19th June 2011, 08:09 PM
yogarajan pavithran

How many subjects do I have to prepare for GATE exam? Rules and regulations for appearing for GATE exam?

I'm a third year student . i would like to appear for the gate exam. I'm going to choose an instrumentation paper. but i'm not sure about that how many subjects i have to prepare for the exam and i would like to know about the rules and regulations for appearing gate examination.

20th June 2011, 12:19 AM
vike
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: How many subjects do I have to prepare for GATE exam? Rules and regulations for appearing for GATE exam?

Dear Friend

The syllabus of Instrumentation Engineering for GATE is as under

ENGINEERING MATHEMATICS

Linear Algebra: Matrix Algebra, Systems of linear equations, Eigen values and eigen vectors.

Calculus: Mean value theorems, Theorems of integral calculus, Evaluation of definite
and improper integrals, Partial
Derivatives, Maxima and minima, Multiple integrals, Fourier series. Vector identities,
Directional derivatives, Line, Surface and Volume integrals, Stokes, Gauss and Green’s
theorems.

Differential equations: First order equation (linear and nonlinear), Higher order linear
differential equations with constant coefficients, Method of variation of parameters,
Cauchy’s and Euler’s equations, Initial and boundary value problems,
Partial Differential Equations and variable separable method.

Complex variables: Analytic functions, Cauchy’s integral theorem and integral formula,
Taylor’s and Laurent’ series, Residue theorem, solution integrals.

Probability and Statistics: Sampling theorems, Conditional probability, Mean, median,
mode and standard deviation, Random variables, Discrete and continuous distributions,
Poisson, Normal and Binomial distribution, Correlation and regression analysis.

Numerical Methods: Solutions of non-linear algebraic equations, single and multi-step
methods for differential equations.

Transform Theory: Fourier transform, Laplace transform, Z-transform.

INSTRUMENTATION ENGINEERING

Basics of Circuits and Measurement Systems: Kirchoff’s laws, mesh and nodal Analysis.
Circuit theorems. One-port and two-port Network Functions. Static and dynamic
characteristics of Measurement Systems. Error and uncertainty analysis.
Statistical analysis of data and curve fitting.

Transducers, Mechanical Measurement and Industrial Instrumentation: Resistive,
Capacitive, Inductive and piezoelectric transducers and their signal conditioning.
Measurement of displacement, velocity and acceleration (translational and rotational),
force, torque, vibration and shock. Measurement of pressure, flow, temperature and
liquid level. Measurement of pH, conductivity, viscosity and humidity.

Analog Electronics: Characteristics of diode, BJT, JFET and MOSFET. Diode circuits.
Transistors at low and high frequencies, Amplifiers, single and multi-stage. Feedback
amplifiers. Operational amplifiers, characteristics and circuit configurations.
Instrumentation amplifier. Precision rectifier. V-to-I and I-to-V converter. Op-Amp
based active filters.
Oscillators and signal generators.

Digital Electronics: Combinational logic circuits, minimization of Boolean functions. IC
families, TTL, MOS and CMOS. Arithmetic circuits. Comparators, Schmitt trigger, timers
and mono-stable multi-vibrator. Sequential circuits, flip-flops,
counters, shift registers. Multiplexer, S/H circuit. Analog-to-Digital and Digital-to-Analog
converters. Basics of number system. Microprocessor applications, memory and input-
output interfacing. Microcontrollers.

Signals, Systems and Communications: Periodic and aperiodic signals. Impulse response,
transfer function and frequency response of first- and second order systems.
Convolution, correlation and characteristics of linear time invariant systems.
Discrete time system, impulse and frequency response. Pulse transfer function. IIR and
FIR filters. Amplitude and frequency modulation and demodulation. Sampling theorem,
pulse code modulation. Frequency and time division multiplexing.
Amplitude shift keying, frequency shift keying and pulse shift keying for digital modulation.

Electrical and Electronic Measurements: Bridges and potentiometers, measurement of
R,L and C. Measurements of voltage, current, power, power factor and energy. A.C &
D.C current probes. Extension of instrument ranges. Q-meter and waveform analyzer.
Digital voltmeter and multi-meter. Time, phase and frequency measurements. Cathode
ray oscilloscope. Serial and parallel communication. Shielding and grounding.

