1st February 2012, 10:33 PM
Rathasarathi

How to write the CAT entrance this year? Am I eligible for CAT exam? What is the percentage to get into IIM's?

hello! i have 70% in 10th, 63% in intermediate, 54% in degree, 70% in MCA. iam interested to write cat entrance this year. am i eligible for cat exam and how much percentile should i get to get into iim's. please reply me. waiting for reply...

2nd February 2012, 01:19 PM
prafvik

Default Re: How to write the CAT entrance this year? Am I eligible for CAT exam? What is the percentage to get into IIM's?

Yes of course you are eligible for the exam provided that you should refer the course

material such as TIME to make the concepts clear as well as perfect .

You should get minimum 98 percentile to get into IIMs
2nd February 2012, 01:39 PM
Oracle 9
Senior Member++

Default Re: How to write the CAT entrance this year? Am I eligible for CAT exam? What is the percentage to get into IIM's?

Common Aptitude Test

CAT examination is conduct for the MBA aspirants.
you are eligible for CAT.you have to perform really well for getting into good college.

CAT Minimum Eligibility

1.Graduation in any discipline from recognized university.
2.50% marks in graduation.
3.Final year student can also apply.

Entrance Examination subjects

1.Quantitative apptitude
2.English language
3.Logical reasonig
4.General awareness
2nd February 2012, 05:50 PM
nitz90
Senior Member+++++

Smile Re: How to write the CAT entrance this year? Am I eligible for CAT exam? What is the percentage to get into IIM's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathasarathi View Post
hello! i have 70% in 10th, 63% in intermediate, 54% in degree, 70% in MCA. iam interested to write cat entrance this year. am i eligible for cat exam and how much percentile should i get to get into iim's. please reply me. waiting for reply...

Eligibility Criteria For CAT

The CAT (Common Admission Test) is conducted every year for admissions to various top level MBA colleges in India like the IIMs,IMT Ghaziabad,IMD Gurgaon and many more..

For appearing in CAT, a candidate must have completed his graduation with an aggregate of 50% or above in any stream

There is no age limit, nor there is any restriction on the number of attempts for appearing in the CAT exam..

CAT will mainly test you on the following topics :-

Quantitative Aptitude

Data Interpretation

Data Sufficiency

Verbal Ability

Reading Comprehension

Logical Reasoning

CAT is now a completely online based exam in which you can select your suitable time slot and date for appearing in the exam..

For more information on CAT you can Click Here

I have also attached a few past papers of CAT along with this post for your reference..

Go through these papers and i hope they will help you out in your preparations..

Observe the pattern and the level of the questions asked in these papers..

For admissions to IIMs..you will have to score at least 99 percentile so you have to work really hard as the competition is really hard..

all the best..

With Warm Regards
Nitz
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CAT2008_Question_Paper_With_Detailed_Solutions.pdf(1.32 MB, 170 views)
File Type: pdf CAT-2007_Exam.pdf(217.4 KB, 102 views)
File Type: pdf cat2006.pdf(342.1 KB, 90 views)
File Type: pdf cat2005.pdf(1.42 MB, 89 views)
File Type: docx CAT Exam 2012 Syllabus.docx(12.3 KB, 148 views)
2nd February 2012, 05:56 PM
sahaja mallarapu

Quote:
Hi,

you are eligible to write CAT exam.

for appearing CAT exam one has to be a graduate in any stream with

minimum of 50% aggregate in graduation level.

as you have above 50% then you are eligible to write CAT exam.

there is no restriction on number of attempts.

Through CAT one can get admission into India's top B-Schools like IIM's

but CAT is really a tough entrance exam, to get into IIM's one need to get

above 98 percentile.

you can achieve this through hard work only.

All the best.
2nd February 2012, 06:11 PM
surekha_katreddy

Quote:
The eligibility for CAT entrance exam :
>>The candidate must hold a bachelor's degree with 50% marks or equivalent
CGPA
>>There is no age limit

So you are eligible to write the exam.The best institute to take coaching is TIME
and i think it costs you around 24,000 to take the coaching.

Good luck
2nd February 2012, 08:44 PM
gambhir5

Smile Re: How to write the CAT entrance this year? Am I eligible for CAT exam? What is the percentage to get into IIM's?

1. For applying to the CAT , a candidate must hold a Bachelor's Degree, with at least 50% marks or equivalent CGPA (45% in case of candidates belonging to SC/ ST or Persons with Disability), of any of the Universities or Institutes recognized by the UGC or the Ministry of HRD, Government of India.

