7th July 2022, 02:45 PM
Unregistered

Can I pursue PhD in ELT through Distance Mode?

Sir, I am 56. I have sufficient ELT background teaching English Language to Primary and secondary school teachers in state -run schools in Odisha. I am an MA in English . I have got a PGCTE (CIEFL) .I have 12 years of teaching experience in ELT to teachers. Can I have a distance mode PhD programme in ELT through your university?
yours faithfully
Lalindra Amat
Resource Person
ELTI,Odisha
Maitri Vihar ,Chandrasekharpur
Bhubaneswar-23
[email protected].

7th July 2022, 06:13 PM
pearlrana
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Can I pursue PhD in ELT through Distance Mode?

Reputed universities offer PhD only by regular mode.
But if you are still employed in government sector, then you can do PhD in regular itself, provided you get a certificate from your office "No Objection Certificate".

You can try in:-

University of Madras
Annamalai University, Chidambaram
Bhartia University, Coimbatore etc.
10th July 2022, 06:16 PM
Msdhoni02

Can I pursue PhD in ELT through Distance Mode?

1. The PhD graduate program in ELT is designed to provide candidates with advanced background in the theory and practice in English language teaching.

2. PhD candidates are required to take 8 courses, pass a Qualifying Examination and submit a Thesis in order to complete their PhD studies in ELT.
10th July 2022, 06:22 PM
Dineshkumar1907
Senior Member++

Yes, and distance learning PhD programs have been around for decades. Before the internet, “distance learning” meant that students would attend accelerated classes during the summer, often staying in dorms when most of the undergrads were gone. Today, most distance learning programs are online, but some combine online and occasional meetings for seminars.

But before you consider a PhD program, understand the job market for full-time university faculty is pretty dismal. The exceptions are some STEM fields and some professions, like nursing. So if your hope is getting a PhD to teach college, then go easy. An online PhD might make getting a job that more difficult, unless it is from a very well-respected university
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?