12th December 2010, 09:49 PM
nadmad

Doing final year Business Administration : Scope in Merchant Navy for me? How to apply for the course?

This is my last year i am pursuing graduation in buisness administration i want to know about is there is any scope for me in merchant navy if there is then how can i apply for the same.

20th December 2010, 01:49 AM
nishant1110

Default Re: Doing final year Business Administration : Scope in Merchant Navy for me? How to apply for the course?

You can go into merchant navy as they need many business administration graduates & PGs there. (I know this as my relative is posted on SS Swarnalaxmi) Moreover, the pay & perks are awesome.

Detailed info is available at www.merchantnavy.info

One institute where you can directly get job-cum-trainee employment without additional training is the Seahorse in Andhra Pradesh (www.seahorseacademy.com)

You can get info on scholarships at
www.scholarshipsinindia.com/merchant_navy_courses_in_india.html

Sorry I could not fit in more info due to time constraint
20th December 2010, 03:32 AM
ndpiparava

Default Re: Doing final year Business Administration : Scope in Merchant Navy for me? How to apply for the course?

hi dear,Indian merchant navy ships are operated by public and private sector shipping companies and manned by trained navigators, marine engineers and crews. The responsibility for training of personnel for the Indian merchant navy lies with Government of India functioning through the Ministry of Surface Transport. Training institutions under the direct administrative control of the Directorate General of Shipping have been established.

Government maritime training ship ‘Chanakya,' Mumbai conducts a 3 year degree course leading to B.Sc in Nautical Sciences under the aegis of the University of Mumbai. The Directorate of Marine Engineering (DMET) Kolkata now known as Marine Engineering Research Institute (MERI) imparts marine engineering education. These are two pre-sea training institutions for maritime education. Training ship ‘Chanakya' prepares cadets for the navigation discipline. The highest post of navigating officer is that of a Master of a ship. In the case of Marine engineer the highest post is of Chief Engineer.

Certificates of competency - Navigation

Navigating officers - For navigating officers it is important to obtain a certificate of competency under the rules and regulations in India relating to the examinations of Masters and Mates in the Mercantile Marine. The first certificate of competency for the Navigating Officer's who qualify from T.S. "Chanakya" is that of Second Mate (Foreign Going). After successful completion of three years degree course in Nautical Science on Training ship "Chanakya," the cadet officer is required to complete one year in the deck department on board a merchant ship before becoming eligible for grant of Second Mates (FG) certificate of competency. During this period he is given a nominal stipend. Candidates who pass the B.Sc. (Nautical Science) examination, conducted by the University of Mumbai, are eligible for remission of sea service and certain exemptions in the certificate of competency examinations.

Second Mate Certificate of competency in the first exam for a cadet. It takes 8-10 months and students are given instruction in a nautical college for 3 months.

After possession of the certificate of competency of Second Mate (FG) such an officer is eligible to be appointed as 3rd officer/2nd officer on board a merchant ship and draws a handsome salary. For subsequent promotion, he has to render further sea service (18 months as OIC NW) to pass the higher examination namely First Mate (Foreign Going) and a further sea service of 18 months as OICNW or 1 year as CM for Master (Foreign Going). After service of 18 months the merchant navy personnel is eligible for the combined First Mate/Master's Certificate of competency examination for which coaching is imparted for taking the exam. It takes 8-10 months. For the Master's Certificate of competency mariners have to complete 36 months of sea time after the 2nd Mates exam and minimum 12 months after 1st Mates exam. The certificate of competency as Master (FG) entitles the officer to become the Captain of a merchant ship. It normally taken 10-12 year to become a Captain. The competency examinations are conducted by the Ministry of Surface Transport through the Directorate General of Shipping, Mumbai.

Training for marine engineers

Merchant Navy vessels recruit engineers who have undergone training with the Marine Engineering Research Institute (MERI) or mechanical/electrical engineers directly. When marine engineers are recruited directly they get exempted from Class II Part A examination. Thereafter they can attempt class I Part A exam after 1 ½ years sea time and Class I Part B thereafter. Other requirements for recruitment are the same for directly recruited engineers except that they do not get Class II Part A exemption.

On the marine engineering side, the lowest examination relates to the Second Class certificate of competency. Examinations are conducted by the Ministry of Surface Transport in two parts ‘A' and ‘B'. Candidates of MERI in possession of Final Passing Out Certificates are exempted from Part A. Part B of the Second Class Certificate can be obtained after completion of the qualifying sea-service and after obtaining Part ‘A' of the certificate, unless exempted as in the case of MERI cadets. After completion of the training in MERI, a cadet is taken in as a Junior Engineer Officer on merchant navy ship. Subsequently, a Junior Engineer, subject to satisfactory service and passing of requisite examinations, is posted as a Third Engineer, Second Engineer and ultimately a Chief Engineer of a ship. Examinations for marine engineers are also conducted by the Ministry of Surface Transport through the Director General Shipping, Mumbai.

Rules relating to examinations in respect of navigating officers and marine engineers are contained in Merchant Shipping (Examination of Engineers/Masters and Mates in Merchant Navy) Rules, which are priced publications.

Although Government undertakes no obligations to find employment for the trainees of T.S. Chanakya and MERI, the institutes do assist them in getting suitable employment with the India Shipping Companies.

Other entry routes into Engineering department

There are several other options to join the engine department. These are-

Apprenticeship from the naval dockyard/machinist coast guard/Indian Navy can enter on taking Part A of the Marine engineer Class IV exam. They can join as junior engineers.

ITI 2 year course with 50% can be followed by 4 months pre sea training for entry as Fitters and Petty officers.

BE Electrical/Electronic followed by 18 months training in approved marine workshops, basic safety courses and Part A of Marine Engineering Class IV exam can join the engine department.

Diploma holder in Mechanical/Ship building/Electrical Marine engineering branches followed by 2 years marine workshop training, MEO Part A exam and basic safety courses join as junior engineers or can join 2 year trainee marine engineering course.

XII with PCM and English with 50% can enter through 4 year workshop training route with 60% marks in the Marine Engineering course. They undergo 3 year course at an approved institute and become associate members of the Institution of Engineers and join merchant vessels as junior engineers. They complete sea time and take relevant courses and give the Class IV Certificate of competency examination.

Engineers from any discipline can do a one year marine engineering course from a training institution.

BE Ship building/Ship Architecture (4 yrs.) entitles candidates to join 2 year trainee marine engineering course. BE Mech/Ship Architecture with 50% can join 1 year trainee marine engineering course.
21st December 2010, 02:10 AM
nishant1110

Quite an elaborate and comprehensive post by Mr 'ndpiparava'. (Kudos!) I'd just like to add a note of caution to people who take social life above professional life. The jobs in Merchant Navy are really demanding. By this I mean that you may have to stay away from home, cut off from your family and society, and without communication for a minimum of 6 months in a year. Please consider this while deciding your scope in the Merchant Navy
27th January 2011, 06:18 PM
Unregistered

cn i get a job in any other company except sea field if i have done from meri kolkata
12th April 2011, 01:26 AM
Unregistered

Which MBA TO TAKE FOR A DECK. OFFICER
19th May 2011, 01:54 PM
Unregistered

i have a Captains liecence in Merchant navy,and having a sailing exp of more then 60 months at sea,interested to shift to land base job by doing some management course such as from IIM or from any reputed business school MBA, is there any direct admission procedure based on the work experience.Is there any such reputed institute or business school where i can look for ?
16th July 2012, 05:04 PM
Unregistered

I am persuing Bachelor in Management Science: Scope in Merchant Navy for me? How to apply for the course?
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?