2. The Bachelor's Degree or equivalent qualification obtained by the candidate must be of minimum three years duration after completing Higher Secondary schooling (10+2) or equivalent.

3. Candidates in their final year of graduation/ equivalent qualification and those who have completed the exams and are awaiting results are also eligible for the CAT . They must produce a certificate from the Principal / Head of the Department/ Registrar/ Director of the University / Institution certifying that he / she is currently in the final year awaiting final results.

The Common Admission Test (CAT) is a Computer Based Test in Quantitative Ability, Data Interpretation, Verbal Ability and Logical Reasoning. The Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) use the test as an important component in selecting students for the business administration programs. The test is conducted every year by one of the IIM's based on a policy of rotation. In August 2011 it was announced that Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) and the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) would use CAT, instead of JMET, as part of the student selection process of their MBA and Masters in Management programmes from the academic year 2012-14

Common Admission Test (commonly known as CAT) is stepping stone for MBA seekers to get admitted in the reputed management schools of India. CAT is conducted by Indian Institute of Management or the IIMs for admission to various levels of management courses. Apart from the Indian Institutes of Management (IIM), CAT is compulsory entrance examination for several other leading institutes like Kirloskar Institute of Management, Mudra Institute of Communication (MICA) among others.

Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) conducts CAT for management programs offered at its seven business schools. Over 2 lakh students take this examination for around 1500 seats at the IIMs.

1. CAT is basically multiple-choice objective type with around one-fourth negative marking system for every single wrong answer.
2. It traditionally consists of three sections that cover the spheres of arithmetical problem solving, statistics, logical reasoning, geometry, data interpretation, puzzles, and English language capability.
3. CAT is usually held on the third Sunday of the month of November every year.
4. The test duration is two and a half hours.
5. The number of questions varies every year.
6. This entrance test is defined as the mode of getting admission to the IIMs.
7. The exam score is declared in the second week of January.

Next stage after the declaration of the written scores is a group discussion followed by a personal interview. Candidates, who are invited for the next stage of selection, generally possess total scores over 99 percentile with balanced high scores in all the individual sections.

Application Forms

* Forms for Common Admissions Test (CAT) are available from some designated bank branches.
* Prospective students also have the option of registering online.
* One point that needs to be remembered is that candidate needs to purchase only one CAT voucher irrespective of the number of management institutes he/she is interested in applying to.
* Notification regarding the sales of CAT application appears in almost all the newspaper.

Eligibility Criteria for Common Admission Test (CAT)

* For all IIMs, the minimum eligibility criterion for admission is that the candidate must pass with at least 50% marks at the graduation level.
* Candidates appearing for the final year graduation can also apply for the CAT examinations, however they are expected to produce a certificate from the Principal/Head of the Department/Registrar/Director of the university/ institution certifying that the candidate has obtained 50% marks or equivalent based on latest available graduation scores.
* The margin is 45% for the SC or ST candidates. The percentage of marks scored by the students in the bachelor’s degree is calculated based on the common practice followed by the university or the institution from where the student has obtained the degree certificate.
* In case the candidates are awarded grades and not marks then the conversion of grades to the percentage of marks would be entirely based on the system certified by the concerned university or institution.
* If the university or the institution does not have any policy for converting the obtained grades into equivalent marks then the equivalence is established by dividing the candidate’s grades by the maximum grade of the student and then by multiplying the result with 100.

Courses Offered in CAT
Post graduate management courses are as follows -

* IIM Ahmedabad - PGP, PGP-ABM and PGP-PMP
* IIM Bangalore - PGP, PGSEM and PGPPM
* IIM Calcutta - PGP-PGDM and PGP - PGDCM
* IIM Indore - PGP and EPGP
* IIM Kozhikode - PGP
* IIM Lucknow - PGP and PGP-ABM
* RGIIM Shillong - PGP
* B. Fellow Programs in Management (FPM) (which are equivalent to Phd) of IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Bangalore, IIM Calcutta, IIM Indore, IIM Kozhilwde, and IIM Lucknow.PATTERN OF EXAMINATION
There are four separate sections in the CAT question paper:

1. Verbal Ability
2. Reading Comprehension
3. Problem Solving
4. Data Interpretation

These sections comprise multiple choices questions and they are required to be answered only by using HB pencil on a computer coded answer paper. For every single incorrect answer the students would get negative marks.

