19th May 2010, 03:38 PM
vibhoriyer

Which is the BEST time to prepare GATE: Final year or Prefinal year?

Hello
I am doing Electronics Engineering from Mumbai University. I am going to complete my first year of engineering this June. I am willing to opt for M.Tech from IIT's.

When I should start preparing for GATE? What is the Best time to appear in GATE,final Year or Pre final year? And from where we need to prepare?

Where I will get Syllabus of Examination?

If I gave GATE in my Final year and got selected then when I need to start my application procedure i.e I need to start immediately or after my final year.

What is the average placement an M.Tech from IIT gets?

Please guide me.

Regards
Vibhor

19th May 2010, 05:33 PM
Aakash Malhotra

Default Re: Which is the BEST time to prepare GATE: Final year or Prefinal year?

Its always pre-final year,,, everything depends on your potential,strength....
19th May 2010, 07:43 PM
Harshita21

Default Re: Which is the BEST time to prepare GATE: Final year or Prefinal year?

Start preparing it from Prefinal year because you get sufficient time for preparing your GATE exam. This exam held in February second Sunday till your exam your are in 8th sem so why not start preparing it from 5th sem. as you want IIT.

Best of luck
19th May 2010, 09:16 PM
sg3125
Banned

Surely prefinal year,if you get a lot of time,it means greater prospect and preparation.In my opnion candidate should prepare from day 1.That's should be sprit of competition.
19th May 2010, 11:24 PM
rahul k
Senior Member+++++

dear friend

Preparation for GATE is an ongoing process, and is supposed to happen in stages.
First get your fundamentals right, and then test yourself on those fundamentals.
So prepare for this exams from now, because for this exams you have to prepare
in advance and join coaching institute to clear this exam. syllabus of gate exams
are availiable in the below attach file, so please get it from there.

ok
all the best.
Attached Files
File Type: zip GATE_Syllabus_(All_Branches).zip(1.39 MB, 112 views)
20th May 2010, 04:18 AM
sanjusays

hello....Start preparing from pre final year itself because then when you approach your final yr you would have already completed studying your course and then you can have ample time to revise and solve mock tests and previous year papers....you can check out the syllabus on

http://www.gate.iitb.ac.in/gate2010_website/syllabi/elect.php

you can apply to different iit's once you have your score card in hand.....

average placement of every iit is different...having said that you can get 8-10 lac provided you perform well in your 2 yr stay at the iit and you have managed to get into a good iit....
20th May 2010, 12:34 PM
herpreet singh

Location: herpreet singh s/o sr. kuljeet singh 215/371 harjeet bhawan bhashirat ganj lucknow -226004

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhoriyer View Post
Hello
I am doing Electronics Engineering from Mumbai University. I am going to complete my first year of engineering this June. I am willing to opt for M.Tech from IIT's.

When I should start preparing for GATE? What is the Best time to appear in GATE,final Year or Pre final year? And from where we need to prepare?

If I gave GATE in my Final year and got selected then when I need to start my application procedure i.e I need to start immediately or after my final year.

Please guide me.

Regards
Vibhor
hi i wanna tell u that u can prepare it for from ur 6th semester ok this will be gud for u & u can prepare it for that session ok i think it will help u
21st May 2010, 03:34 PM
Harshita21

Best preparing time for GATE is your vaction after six semister
start if after six semister
give it full time .
And you can also prepare when your sessionals are done.

So best of luck
21st May 2010, 04:31 PM
vibhoriyer

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Can I appear in GATE in my prefinal year.
For how many years GATE score is valid?

Regards
15th June 2010, 09:41 PM
pinnache

both as because you should try for the best in you.
that's all.
31st July 2010, 11:13 PM
subhasish
Senior Member++

hello friend
there is no specific time for the preparation of the GATE exam ,you will have to start it from the start of your semester ,if you have not started it then do not worry just
start it from now do not wait for any specific time.

All the best..
31st August 2010, 02:32 PM
solution
Senior Member++++

hello friend

final is the better time for take a preparation on gate.

you can get previous year Gate 2010 Sample papers on CS with Solutions in the given below sites

1.www.gateforum.com.

2.www.onestopgate.com.

all the best...............
31st August 2010, 03:44 PM
rajesh gupta 1

Hello friend;

Three to four month serious study is sufficient

for GATE examination.So for safty best time to

appear in GATE is Pre final year.So you start

Preparation from fifth sem.
30th October 2010, 11:08 PM
JAMESS
Senior Member+++++

if you want to prepare for GATE then i will suggest to start preparation from the 2nd year. then appear one time in prefinal year once to see your ability and also to make some experience. after that in final year appear with full preparation and make a good result.

you will get the syllabus of GATE from any IIT website. visit www.iitm.ac.in from here also you will get the syllabus.

in fourth year after your result publication you have to take application form from different institution to take admission in m.tech. but if you want to take admission with your third year GATE result then you have to apply in your fourth year. actually GATE scorecard is valid for two years. now you may take admission any time within these two years with the GATE result.

