24th January 2019, 05:13 PM
Unregistered

Can I study PhD(Mathematics) being a BSc General student?

Sir , I am continuing my Graduation course in General stream of BSc. I have target to take Mathematics as Honours in MSc. May I be able to get PhD degree in Mathematics in this case? If no, then have any away better for me?

29th January 2019, 11:49 AM
Doctor Tom
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Can I study PhD(Mathematics) being a BSc General student?

The minimum eligibility required to pursue PhD in Mathematics is that the candidate must hold Master's Degree in Mathematic with at least 55% marks from a recognised University of India.
Hence, you will be eligible to pursue Ph.D after completion of MSc in Mathematics course but you will have to qualify the entrance test such as UGC NET or UGC CSIR.
29th January 2019, 12:07 PM
Parvathi90
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sir , I am continuing my Graduation course in General stream of BSc. I have target to take Mathematics as Honours in MSc. May I be able to get PhD degree in Mathematics in this case? If no, then have any away better for me?

Sorry, you are not eligible to study PhD in Mathematics after completion of BSc General. Candidates who have passed MSc / MA or equivalent degree in Mathematics with at least 55% marks or grade point average from any recognized university are eligible to study the PhD in Mathematics. Therefore, it is not possible to study PhD in Mathematics after completion of BSc General. You have to first study MSc Mathematics and then apply for the admission to study PhD in Mathematics.
29th January 2019, 08:43 PM
taputanya
Senior Member+++++

The minimum eligibility required to pursue PhD in mathematics:

- The candidate must have minimum qualification of M.Sc in mathematics or Physical Sciences from a recognised University.

- Minimum percentage should not be less than 55% whereas elaxation of 5% is given to reserved students such as SC / ST / PH candidates.

- The candidate needs to qualify the national Eligibility Test for lecturership.
29th January 2019, 09:21 PM
osmin
Senior Member+++++

Eligibility to study PhD in mathematics:-

Candidate should have master's degree in mathematics or physical sciences.

BTech candidates from any discipline can also apply.

Some institutes also offers direct admission for graduate students with excellent academic record.
30th January 2019, 09:27 PM
ppsahu
Senior Member+++++

After completing BSc and MSc (Honours) in Mathematics, you are eligible to study PhD(Mathematics). You must have passed MSc (Mathematics) with minimum 55% marks (50% marks for SC/ST/PH candidates) or an equivalent grade from a recognised university. Candidates with B.E./B.Tech degree (or equivalent degree) in an appropriate field of Engineering or Technology are also eligible to study PhD(Mathematics). You have to appear in the entrance exam conducted by respective university for admission in PhD program. Candidates who have a valid score in CSIR-NET / UGC-NET/GATE are exempted from entrance exam.

Last edited by ppsahu; 2nd February 2019 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Remove *
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?