Control Systems and Process Control: Feedback principles. Signal flow graphs. Transient
Response, steady-state-errors. Routh and Nyquist criteria. Bode plot, root loci. Time
delay systems. Phase and gain margin. State space representation of systems.
Mechanical, hydraulic and pneumatic system components. Synchro pair, servo and step
motors. On-off, cascade, P, P-I, P-I-D, feed forward and derivative controller, Fuzzy controllers.

Analytical, Optical and Biomedical Instrumentation: Mass spectrometry. UV, visible and
IR spectrometry. X-ray and nuclear radiation measurements. Optical sources and
detectors, LED, laser, Photo-diode, photo-resistor and their characteristics.
Interferometers, applications in metrology. Basics of fiber optics. Biomedical instruments,
EEG, ECG and EMG. Clinical measurements. Ultrasonic transducers and Ultrasonography.
Principles of Computer Assisted Tomography.

Apart from core engineering question there would be some question from GENERAL APTITUDE
which comprises of following;
Verbal Ability:
English grammar, sentence completion, verbal analogies, word groups, instructions,
critical reasoning and verbal deduction.
Numerical Ability:
Numerical computation, numerical estimation, numerical reasoning and data interpretation.

There is no age limit for the examination.
3rd year/ final year/ passed out engineering(or M.Sc.) students are eligible for the exam.
You should visit GATE website for any further detail.

http://gate.iitm.ac.in/
20th June 2011, 04:48 AM
dineshpandiyan

Post Re: How many subjects do I have to prepare for GATE exam? Rules and regulations for appearing for GATE exam?

there is a no age limit for GATE exam.
GATE is valuable for only one year.
B.E final year or pre-final year are eligible for writing the exam.
the subjects you study in B.Tech degree all the 8 semesters.
20th June 2011, 07:17 AM
mobeshpal
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: How many subjects do I have to prepare for GATE exam? Rules and regulations for appearing for GATE exam?

hi dear
for GATE exam
you prepare for your only branch subject,what you taken in B.TECH.
and some apptitute question in R.S.AGRAWALA books
that is very use full for you ........

if you once crack the GATE then your future is bright ......................

for rule and regulation please you visit GATE website:---

http://www.gate.iitb.ac.in

GOOD LUCK...............
20th June 2011, 02:59 PM
Unregistered

how to stady time managemant
22nd June 2011, 01:24 AM
Unregistered

How many subjects was there in an instrumentation 3rd year/final year exam in 1982
16th August 2011, 12:56 PM
Unregistered

i am in first year . please tell me about the books i should prefer . I am doing b-tech in mechanical.
19th September 2011, 02:54 PM
Unregistered

how many time i'll eligible to faced in gate exm.
20th September 2011, 02:25 PM
Unregistered

trell me the each subject marks in cse gate
26th September 2011, 08:14 PM
peterpan10
Senior Member+

My dear friend ,
Actually it depends on your stream.
Subjects will change from one stream to another.

As I'm from CSE background I can tell you those subjects :

1.Probability

2.Graph theory

3.Partial differentiation

4.C language

5.Automata

6.Compiler

7.Object oriented programming

8.data structure

9.Digital electronics

10.Software engineering.
31st October 2011, 03:33 PM
vinay21feb
Senior Member+++

- join a gate forum .

-practice regularly .

- take online test .

-concentrate more on concept building rather than just studying .

- work on your aptitude .
1st February 2013, 07:15 PM
Unregistered

Iam a btech 3rd year CIVIL ENGG. student. Wat r the subjects should i go through for writing gate xam..?? Plz give me the details of subjects i should b perfect in.
24th July 2013, 07:07 AM
Unregistered

would u like to tell me abot the subject should be prepated for gate exam.i am final uear student of elecyronivs and communication
25th July 2013, 02:54 PM
Unregistered

hi! I am a third year civil engineering student....I want know that how much marks I have to obtained to appear gate exam and how many subject I have to study for gate exam?
18th August 2013, 12:38 PM
Cholleti Niranjan

Location: I lived in my own village palivela,Nalgonda district ,andrapradesh.

Dear aspirant,
Here I am sending a file which tells you all the details of GATE 2013.
ALL THE BEST
25th September 2014, 09:42 PM
Unregistered

How may times i can appear and how mny year is valid this GATE ranking and also where this ranking required , except M.tech.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?