24th June 2014, 05:02 PM
Unregistered

Civil services is better than PSU engineering job or not?

I am working in Maharatna PSU as Dy. Manager with a gross salary of approx. Rs. 13 Lakhs/ year. My age is 34 years. Since after the new age limit set by UPSC, I am eligible to appear in UPSC this year. Earlier, I have cleared Mains but not made it final. Now, I want to appear in UPSC this year. But I have a doubt that whether It is advisable to join Civil service at the age of 35 years as I am earning good salary and have about 9 years of experience? Though I want to become an IAS officer as it is my dream job but I am in dilemma that it was too late for me to join IAS at this age since I feel that I could not achieve better career growth. May please advise me since because of this dilemma, I could not be able to give my best for preparing the CSP 2014.

27th June 2014, 09:14 PM
jxsab
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Civil services is better than PSU engineering job or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am working in Maharatna PSU as Dy. Manager with a gross salary of approx. Rs. 13 Lakhs/ year. My age is 34 years. Since after the new age limit set by UPSC, I am eligible to appear in UPSC this year. Earlier, I have cleared Mains but not made it final. Now, I want to appear in UPSC this year. But I have a doubt that whether It is advisable to join Civil service at the age of 35 years as I am earning good salary and have about 9 years of experience? Though I want to become an IAS officer as it is my dream job but I am in dilemma that it was too late for me to join IAS at this age since I feel that I could not achieve better career growth. May please advise me since because of this dilemma, I could not be able to give my best for preparing the CSP 2014.

As you have mentioned that you have worked in PSU and wanting to join in Civil service is a good option for serving the country in Civil services is a good option and having the desire of wanting to join in as IAS officer you need to write the IAS exam for it and it is being conducted by UPSC(Union Public Service Commission).

There are criteria's which are needed to be satisfied in order to apply for the exam and as per that you have mentioned that you are 34 years,which makes you eligible for applying for the IAS exam if you are a SC/ST category candidate as they get a upper age relaxation for the exam of 5 years extra from the prescribed limits which is 21-30 years.

If you are satisfying this then you would need to satisfy the other criteria's needed such as the Nationality standard and the Education qualification such as that the candidate should have a Citizenship in India as per the Nationality standard and the education qualification needed for the exam is that the candidate must have a Degree from a recognized university in any stream.

The candidate who satisfies all these criteria for the exam then you can apply for the IAS exam and you can do this in 2 modes:

# ONLINE

# OFFLINE

For more info check at http://www.upsc.gov.in

Regards
~Jxsab~
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?