IIT is the best choice for M.Tech. job opportunity from IIT is very high.

best of luck.
1st November 2010, 12:31 AM
babydoll

Hi!
As you are in first year of engineering so this is not the right time for preparing for the GATE exam. As you know you can appear for GATE from pre final year of engineering so better to prepare from fourth semester.
Now you can concentrate on your ongoing study which is very much important for you as you are new in this field.
Best of luck!!!!
1st November 2010, 03:41 PM
amit04051988
Senior Member+

hello friend

the best time is to prepare is at pre-final year because you will get sufficient time to prepare for it and most of the question are from subject that we have studied in pre-final year.

best of luck
15th November 2010, 08:43 PM
malini k

Dear friend,
You can prepare for GATE in pre-final year since you get enough time to prepare and since the score card validity is two years you can make use of the two opportunities also.
You have to get about 98% to get into IITs
Try to cover the entire portions in the syllabus
and try to work out all previous question papers
Good luck friend
16th December 2010, 03:28 PM
Swaminathan077

Smile Re: Which is the BEST time to prepare GATE: Final year or Prefinal year?

dear

i think 3rd year is the best time to start your preparation because

3rd year syllabus is covered in GATE exam and if you cover your syllabus of

GATE together with your studies then you can easily finish your preparation

good day............
21st December 2010, 04:34 PM
Unregistered

how prepare for gate in one month duration
6th January 2011, 10:12 PM
shiraj
Senior Member+

i think you should start preparing from pre-final year as you will get ample of time to prepare for it and also you can join some coaching centers through which you will be well versed with the syllabus and your preparation for it...so best of luck.
10th January 2011, 08:43 PM
Unregistered

2nd year,2nd semester.
15th January 2011, 03:01 PM
surendergora
Senior Member++++

I think prefinal would be good as most of the stidents start preparing in prefinal year.
1st February 2011, 06:01 PM
anand483

a healthy four months study is sufficient. those who study one year doesn't mean they have an egde.all depends on how well you manage yourself./
-a once reading of the entire syllabus
- questions solving from g.k publishers/galgotia
-refereshing from made easy psu materials and previous year question papers
-less people focus on general aptitude questions, if you do you have an edge here
-you are in with a a healthy percentile!!!
26th March 2011, 12:49 PM
saswat1989
Senior Member+

hi
It is best to start your prepartion from pre final year ,this will give you an advantage over others however prepare harder in the final year for good score .
As mostly by final year you would have covered almost all syllabus of GATE in your BTECH .
27th April 2011, 09:43 AM
zeeshan87
Senior Member+

hii, start preparing just give a try you will come to knopw what is this exactly.

and you will more seriousness and better preparation in next attempt best of luck.
22nd May 2011, 12:40 AM
Unregistered

which is better preparing for psu or gate?
22nd June 2011, 09:51 PM
Unregistered

i am doing coaching of gate presently i am in 7 sem i want to know that from the gate syllabus what are the other exam which i give
22nd June 2011, 11:09 PM
Unregistered

i am 3rd semester student pursuing electronics & telecommunication engineering from nagpur. when should i start to prepare for gate examination? is it possible to crack the gate exam without coaching class?
13th August 2011, 01:41 PM
Unregistered

which forms should i fill o get goverment job after b.tech
18th September 2011, 05:56 PM
Unregistered

Sir, I have completed MCA 2008 passout, Can I elligible for gate exam? Sir, Can you tell me, two months are sufficiant period for gate 2012 preperation?
22nd September 2011, 10:54 PM
Unregistered

sir,i m 2nd semister student persuing electrical engineering from west bengal. can u plz tell me the best books for all the subjects of EE with their authors name?
18th December 2011, 05:31 AM
Unregistered

hi i'm rahul
after 1st sem shall i start preparation for gate?
19th December 2011, 07:39 PM
jayparikh

Thumbs up Re: Which is the BEST time to prepare GATE: Final year or Prefinal year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhoriyer View Post
Hello

Please guide me.

Regards
Vibhor
Which is the BEST time to prepare GATE: Final year or Prefinal year?

Hi friend,

see,from 2012 onwards, only final year students can sit for GATE.

pre-final year student can not sit for gate.

Syllabus:-

You can refer following website for complete syllabus of your field:-

www.gate.iitb.ac.in

when to apply for IIT:-

IITs start taking application for the admission exact after the declaration of GATE result.

so, you have to apply for IITs immediately after declaration of GATE result.

* As per my observation of few years, average package for M.Tech , IIT student get around 6-7 L.P.A

so,go ahead. Hope I have solve all your queries.

Best of luck

regards.
30th January 2012, 11:31 AM
Unregistered

can we prepare for gate by self study???????i mean at home???? is it necessary to join a private institute for its preparation??????????
4th June 2012, 12:16 PM
Unregistered

how much percentage do 3rd yr syllabus occupy of d gate papr??
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?