19th November 2014, 11:56 AM
Unregistered

How to prepare for JEST Physics entrance exam? Previous year question papers?

hello
I am planning to appear for jest exam(physics). but i do not know how to prepare for the exam. I need your guidance for preparation. Along with it can you pls send jest physics exam previous 10 year question papers to my id.
thank u

19th November 2014, 03:45 PM
PaperListExpert

Default Re: How to prepare for JEST Physics entrance exam? Previous year question papers?

The syllabus for JEST Physics paper is the standard M.Sc Physics syllabus. In particular, it presumes that the candidates have taken basic courses in Mathematical Physics, Classical Mechanics, Electromagnetic Theory, Quantum Mechanics, Statistical Mechanics and some special subjects such as Condensed Matter Physics, Electronics, Nuclear Physics etc.

The test questions will have a total of 50 questions with 25 from First level and 25 from Second level, adding to a total maximum marks of 100. 40% questions will be from B.Sc. Level and 60% questions will be from M.Sc. Level.
19th November 2014, 10:20 PM
belide
Senior Member+++

Default Re: How to prepare for JEST Physics entrance exam? Previous year question papers?

Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST) is conducted jointly by many institutes in India. It is to offer admissions for PhD courses in Physics and theoretical Computer Science.

It is the national wide examination conducted collectively by various institutes of India which offer PhD in Physics and Computer Science.

The best way to prepare for JEST examination is know the syllabus, paper pattern and practicing the previous and sample papers.

Eligibility:

• M.Sc. in Physics or M.Sc. / M.E. / M.Tech. in related disciplines
• B.E. or B.Tech. will also be considered at IISc, IMSc and more
• Final year B.Sc. and first year M.Sc. in Physics / Electronics / Astronomy

It is conducted for both subjects of Physics and Computer Science.

Paper Pattern:

• The question paper for JEST examination will have multiple choice questions with two levels of difficulty,
• First level will have 25 easier questions carrying one mark each
• Second level will have 25 difficult questions carrying three marks each.
• Total number of questions will be 50 and total marks are 100.
• Out of the questions, 40% of the questions will be from B. Sc level and remaining 60% questions will be from M. Sc level.

Syllabus for Physics:

• Classical Mechanics
• Electronics
• Electrodynamics
• Statistical Mechanics
• Quantum Mechanics
• Atomic & Molecular Physics Spectroscopy

Preparation Tips:

• Know the paper pattern
• Practice 2 to 3 topics daily
• Practice sample and previous papers
• Get updated with the technical subjects

Reference Books:

• Classical Mechanics by H. Goldstein
• An Introduction to Mechanics by Daniel Kleppner & Robert J. Kolenkow
• Introduction to Electrodynamics by David J. Griffiths
• Principles of Quantum Mechanics by R. Shankar
• Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by David J. Griffiths
• Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics by Frederick Reif
• Heat and Thermodynamics by M. W. Zemansky & Richard H. Dittman
• Mathematical Methods for Physicists by George B. Arfken & Hans J. Weber
• Concepts of Modern Physics by Arthur Beiser

Please, find attachments for complete syllabus of Physics and sample/previous papers.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf JEST Sample Paper 1.pdf(36.5 KB, 426 views)
File Type: pdf JEST Sample Paper 2.pdf(10.7 KB, 251 views)
File Type: docx JEST Sample Paper 3.docx(21.3 KB, 179 views)
File Type: pdf JEST_2014.pdf(250.1 KB, 410 views)
File Type: pdf jest2012.pdf(383.6 KB, 302 views)
File Type: pdf JEST-2013.pdf(255.7 KB, 251 views)
File Type: pdf JESTPhysicsQuestionPaper.pdf(38.4 KB, 287 views)
File Type: pdf JEST-Sample-Paper Physics-1.pdf(36.5 KB, 216 views)
File Type: docx pHYSICS sYLLABUS.docx(13.3 KB, 160 views)
File Type: docx Reference Books for JEST Physics Exam.docx(13.7 KB, 267 views)
5th October 2015, 09:30 PM
Unregistered

I am Monika Parashar. I m a b.tech student and not from a physics background. I want to study astronomy in higher studies so I have to clear j.e.s.t exam. please give me some guidance to crack this test .I knw the syllabus,pattern,books name bt please tell me we have only 4 months. we cannot read all the books. kindly tell me one or two practice books in which all important topics are covered. thank you.
12th October 2016, 10:09 PM
Unregistered

Please send me previous year question papers of iiast to my email address [email protected]
10th October 2018, 04:16 PM
Unregistered

I am Prasanthi. I m a b.tech student(ECE) and not from a physics background. I want to study VLSI Design & Embedded systems in higher studies so I have to clear JEST 2019 exam. Please give me some guidance to crack this test. I don't know the syllabus,pattern,books name so please tell me the syllabus and pattern ,I have only 4 months. I cannot read all the books so kindly tell me one or two practice books in which all important topics are covered. thank you.
24th June 2019, 09:17 AM
Unregistered

Can I give jest for phd in physics after btech in computer science?
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?