The IIMs change the pattern of question every year to avoid predictability. Deeper understanding of the various concepts and their applications are required to be successful in the CAT.

The four sub-sections of Common Admission Test -

* Quantitative Ability (QA): In this section, the questions are designed such that there is a lot of stress implied on reasoning skills more than on their computational skills.
* Data Interpretation (DI): This section presents data to the candidate in forms such as case lets, pie diagrams, bar graphs, etc so as to evaluate the candidate’s skills at analyzing the given information. Data Sufficiency questions in this section are based on basic mathematics.
* Reading Comprehension (RC): This section has around 6-8 passages with an overall length of 4500-5500 words and about 50 questions to answer in a span of about 30 minutes. However this too can vary according to the level of difficulty of questions.
* Verbal Ability (VA): This section explores the candidate’s understanding of the English Language and also tests them on their Reasoning Skills. The questions in this section typically comprise sentence correction, sentence sequencing, verbal reasoning etc.SYLLABUS
There is no defined syllabus for CAT. It is basically an aptitude test and it tests the knowledge and analytical skills of the candidates. The syllabus for this entrance test examination changes every single year and is tentative to change. Questions of this exam usually come from the several categories like for instance, verbal ability and reasoning, reading comprehension, quantitative skills, data interpretation and analytical and logical reasoning. These are the main sections from where the questions are likely to come.

Selection Process
The final results of the CAT are announced on the official CAT website. After the written exam of CAT, the prospective candidates are ranked as per the scores obtained by them and the best of candidates are called by the IIMs. At this time, the other renowned business management schools, which have accepted the scores of CAT for the admissions also start sending their call letters to the short-listed candidates. The candidates receiving the call letters need to buy the application forms of these other colleges and apply to them separately. After the written test, the selected students have to undergo a group discussion and a personal interview. Group discussions are more like a stress interview where the students are posed with real problems and situations about which they need to think and discuss and reach at an amicable solution. Then at last there is the individual interview that is equally detailed and important in nature.

Common Admission Test or the CAT is considered to be the most significant requirement for a student seeking admission to the prestigious business management schools of India. The percentile obtained in CAT is reviewed by the B-Schools of the country for short-listing the suitable candidates for admissions to their several MBA Programs. CAT is also considered as one of the most competitive entrance exams for judging the potential and knowledge skills of the candidates interested in pursuing a career in business administration and management.
2nd February 2012, 08:47 PM
gambhir5

1. For applying to the CAT , a candidate must hold a Bachelor's Degree, with at least 50% marks or equivalent CGPA (45% in case of candidates belonging to SC/ ST or Persons with Disability), of any of the Universities or Institutes recognized by the UGC or the Ministry of HRD, Government of India.

2. The Bachelor's Degree or equivalent qualification obtained by the candidate must be of minimum three years duration after completing Higher Secondary schooling (10+2) or equivalent.

3. Candidates in their final year of graduation/ equivalent qualification and those who have completed the exams and are awaiting results are also eligible for the CAT . They must produce a certificate from the Principal / Head of the Department/ Registrar/ Director of the University / Institution certifying that he / she is currently in the final year awaiting final results.

The Common Admission Test (CAT) is a Computer Based Test in Quantitative Ability, Data Interpretation, Verbal Ability and Logical Reasoning. The Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) use the test as an important component in selecting students for the business administration programs. The test is conducted every year by one of the IIM's based on a policy of rotation. In August 2011 it was announced that Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) and the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) would use CAT, instead of JMET, as part of the student selection process of their MBA and Masters in Management programmes from the academic year 2012-14

Common Admission Test (commonly known as CAT) is stepping stone for MBA seekers to get admitted in the reputed management schools of India. CAT is conducted by Indian Institute of Management or the IIMs for admission to various levels of management courses. Apart from the Indian Institutes of Management (IIM), CAT is compulsory entrance examination for several other leading institutes like Kirloskar Institute of Management, Mudra Institute of Communication (MICA) among others.

Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) conducts CAT for management programs offered at its seven business schools. Over 2 lakh students take this examination for around 1500 seats at the IIMs.

1. CAT is basically multiple-choice objective type with around one-fourth negative marking system for every single wrong answer.
2. It traditionally consists of three sections that cover the spheres of arithmetical problem solving, statistics, logical reasoning, geometry, data interpretation, puzzles, and English language capability.
3. CAT is usually held on the third Sunday of the month of November every year.
4. The test duration is two and a half hours.
5. The number of questions varies every year.
6. This entrance test is defined as the mode of getting admission to the IIMs.
7. The exam score is declared in the second week of January.

