19th October 2015, 01:46 AM
Unregistered

How to become an IES officer in 2016? Does IES has the same value as IAS?

I am pursuing my 3rd year of BE and I want to become an IES officer in upcoming year 2016 what is the procedures to be followed I start preparing for it from now only and if so what is the material that is available for it .Does IES has the same value as IAS. And what would be the starting salary for IES officer.

Related Questions:
19th October 2015, 12:51 PM
queen199
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: How to become an IES officer in 2016? Does IES has the same value as IAS?

Since you are in the 3rd year of B.E you are not eligible to appear for the IES examination in the 2016.

IES stands for Indian Engineering Service and it is the examination conducted by the UPSC. The eligibility to appear for the IES examination is candidates must have passed the B.tech/B.E or in the final year while appearing for examination.

But you need to start the preparation to qualify in the examination and go through all the topics you have studied. The salary vary as during the training period and final recruitment.
19th October 2015, 02:41 PM
18Angel
Senior Member+

Default Re: How to become an IES officer in 2016? Does IES has the same value as IAS?

Procedure to become IES officer :-
Engineer students in stream like electrical,mechanical & civil engineer students can try for ESE officer .Selection of candidates on the basis of written test conducted by UPSC.

Qualification Required:- Engineer degree required from any recognized university in any of following disciplines:-
Electrical engineering
Civil Engineering
Electronics & Communication
Mechanical Engineering

Final year students can also apply for IES.

Age limit:-Age should between 21 to 30 years.

Exam Pattern:- Preliminary Exam
Main Exam
Personal Interview

Difference between IAS & IES:-There is a quite same .IAS stands for Indian Administrative service Exam.IES stands for Indian Engineering Service Exam.

The pay scale for IES officer starts from Rs 15,000 & go up to 65,000 p.m.
19th October 2015, 03:00 PM
jxsab
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am pursuing my 3rd year of BE and I want to become an IES officer in upcoming year 2016 what is the procedures to be followed I start preparing for it from now only and if so what is the material that is available for it .Does IES has the same value as IAS. And what would be the starting salary for IES officer.
IES - Indian Engineering Service

This is a engineering service exam conducted by UPSC (Union Public Service Commission) and is held every year. This exam is conducted for candidates to join in Engineering organizations in India.

Eligibility Needed:

-> Candidate should have a citizenship in India.

-> Age limit needed is 21-30 years of age for genera category and for other category candidates there are relaxation such as for SC/ST it is 5 years extra and for OBC it is 3 years extra.

-> Educational qualification needed is candidate should have completed a degree in following departments:
  • Civil Engineering
  • Mechanical Engineering
  • Electrical Engineering
  • Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering

If you satisfy them all then you can apply for the IES Exam. To tell about IES and IAS they are totally different, the only thing is that they are both UPSC associated entrance exams. IAS is a administrative civil service and IES is a engineering services.

For more info check at http://www.upsc.gov.in
19th October 2015, 03:02 PM
kaushikprince
Senior Member++

IES stands for Indian Engineering Services whereas IAS stands for Indian Administrative Services.
Recruitments on the basis of IES and IAS are on equivalent post but not at same and also are valued equally.
Eligibility to appear in IES examinations are
-Candidate must have passed Bachelor's of Technology degree from a recognized university or Institution.
-Candidates appearing in the final year of degree are also eligible to appear in the examination .
-Candidates must be of age 21 years to 30 years
-Age relaxation is applicable for reserved category students.
Also, number of attempts are limited in IES examination.

So, if you are currently in 3rd year of your degree program i.e you will appear in the final year examination in 2017, then you will not be able to appear in IES 2016.
It is good that you are preparing for IES but you will have to wait till you crossover the minimum eligibility criteria necessary for the students to appear.
19th October 2015, 05:27 PM
Pwg_31
Senior Member+

Lets first check out the eligibility condition for the IES, then we'll come to the conclusion.

1) You must be an Indian resident.

2) Your age must be within 21 years to 32 years. Also there is the provision of age relaxation for other categories as per the government norms.

3) You must have completed your bachelor of engineering course from a recognized university.

Now you have to first check, if you would complete 21 years by the final year of your engineering, you can definitely start your preparation for the 3rd year itself. But if you have one year left then i would recommend you to start after your BE only.

Regarding the study material, there are various coaching center from which you can easily get the study materials. Some of them are-
-Made easy
-Ace academy
and list continues.

Now, the answer for the last part of your answer.
No it doesn't have the same weigtage as that of IAS. though both Grade A posts but an IAS officer has more authority than an IES officer.
The starting salary of an IES is around 50,000 but it will increase after the next pay commission which is due for the year 2016.
28th October 2015, 10:13 AM
Unregistered

Is there any barrier for students having back logs in BE to appear for IES ?
Abhisek M Talukdar
30th October 2015, 12:19 AM
rrupay

IES means Indian Engineering Services and IAS means Indian Administrative Service. Both are public services of India. But for IAS, any Graduate can apply but for IES, only Engineering Graduates can apply.

Both IES and IAS are very good public services and offers good value for students.

You do not worry about this. Since you are pursuing Engineering, I prefer you to try for IES only.

IES is conducted to recruit people into below 4 Engineering services.
Civil Engineering
Mechanical Engineering
Electrical Engineering
Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering

For preparation, you can take previous papers and sample papers along with best books available in outside market.
26th November 2015, 01:49 PM
surendergora
Senior Member++++

IAS stands for Indian Administrative service
IES stands for Indian Engineering service

IAS is very different from IES as IAS is related to administration while IES is a technical service for which only engineers are eligible.

For IES, civil, electrical or mechanical engineers can apply. For IAS, you just need to be graduate.

IES exam is conducted by UPSC every year. It is conducted in two stages, written exam and interview.
Written exam is both subjective and objective type. There are two objective papers and two subjective papers along with one general ability paper.
Notification for next IES exam, 2016 will come in March, 2016.

You can check here for notification : upsc.gov.in

For IAS, you have to appear for civil service exam, it is much more competitive than IES becuase candidates from all fields apply for this exam.
26th November 2015, 01:52 PM
surendergora
Senior Member++++

IAS stands for Indian Administrative service
IES stands for Indian Engineering service

IAS is very different from IES as IAS is related to administration while IES is a technical service for which only engineers are eligible.

For IES, civil, electrical or mechanical engineers can apply. For IAS, you just need to be graduate.

IES exam is conducted by UPSC every year. It is conducted in two stages, written exam and interview.
Written exam is both subjective and objective type. There are two objective papers and two subjective papers along with one general ability paper.
Notification for next IES exam, 2016 will come in March, 2016.

You can check here for notification : upsc.gov.in

For IAS, you have to appear for civil service exam, it is much more competitive than IES becuase candidates from all fields apply for this exam.
28th November 2015, 12:48 PM
Unregistered

I'm doing my final year BE I need to become IES officer can I? And my date of birth is 18th October 1995 is myself eligible?
19th August 2017, 09:31 PM
Unregistered

I am studying final year b.tech. Could you please tell me, what is the syllabus,exam pattern and cut of marks about this IES?
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?