25th July 2015, 03:17 AM
Unregistered

On the basis of GATE preparation can I crack CAT 2016?

I am an undergraduate student,now in mechanical engineering final year. I am now doing GATE classes. On the basis of GATE study,can I appear for the CAT exam 2016 or I have to join the other classes for CAT?
plz help me to sort out this confusion?

25th July 2015, 01:45 PM
Pwg_31
Senior Member+

Default Re: On the basis of GATE preparation can I crack CAT 2016?

You wont be able to crack the CAT exam on the basis of your preparation of GATE. The reasons for this are-

>> GATE is a technical examination while CAT is for the management courses. Since both are of different areas so their preparation should also be different.

>> In GATE, Aptitude and English comes for only 15 marks but in CAT, these two hold the maximum weight age. Also, the level also increase in case of the CAT regarding these two subjects.

>> In GATE exam, the technical subjects are taught in detail while in CAT exam, there is no need to prepare for these because they are not tested.

>> In CAT Reasoning, aptitude and English are the major ones which are tested which you might have not prepared so well as they are of not so importance in GATE.

So, you definitely need to do a separate coaching for the CAT exam if you need to get in one of the IIM's. One of the best are-
Carrer launcher.

You can go through its profile and check whether it suits you or not.
25th July 2015, 03:58 PM
deepak0703

* Spend atleast 15 hours a week for GATE preparation. Dedicate sufficient time for it. As I mentioned earlier, NO DISTRACTIONS!
* Solve previous year's question papers. That'll give you a feel of how the exam would be.
* Working smart alone isn't sufficient. Because there'll always be smarter people than you. Work hard too, and be consistent.
25th July 2015, 06:36 PM
sagarika 199193
Senior Member+++

CAT(Common Admission Test) is conducted by IIMs & GATE(Graduate Aptitude Test Of Engineering) is conducted jointly by IISc & IITs.Now , you are going for GATE classis.You can appear for CAT 2016 , but On the basis of GATE preparation , you can not crack the CAT exam without CAT preparation.Now a time you should concentrate on GATE only & Try to crack GATE to get admission in M.E/M.tech.After GATE exam , you can join the CAT Classis for CAT preparation.

GATE Exam Pattern
15% Question asked from General Aptitude & 85% Question asked from subject of paper.
1/3 Nagative marks for 1 Mark Questions
2/3 Nagative Mark For 2 Mark Questions

GATE 2016 Exam will be held from Last week of January , 2016 to 3rd week of Febuary ,2016.

CAT Syllabus
- Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation
- Verbal Ability & Logical Reasoning
Total Question : 100 Marks
3 Marks For Each & 1 Nagative Mark For Each Wrong Answer.

CAT Important Dates
- Starting Application Date : 26/07/2015
- Last Date Of Application : 06/08/2015
- CAT Exam Date : 29/11/2015
- CAT Result Date : December , 2015
25th July 2015, 07:32 PM
RSJ66
Senior Member++

# Of course, it is possible. It is quite possible to appear for both GATE as well as CAT examination.

# In reality, the syllabus and required strategy are entirely different for both GATE and CAT.

# Only the sincerity, dedication and hard work will help in success both in GATE and CAT.

# Basically, the technical & engineering knowledge of candidate is judged in GATE examination. On the other hand, the knowledge in mathematics and English language is judge in the CAT examination.

# Names of few recommended books for CAT are:

* Quantum CAT: Quantitative Aptitude Common Admission Test for Admission inot IIMs by Sarvesh K Verma
* The Pearson Guide to Quantitative Aptitude and Data Interpretation for the CAT by Nishit Sinha
* How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning for the the CAT Common Admission Test by Arun Sharma
* The Peason Guide to Verbal Ability and Logical Reasoning for the CAT by Nishit K. Sinha
25th July 2015, 08:05 PM
Blessmegod
Senior Member+++++

GATE means Graduate Aptitude test in Engineering. This examination is for admission in top engineering colleges of India for master of technology. Whereas CAT stands for the Common Admission Test.

CAT is conducted by Indian Institute of Management for Master of Business Administration. Both CAT and GATE has entirely different syllabus. Then how can preparation of GATE exam help you to crack CAT exam.

GATE exam consists of preparation of questions from technical subjects of engineering. So you need to prepare for the CAT exam in different coaching.
25th July 2015, 08:18 PM
ganiebizer
Senior Member+

* GATE :- Graduation Aptitude Test in Engineering .
* Basically GATE is the entrance for students who interested to join in M.tech In GATE :-
Question Paper consists of 90 questions
Based on the following topics
* Mathematics
* Quantitative ability and Aptitude reasoning .
* Branch core subjects .

Based on the caste , Qualifying percentile will be there .
* If you got AI rank from 1-10 top
you can secure seat in IIT and IES.

Actually for GATE
* coaching is not necessary .
* self preparation is the best method to crack the exam
* Practicing the previous papers and participating in mock tests are the tricks to crack the exam .

==>CAT :-
Common Admission Test of IIM.
* Generally CAT is very easy as compared to GATE .
In CAT :-
questions are from the following topics :-
* Quantitative Ability and Data interpretation.
* Verbal ability and logical reasoning .

As in GATE
* Quantitative Ability and aptitude reasoning will be covered .
So you have to concentrate only on
* Data interpretation and verbal ability

* My suggestion is coaching is not needed for CAT.
* you can prepare on your own
if you are talented candidate otherwise coaching is better .
25th July 2015, 08:34 PM
aashisranjan784
Senior Member+++++

GATE stands for the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering. This entrance exam is of objective type and is of 100 marks consisting of questions from core subjects of different streams of engineering and aptitude of 15 marks.

It is conducted by Indian Institute of Technology for candidates who want to take admission in master of technology in various institutes of engineering in India.

While preparing for the GATE exam in coaching, you must have studied subjects like Thermal and hydraulic machines, refrigeration, IC engines, Powerplant etc and engineering mathematics for the GATE exam.

Now coming to CAT, which is the Common Admission test conducted by the Indian Institute of Management for Master of business administration. GATE and CAT has entirely different syllabus then how can your preparation of GATE exam will be useful for CAT exam, only aptitude section can help you a bit.

You need to join coaching institutes like TIME or Career launcher for CAT exam preparation.
26th July 2015, 12:32 PM
sanju sonam

Full form of GATE is Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering.

Full form of CAT is Common Admission Test.

First of all, i would like to tell you that GATE and CAT is entirely different from one-another.

GATE exam is conducted by IIT(Indian Institute of Technology) for those candidates who want to do M.Tech from a recognised university or colleges.

CAT exam is conducted by IIM(Indian Institute of Management) for those candidates who want to do MBA from any recognised university or colleges.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?