24th August 2017, 04:23 AM
Unregistered

Is M.Tech necessary to become a good structural engineering in future or B.Tech is enough with experience?

Hi, I am Sumit and I am doing BE in Civil branch from a reputed college of my area (MBM engineering college, jodhpur). Currently, I am in 4th semester and I want to build my career in design field (structural design),
so what should I do next
1- prepare for gate and then do Mtech in structural
2- make a good command on structure topics and learn some analysis software like ETABS, Sap, Staad etc and after completing BE work for a design firm.

Is M.Tech necessary for becoming a good structural engineer? or BTech + 2-year experience of the design firm is enough?

Waiting for your reply.

25th August 2017, 09:01 AM
manjira...

Default Re: Is M.Tech necessary to become a good structural engineering in future or B.Tech is enough with experience?

There is no such mandatory condition that M.Tech degree can only make you a good structural engineer. If you are able to start your career as a structural engineer in a reputed company then you should go for it.

There are many companies which give more weightage toward M.Tech and for some companies experience is more important than M.Tech. However I will suggest you to prepare for GATE and pursue M.Tech course because it will provide you a broader prospect than B.Tech and experience. After M.Tech you can apply directly in the PSUs. The GATE rank will help you to get a job in government construction agencies. With a M.Tech degree the starting base will be much better than if you would have started with B.Tech.

It is also true that after acquiring an experience of 10 years from a reputed company you will be equivalent to a M.Tech degree holder. Once you start working then the only thing that will matter is your experience and the companies reputation that you have worked with.
25th August 2017, 09:15 PM
starberry

Default Re: Is M.Tech necessary to become a good structural engineering in future or B.Tech is enough with experience?

Both options are good and have great career prospective.

You can pursue B.E with other learning areas like analysis software you stated. This will give you opportunities based upon your qualification and talents.

You can pursue M.Tech from a good institution like IIT or NIT after clearing GATE, this will make you directly eligible for higher post in the company. M.Tech is a better option as compared to just B.E even with other specialization courses. There are some job opportunities and positions given just to Masters candidates. Hence, if feasible you must go for M.Tech.
26th August 2017, 10:32 PM
Solo13
Senior Member+

No, M.tech is not necessary to make a strong career in structural design.
If you have a good technical knowledge in your field and you will get a platform to perform well than your future will be bright.

If you will get any job and you will gain more than 2 years of experience than you can switch to more secure jobs.
20th December 2020, 09:01 PM
Unregistered

is it necessar to do both m.tech and b.tech to get a bachelor degree in structural engineeringng
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?