Next stage after the declaration of the written scores is a group discussion followed by a personal interview. Candidates, who are invited for the next stage of selection, generally possess total scores over 99 percentile with balanced high scores in all the individual sections.

Application Forms

* Forms for Common Admissions Test (CAT) are available from some designated bank branches.
* Prospective students also have the option of registering online.
* One point that needs to be remembered is that candidate needs to purchase only one CAT voucher irrespective of the number of management institutes he/she is interested in applying to.
* Notification regarding the sales of CAT application appears in almost all the newspaper.

Eligibility Criteria for Common Admission Test (CAT)

* For all IIMs, the minimum eligibility criterion for admission is that the candidate must pass with at least 50% marks at the graduation level.
* Candidates appearing for the final year graduation can also apply for the CAT examinations, however they are expected to produce a certificate from the Principal/Head of the Department/Registrar/Director of the university/ institution certifying that the candidate has obtained 50% marks or equivalent based on latest available graduation scores.
* The margin is 45% for the SC or ST candidates. The percentage of marks scored by the students in the bachelor’s degree is calculated based on the common practice followed by the university or the institution from where the student has obtained the degree certificate.
* In case the candidates are awarded grades and not marks then the conversion of grades to the percentage of marks would be entirely based on the system certified by the concerned university or institution.
* If the university or the institution does not have any policy for converting the obtained grades into equivalent marks then the equivalence is established by dividing the candidate’s grades by the maximum grade of the student and then by multiplying the result with 100.

Courses Offered in CAT
Post graduate management courses are as follows -

* IIM Ahmedabad - PGP, PGP-ABM and PGP-PMP
* IIM Bangalore - PGP, PGSEM and PGPPM
* IIM Calcutta - PGP-PGDM and PGP - PGDCM
* IIM Indore - PGP and EPGP
* IIM Kozhikode - PGP
* IIM Lucknow - PGP and PGP-ABM
* RGIIM Shillong - PGP
* B. Fellow Programs in Management (FPM) (which are equivalent to Phd) of IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Bangalore, IIM Calcutta, IIM Indore, IIM Kozhilwde, and IIM Lucknow.PATTERN OF EXAMINATION
There are four separate sections in the CAT question paper:

1. Verbal Ability
2. Reading Comprehension
3. Problem Solving
4. Data Interpretation

These sections comprise multiple choices questions and they are required to be answered only by using HB pencil on a computer coded answer paper. For every single incorrect answer the students would get negative marks.

The IIMs change the pattern of question every year to avoid predictability. Deeper understanding of the various concepts and their applications are required to be successful in the CAT.

The four sub-sections of Common Admission Test -

* Quantitative Ability (QA): In this section, the questions are designed such that there is a lot of stress implied on reasoning skills more than on their computational skills.
* Data Interpretation (DI): This section presents data to the candidate in forms such as case lets, pie diagrams, bar graphs, etc so as to evaluate the candidate’s skills at analyzing the given information. Data Sufficiency questions in this section are based on basic mathematics.
* Reading Comprehension (RC): This section has around 6-8 passages with an overall length of 4500-5500 words and about 50 questions to answer in a span of about 30 minutes. However this too can vary according to the level of difficulty of questions.
* Verbal Ability (VA): This section explores the candidate’s understanding of the English Language and also tests them on their Reasoning Skills. The questions in this section typically comprise sentence correction, sentence sequencing, verbal reasoning etc.SYLLABUS
There is no defined syllabus for CAT. It is basically an aptitude test and it tests the knowledge and analytical skills of the candidates. The syllabus for this entrance test examination changes every single year and is tentative to change. Questions of this exam usually come from the several categories like for instance, verbal ability and reasoning, reading comprehension, quantitative skills, data interpretation and analytical and logical reasoning. These are the main sections from where the questions are likely to come.

Selection Process
The final results of the CAT are announced on the official CAT website. After the written exam of CAT, the prospective candidates are ranked as per the scores obtained by them and the best of candidates are called by the IIMs. At this time, the other renowned business management schools, which have accepted the scores of CAT for the admissions also start sending their call letters to the short-listed candidates. The candidates receiving the call letters need to buy the application forms of these other colleges and apply to them separately. After the written test, the selected students have to undergo a group discussion and a personal interview. Group discussions are more like a stress interview where the students are posed with real problems and situations about which they need to think and discuss and reach at an amicable solution. Then at last there is the individual interview that is equally detailed and important in nature.

