1st November 2018, 06:17 PM
Unregistered

CSIR or UGC NET, which exam to appear for admission in PhD being an MPhil(Mathematics) student?

Hello everyone, I am doing MPhil(Mathematics). I want to give National Eligibility Test. But I am little confused about CSIR and UGC? Which one is for me? What exam between these two I give for PhD admission?

8th November 2018, 03:41 PM
ppsahu
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: CSIR or UGC NET, which exam to appear for admission in PhD being an MPhil(Mathematics) student?

CSIR and UGC are two different governmental departments and both conduct their respective NET entrance exam. The purpose of conducting both these exams is the same, there is a difference in the subjects involved. CSIR NET is conducted for the Science stream whereas the UGC NET is conducted for all the other streams. CSIR conducts the Joint CSIR-UGC NET, which is a National level entrance examination in the field of Science including Life Sciences, Physical Sciences, Chemical Sciences, Mathematical Sciences and Earth Atmospheric Ocean and Planetary Sciences. Candidate who have a Masters' degree in Science stream with minimum 55% marks from any recognized university are eligible to appear for CSIR NET.

UGC NET is conducted in other streams such as Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences, Commerce, etc. Candidate who have a Masters' degree in relevant stream with minimum 55% marks from any recognized university are eligible to appear for UGC NET.

So being an MPhil(Mathematics) student, you have *to appear for*CSIR-UGC NET for admission into PhD program.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?