23rd February 2011, 02:01 AM
shinystar934

Reference books for preparation of Civil Services exams through self study?

Hello,
I know nothing is sufficient till last breath but if someone is not able to do coaching then what books or studymaterial are sufficient for him to complete syllabus or crack both prelims & mains. In the mean time if coaching is needed then it will be taken.Plz tell.
Thanks

23rd February 2011, 10:34 AM
deep_4
Senior Member+++++

Arrow Re: Reference books for preparation of Civil Services exams through self study?

Civil Service Exam Study Material/books.

Well shinystar, its very nice to you that you wrote a very nice sentence in your Thread, i.e Nothing is sufficient till last breath. Yeah !! we will never satisfied till the last breath.

For you i am giving you brief Knowledge about Books and study material, From where you can study For Civil Service Exam on you own.

Basically Civil Service Exam is having General Studies One paper and Optional Subjects is 2nd Paper.

In General Studies, You will find syllabus Like Indian History, Geography, Indian Polity, General Science ,Current Affairs, Mental Ability and Indian Economy etc.

For Indian History:-

Indian Struggle for Independence By Bipin Chandra, xi and xii NCERT Books

For Indian Geography

Geography Of India by Kalpana Rajaram Publisher Spectrum India

For Indian Polity

Constitution of India by Bakshi

For Indian Economy

Pratiyogita Darpan For Indian Economy

For Mental Ability

Quantitative Apitude by R.S. Aggarwal

And last The current Affairs you need to go for Manorama Year Books, Magazines, Newspapers Etc..

Good Luck for the Exam...
23rd February 2011, 03:43 PM
biswaranjan9

Default Re: Reference books for preparation of Civil Services exams through self study?

To prepare for GS regularly read The Competition Master along with India [ Images ] 2008 or 2009 (whichever is available) graduate level books on Indian Constitution, Geography and Indian History

You should choose your optional subjects on basis of your previous knowledge and interest in them No point choosing a subject which you find difficult or which you have not studied at graduate level

, Yes there is age limit. Refer to the notification available at upsc.gov.in
23rd February 2011, 07:09 PM
arvind_singh
Banned

Default Re: Reference books for preparation of Civil Services exams through self study?

as you know there are many books in the market but they all are not that good because civil service cover almost all subjects so its better if you refer every subject book individually .this type of practice will help you more

I have attached a list of books and ‘Reference’ books which candidate should undertake during the Civil Services preparations.

you can find them either in net of in market
Attached Files
File Type: docx civil service books.docx(20.2 KB, 284 views)
24th February 2011, 12:33 PM
biswaranjan9

To prepare for GS regularly read The Competition Master along with India [ Images ] 2008 or 2009 (whichever is available) graduate level books on Indian Constitution, Geography and Indian History

You should choose your optional subjects on basis of your previous knowledge and interest in them No point choosing a subject which you find difficult or which you have not studied at graduate level

as you know there are many books in the market but they all are not that good because civil service cover almost all subjects so its better if you refer every subject book individually .this type of practice will help you more

I have attached a list of books and ‘Reference’ books which candidate should undertake during the Civil Services preparations.

30th May 2011, 11:52 AM
Unregistered

hey hi..
i just decided to go for civil services exam. Me to start from scratch and to go long, so please tell how to start and go beyond the limits, i am an engineering graduate.
9th June 2011, 11:15 PM
pongapandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinystar934 View Post
Hello,
I know nothing is sufficient till last breath but if someone is not able to do coaching then what books or study material are sufficient for him to complete syllabus or crack both prelims & mains. In the mean time if coaching is needed then it will be taken.Plz tell.
Thanks
Dear friend,
If you can take coaching classes then it would be better for you.
This is because the materials provided by them contains the important topics and subtopics eliminating the unnecessary articles.
This lessens the pressure to great extent.
13th July 2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinystar934 View Post
Hello,
I know nothing is sufficient till last breath but if someone is not able to do coaching then what books or studymaterial are sufficient for him to complete syllabus or crack both prelims & mains. In the mean time if coaching is needed then it will be taken.Plz tell.
Thanks

Just take deep breath.. take proper food ... automatically .. the needful will be done ... if u find any problem pls sleep as much as u can.
28th January 2012, 11:42 AM
dimple.simple
Senior Member++

11th August 2012, 12:53 AM
Unregistered

r these books to get cracked in civil service examination ???
5th June 2013, 01:09 PM
Unregistered

if v study these r we become an I.P.S Officer???.......
2nd July 2013, 08:56 PM
Unregistered

where can i find chemistry books for civil services from Arihant Publishers?
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?