8th April 2022, 01:14 PM
mardobill

What do I need to know to get into sports journalism?

Hello! I'm going to be a sports journalist. When I was a kid, I was involved in soccer, and when I graduated from high school, I decided to go into sports journalism. What could you advise me as an information study? What do I need to know and what can I face in this profession?

12th April 2022, 05:48 PM
Hera tabrez
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: What do I need to know to get into sports journalism?

For getting started in sports journalism , you need degree in related field such as journalism.
Further to this having work experience in same field is also required.

Benefit
It's a challenging profession , which means it is deal for people who work best under pressure.
They get to work in an industry that is their passion , they get to write and have their names printed next to articles.

Drawback
The wage at the start of their career will be very low (£ 13000 -£ 15000) , one has to work long and unsociable hours which can include holidays.
13th April 2022, 12:33 AM
cookie1902
Senior Member+++++

A bachelor's degree is sufficient for this position, a sports journalist who wants to separate from the crowd and obtain advanced reporting abilities should pursue a post-graduate degree. A master's degree in journalism usually includes coursework in new digital technologies, multimedia journalism, specialty fields, and completing a thesis project. A solid portfolio and experience in the area are required to become a sports writer.

A sports journalist's job description varies depending on the employer, individual positions, and the type of media you work in. Take advantage of the on-the-job training that an internship provides by gaining as much experience as possible. For example, start a sports blog, contact an expert sports writer for assistance or a work shadow opportunity or contribute to the sports department of your school newspaper.
15th April 2022, 08:55 PM
IPHONE13

A broad understanding of the sports business, detailed industry knowledge, creativity, communication skills, ability to read and research, and connect with sports fans are some of the essential skills to make it big in this profession.
21st April 2022, 08:01 AM
player181

As far as I know, there are two paths to becoming a sports reporter. One is to study in the sports journalism department of the Sports University. The second is to study in the journalism department of ordinary universities and media universities, and enter the sports channel of TV station for internship after graduation. I don't know much about skills, I don't study journalism. But I think interviews, shorthand, generalization of problems, familiarity with training and injuries in sports teams, tactical design and adjustment, etc., should be the focus of attention. Hope that helps.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?