section, review questions, etc. The tutorial has a total duration of 15 minutes and candidates are advised to go through it entirely before starting the actual exam sections. For a similar preview, candidates can take a tour of the CAT 2012 Practice Test which will be available on www.catiim.in

For more details: http://www.catiim.in/
23rd November 2013, 12:24 PM
Unregistered

after completing norman lewis, which book next to start ?
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?