29th March 2019, 12:00 PM
Unregistered

Eligibility to join Merchant Navy for BTech(CSE) student?

Hi everyone, I am studying BTech in CSE and I am in 2nd year. I want to join Merchant Navy course. I would like to know that am I eligible or not to join Merchant Navy after completing BTech? Please tell me asap.

2nd April 2019, 02:13 AM
Warrior6782
Senior Member+

Default Re: Eligibility to join Merchant Navy for BTech(CSE) student?

Hi,
Being a (CSE) btech graduate you are not eligible for merchant navy job.
But your wish to serve as a merchant navy officer doesn't end with that as you are eligible for deck cadet and engine side jobs. For this you have to apply with your 12th qualification in which you should have PCM comprising of 60% marks and english subject with 60 marks.
Your B.tech in computer science engineering (CSE) won't give you any edge.
Students graduated in mechanical or electrical engineering are eligible for merchant navy jobs with their degree as their qualification. Later they have to undergo a "GME" course which makes them a marine engineer.
Anyways, if you are passionate about merchant navy then you can apply via 12th based qualification as i described above.

Best of luck
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?