12th April 2019, 12:14 PM
Unregistered

Whether Commerce is not useful for joining Civil Services?

Respected Sir/Madam, I am a Commerce student and I want to join Civil Services. I am studying in Intermediate. I have heard that Commerce is not useful for Civil Services. Is this true? I am little worried about this.

13th April 2019, 10:46 PM
taputanya
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Whether Commerce is not useful for joining Civil Services?

In order to join civil services, a candidate must have minimum qualification of graduation in any stream from a recognised University and percentage is not the criteria.
So if you have completed your study with commerce stream then you are eligible to apply for civil services exam for any post except IFS.
13th April 2019, 11:39 PM
Warrior6782
Senior Member+

No, it is absolutely myth that commerce students can not become I.A.S officer.
You must be knowing that the minimum educational requirement to apply for U.P.S.C-I.A.S examination is a bachelor degree in any stream from a recognized university.

So you will be eligible after completing your bachelor in your stream like B.Com, B.B.A etc.

And when it comes about the topic that which stream, which course is useful or not to prepare for U.P.S.C-I.A.S, its absolutely rubbish because no course, no stream give exact studies that will help student to prepare for I.A.S examination. I.A.S exam is completely different that's why it doesn't do injustice with any of the bachelor course. Every Student have to prepare for I.A.S syllabus like a fresher.
14th April 2019, 01:37 AM
ajjuravi
Senior Member+++++

All the three streams i.e. Commerce, Science and Arts are equally important for joining Civil Services.

It just depends on your interest. So, just choose that stream for 11th and 12th in which you have your keen interest. In this way, you will be able to give your best in that particular stream.

After choosing Commerce in 11th and 12th, you will have to choose Commerce background courses like BBA, B.Com, etc.

In the final year of your graduation course, you can apply for Civil Services Exam and start preparing for it.

Notably, you will have to qualify three stages to qualify Civil Services Exam.
  • Preliminary Exam
  • Main Exam
  • Personal Interview
14th April 2019, 11:31 AM
geethasbj994

Hello,

You are from commerce stream so you need to wait till you become graduate in the subjects.

Indian Administrative Services is highly respected and prestigious service /post in the country.

Indian Administrative services minimum qualification is bachelor degree from recognized university.

There is no requirement of minimum percentage only passing marks are sufficient.

If you are really interested in IAS you should read your book of 11th and 12th and of graduation thoroughly to have the real knowledge about the your stream subjects.

After graduating in the subjects you can apply for IAS.

There are 3 stages in IAS that should be cleared by the candidate.

• Preliminary exam (OBJECTIVE TYPE)
• Main exam (DESCRIPTIVE TYPE)
• Personal interview

After clearing all these stages you will become IAS officer.

Good Luck
14th April 2019, 01:23 PM
aashisranjan784
Senior Member+++++

Whatever you have heard is absolutely wrong. Every year, lots of candidates from commerce discipline crack this exam. You can check recently released 2018 results. If you are interested in commerce and accountancy subjects then you should select the subject without any hesitation.

The minimum academic qualification for this examination is bachelor's degree in any stream from a recognized university. Final year graduation candidates can also apply for exam. The minimum age limit is 21 years.
9th August 2020, 01:06 AM
deepikapandey9999

The course you are interested to study for the next 3 years!

I know a lot of Econ people who are preparing for civil services and managing everything effortlessly. But I have heard that economics is one of the toughest option when it comes to civil services. You need to decide for yourself as it is one of the biggest decisions for your future. Going for humanities is something I won't personally suggest. Just for the time being aim to get into the best course in the best college, given your options. You will get enough time to think about UPSE. Choose wisely.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?