Common Admission Test or the CAT is considered to be the most significant requirement for a student seeking admission to the prestigious business management schools of India. The percentile obtained in CAT is reviewed by the B-Schools of the country for short-listing the suitable candidates for admissions to their several MBA Programs. CAT is also considered as one of the most competitive entrance exams for judging the potential and knowledge skills of the candidates interested in pursuing a career in business administration and management.

with gratitude
eshan
2nd February 2012, 10:14 PM
BISWARUPYOGI
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
Yes,You are applicable in CAT entrance exam.Because your graduation marks is above 50%.

Those candidate have completed graduation degree with above 50% marks are applicable for CAT exam but your degree must be recognized.

There is no age limitation.

For SC/ST candidate the percentage is 45 % in graduation.

Final year student are applicable for This exam.

This year CAT exam date already over so you can try for NEXT year.

IIM'S are the top most MBA college in India.So the IIM'S have their own eligibility criteria.

Those candidate have completed graduation with above 50% marks from recognized university are applicable for IIM'S .Marks relaxation is provide for SC/ST category.

Final year student are applicable for this post.

If you want to go for IIM'S , then you must score good in CAT exam.I have provide the IIM'S cutoff so please check it out.

IIM Ahmedabad (IIMA)you should have around 99.3 percentile overall .

IIM Bangalore (IIMB)profile based around 95 percentile overall.

IIM Lucknow(IIML)you should have profile based around 97 percentile.

IIM Calcutta(IIMC)you should have around 98.96 percentile overall

IIM Indore(IIMI)you should have around 98 percentile overall

IIM Shilong(IIMS) you should have minimum 80% marks in graduation as well as 85 percentile overall

I have attached some CAT question paper so please check out the question paper.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cat-2007-Paper-Set-222.pdf(61.1 KB, 100 views)
File Type: pdf Cat-2007-Set-222-Solution.pdf(61.1 KB, 100 views)
File Type: pdf CAT-2008-Analysis-by-Career-Launcher.pdf(61.1 KB, 103 views)
File Type: pdf CAT-2008-Analysis-by-TCYonline.pdf(60.9 KB, 121 views)
17th May 2013, 05:38 PM
amit89itbhu
Senior Member+++

Hi

These are the steps you need to follow

1. Purchase the voucher from Selected Axis Bank from August- September

2. Apply online with the help of voucher.

3. Choose date, time , slot for Online exam scheduled between 16th October -11 November 2013

4. CAT result: 2nd week of January

if you get 98+ percentile you would get calls from various IIM

You would be asked to fill online form of individual IIMs, Few IIMs may require you to send some documents

You would be called for GD/WAT and PI.
Your final selection is based on
10th, 12th, work ex, graduation marks, GD/WAT, PI extra curriculum

All the Best
27th May 2013, 12:37 PM
Shaenma
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
You are most definitely eligible to give the CAT exam. You have got very good marks both at graduation level and post graduation level so without an iota of doubt and anxiety quickly apply for this year's exam as the notification for this year's exam is already out.

CAT stands for Common Admission Test. It is one of the most popular MBA Entrance exams and one of the toughest to crack as well. It is conducted by the one of the most prestigious MBA Institute in India- the IIM's. Apart from IIM, there is a list of other top grade B-Schools which accepts this score. For MBA aspirants this exam is possibly the end-all and be-all of everything.

MBA is a post graduation degree therefore you need to possess a bachelor's degree first to apply for this course. This degree can be attained in any discipline of your choice from a recognized university. Even final year candidates can also apply.

You need to score at least 50% of marks in aggregate if you are a general category candidate. For the SC/ST/PWD Candidates the percentage to secure is 45% of marks in aggregate.

In the written exam there will be two sections to answer:
  1. Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation
  2. Verbal Ability & Logical Reasoning.
  • Total Time Limit:- 70 mins (for each section)
  • Total Number of Questions:- 30 questions (from each section)
  • Reading Time: 15 minutes

The admission process generally varies from one institution to the other. Some IIMs apart from the written examination gives importance to the academic background of the candidate and also on the kind of co-curricular activities he/she has done. Work experience is also another important factor. The CAT exam does not ends with the written exam by the way. There is a group discussion and interview session to crack as well.

Hope this helps :-> :->
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?